Question 2nd hand alternatives to new Emotiva XPA Gen3 11 channel?

FunkyFoxy

Hi, as the title says, I just wanted to ask for opinions on 2nd hand alternatives to the Emotiva 11 channel for use in a 7.2.4 system. I’m about to upgrade to a Anthem AVM60 from Denon 6500h so need to add amplification too.

The Emotiva seems to tick all of the boxes and is very well reviewed and fantastic value for money. I think it looks good and is a one box solution which I like. The warranty is also a plus compared to 2nd hand. It‘s also top of my budget and I’d be happy to save some cash on 2nd hand, 2 or more box solutions. I’ve looked at Rotel, Arcam and Primare as possibilities, wondering what other combos might come recommended. The Yamaha MX5000 is out of budget. Obviously a strong and matched front 3 is crucial and ideally a matching system for the remaining 8. A P7 and P429 is the most obviously alternative, welcome your thoughts compared to the Emotiva or your suggested alternatives. Only other consideration is strong performance with music.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

UMAR 3:16

I have the amp you are referring too and you are correct, it’s a right cracker of an amp! My advice would be search for open boxes or if you get lucky the classifieds here

FunkyFoxy

I have the amp you are referring too and you are correct, it’s a right cracker of an amp! My advice would be search for open boxes or if you get lucky the classifieds here
Thanks, that‘s good to hear. Do you use it for music at all?

UMAR 3:16

The Sound Counsel

AVForums Sponsor
The Yamaha MXA power amps are the only other option to the Emotiva if you need 11 channels. Im using an XPA11 at home with the XMC-2 at the moment on the end of some Amphion 3LS's. Plenty of juice for music in 2 channel and sounds great. I think you'd need to spend some decent money to get better and you would most likely get less channels.

Dan

rccarguy2

The Yamaha isn't as powerful as the emotiva.

One options is ATI 6012. 60w X 12 which should be enough at least for side surrounds and heights and been mains and center if efficient or smaller room

FunkyFoxy

The Yamaha isn't as powerful as the emotiva.

One options is ATI 6012. 60w X 12 which should be enough at least for side surrounds and heights and been mains and center if efficient or smaller room
Thanks for the suggestion. Please excuse my ignorance but isn't that more a multi-room amp rather than a dedicated home cinema amp? I appreciate it could do the same thing but for the money, I think I'd prefer greater headroom especially for the front 3 channels?

rccarguy2

What's the difference? Also you'll find that ATI is more capable than the Yamaha.with two massive PSUs

Check power consumption...650w for the Yamaha and ATI 1800w

FunkyFoxy

What's the difference? Also you'll find that ATI is more capable than the Yamaha.with two massive PSUs

Check power consumption...650w for the Yamaha and ATI 1800w
Given the respective quoted power output, doesn’t that mean that the ATI is just hugely inefficient and is heating up my room?

rccarguy2

Umm no.

FunkyFoxy

rccarguy2

650w /11 = 60w. That's with 100% efficiency and 0% loss. Which is impossible.

Compare the ATI with all channels driven into 4 ohm load, full frequency against the Yamaha...

rccarguy2

Spec 60 w into 8ohm full frequency, all channels driven, low thd or 90w into 4 ohm

Can't find any decent bench tests of the Yamaha...I reckon the ATI will beat it. Not sure about emotiva, probably not as that has high power for some modules and less for the remaining.

But I think for smaller UK living room where you don't need insane SPL, or if you have efficient speakers that will be fine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201119-195315.png
    Screenshot_20201119-195315.png
    797.3 KB · Views: 35

rccarguy2

Can't find spec with the 11 channel emotiva, bit the 7 gets 200w all channels driven. Thd a bit higher than other FTC tested amps, but still ok.

oaklandraiders

I’ve only tried the 12 ch ATI on 4 atmos and 2 SS, it gets as warm as my ATI1805 which was doing main 5.
It only dawned on me the other night to try it doing all 9 channels, if it works well then I’ll sell ATI1805.

FunkyFoxy

Ok thanks, sort of makes sense but I’m still learning tbh. I think for buying new my mind is largely settled on the Emotiva. The original idea of this post was to see if there were better value 2nd hand alternative, such as a P7 and P429?

I know this will trigger some, but I think the ATI is butt ugly! :rolleyes:

rccarguy2

1805 is 180w so fair jump in power from 6012...

Guess 5 + 12 probably more channels you'll ever need unless multi room..

rccarguy2

Ok thanks, sort of makes sense but I’m still learning tbh. I think for buying new my mind is largely settled on the Emotiva. The original idea of this post was to see if there were better value 2nd hand alternative, such as a P7 and P429?

I know this will trigger some, but I think the ATI is butt ugly! :rolleyes:

Better quality internals than emotiva...

FunkyFoxy

rccarguy2

I had my ATI 2000 driving my 4ohm floorstander speakers for couple of hours, loud, and heatsink slightly warm. Speakers receiving full range signal. No subwoofer (hifi 2 channel pre amp) way louder than I would normally have it

rccarguy2

And £600 more expensive!

£600 isn't that much more...paying for quality. How long do you keep power amplifiers?

I certainly won't be needing to upgrade my ATI 2000...ever.

FunkyFoxy

You are clearly a fan of ATI and each to their own etc. Any alternative second hand suggestions? My front 3 have a sensitivity of 87db so the grunt upfront is welcomed!

FunkyFoxy

£600 isn't that much more...paying for quality. How long do you keep power amplifiers?

I certainly won't be needing to upgrade my ATI 2000...ever.
It’s my first so I have no idea. I won’t be changing every 6 months that’s for sure. It’s £600 I don’t have just now though.

rccarguy2

ATI 1803 for front three. That should be more affordable...maybe get cheaper lower powered amp for remaining..

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best TVs of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton