Question 2nd DIY sub amp advice

Saalty

Established Member
Reaction score
Right, so I currently have an FI Audio HT1 being powered by an NX3000 amp. I'm adding a second driver soon and am wondering whether I'd be better just buying another NX3000 to power it or selling that and getting an NX6000 to do both. The downside is that the driver is 2ohm so I don't know if the NX6000woukd be ok with hat load. Any help is massively appreciated.

The nx6000 is effectively 2 bridged 3000 so only rated for 4 ohms. You could use one channel of an nx3000 but will not be able to bridge it. Which driver is it? I guess you bridge your current 3000 for the Fi driver?

Thanks for the reply, I'm using the HT1 driver with the NX3000 bridged currently. I'm just bored in lockdown and fancied messing about!

So it's looking like a second NX3000 with another driver then?

Hi Saalty,
Are you running your NX3000 bridged into a 2ohm driver? If so, I’m amazed it has survived.
when the NX series were first released, I went through 3 NX6000’s in quick succession & that was into 4ohms per channel.
As already mentioned, an NX6000, is two 3000’s bridged, but sharing one power supply.
I’d add another 3000 as it’s proven reliable for you & if one did go down, you’d still have the other one running while it went in for repair.

Hi Saalty,
Are you running your NX3000 bridged into a 2ohm driver? If so, I’m amazed it has survived.
when the NX series were first released, I went through 3 NX6000’s in quick succession & that was into 4ohms per channel.
As already mentioned, an NX6000, is two 3000’s bridged, but sharing one power supply.
I’d add another 3000 as it’s proven reliable for you & if one did go down, you’d still have the other one running while it went in for repair.

Yea, I am, seems I didn't read the spec sheet when I bought it, god knows how it hasn't died! I'll run it from one channel from now on I think! Oops!

That's a good plan but now I've seen that, I might just run both off the nx3000 for now. I'll also have to check it is a 2ohm driver. Thanks a lot for your help

It seems to be a bit hit and miss with the inuke/nx. Never had a single issue with any I have owned over 10 years even with low flow silent fans. I have had m&k, sunfire and SVS amps fail with a lot less use.
A 6000 has run into 4 ohm fi q subs with no problem so that's similar to a 3000 into 2 ohm. I guess when you have an issue (or 3) you lose trust in the brand very quickly. To produce them at the cost they do something has got to give.
Use a volt meter on the driver, if it's 4ohm then that will give the amp an easier load.

It seems to be a bit hit and miss with the inuke/nx. Never had a single issue with any I have owned over 10 years even with low flow silent fans. I have had m&k, sunfire and SVS amps fail with a lot less use.
A 6000 has run into 4 ohm fi q subs with no problem so that's similar to a 3000 into 2 ohm. I guess when you have an issue (or 3) you lose trust in the brand very quickly. To produce them at the cost they do something has got to give.
Use a volt meter on the driver, if it's 4ohm then that will give the amp an easier load.
I totally agree with you Simon, lots of people run them for years with no problems, I reckon the issue I had with the NX6000, must have been a production run component problem.
I did run an inuke6000 for a few years, that was running 8 ohm per channel, that also went faulty but was repaired under warranty & I believe is still going strong with its current owner many years later.

The NX6000’s sounded great with my bass cabs while they were working.

I use Crown for my bass amps now.

Cheers guys, I'll take the driver out and give it a check and move from there I think. If it is 2ohm, I may as well get another 2ohm as it'd be pointless with anything else, then just run it with the 3000 I guess.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom