Question 2nd car for wife - Nissan leaf?

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by itn, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,258
    Mine is a petrol 1.4. Economy is woeful at about 34mpg. But I do low miles so it's no more than about £40 per month. Depreciation is much more than that. And the insurance is pretty low on that engine.

2. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +989
    I used just under 3100kWh of electricity to cover 14K miles in my Leaf, that's roughly 4.5 miles per kWh over 2 years of real world use.

I pay 7p per kWh using cheap electricity overnight to charge the car, so that works out as 1.6p for 'fuel' per mile. At £1.15/litre for fuel a combustion car has to achieve 350mpg in the real world to match that!!

[​IMG]

Our Tesla was averaging just under 3 mile per kWh, so about 2.5p per mile in fuel for 2.5ton 6 seater SUV that does 0-60 in under 6 seconds. So 200 miles in the X costs £5ish in electricity, £5 would probably get you less than 50 miles worth of fuel in an equivalently size/powered combustion SUV.

Interms of comparing fuel/running costs of EVs versus combustion cars there is no contest :).

3. Alan CD

Alan CD
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,690
    I understand. Thank you for your contribution and sales pitch.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,591
    I'd still recommend anyone looking at buying an EV to save money to do their sums carefully. Just like the old argument for diesel when the costs of the vehicles were quite disparate there is a break even point below which you won't be saving money.

5. jassco

jassco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    I test drove the Leaf yesterday and what an amazing drive it is, I'm hugely impressed. It was just a short drive round the block but we're going to get it for longer as a lifestyle test drive. We've got a trip to London in a couple of weeks (from Newcastle) that I'm going to ask to test the leaf for. That'll help discredit any range anxiety we've got! If we're allowed / can get one to test with this I'll post my experience.

I've already mapped it out, and the stops are exact same distance as last year when we did it in a petrol car, simply due to having a toddler. There's only one service station (Wetherby) we'd stop at as the other two (Grantham and Cambridge) have Nissan garages a few mins away with free charging. Has anyone had any experience of charging at service stations, and what happens if all the spaces are full up?

I've used some real man maths to justify it. But if we're doing 20k miles a year, we save a fortune on fuel over the 42mpg we get now, we have no rad tax, and no mot (our last cost 650 with repairs, with lots of warnings for corrosion that will be a similar price at next mot). I think taking all this into account, we'll be 50-100 worse off a month, but have a brand new car with all the features, instead of a basic 09 Auris

6. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,591
    If you're doing 20k then that's some serious money saving on fuel :thumbsup:

7. jassco

jassco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    Yup, the mrs is negotiating a contract that would mean an 80 mile round trip 3 days a week, plus weekend travel.

Have you (or the wife) ever had issues with electric parking bays being used up and having to wait a long time? This is my only concern doing a London trip with a toddler

8. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,591
    Not yet , but as we only do short trips, so far we have recharged solely at home. I'd recommend getting a 30kW with a 7kW charger that way your 80 mile trips should fit comfortably into a single charge so you can charge at home Our nearest fast charger is at the local Waitrose, and I've never seen the bay full (it has two parking spaces).

PS Our 24kW takes ~6 hrs to fully charge on it's 3kW charger

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  9. itn

itn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Need some help guys. I'm hopefully collecting in on sat. Trains booked to Preston for me other half and son.

I need help to get the car home to Leicester, happy to use rapid charging. Any advice on a planner? From PR1 8DT to Le5 4fa.

I don't want to drive to be stress free, don't want range anxiety.

Which 2 services are best to use which are easy deal with?

Regards

Mohammad

10. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,591
    Map of charging points for electric car drivers in UK: Zap-Map is a good place to start for route planning. You can add Nissan Leaf to the filters to ensure you find chargers suitable for the Leaf. The two biggest players are Ecotricity's Electric Highway who supply most Motorway Sevices etc and Polar
    Our Charging Stations - For The Road - Ecotricity
    Polar Instant

Polar do a subscription service, but for your trip home their PAYG (Polar Instant) may be more suitable.

Download their respective apps and I think you should be good to go. Note: We've only ever charged at home :D