• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

2nd box, 1 feed, no subs.

Kev12

Hi.
I've got HD with the full package.
If I were to acquire a second HD box and I connected it with only 1 sat feed, and didn't pay the 2 extra subs, ie £9.75 X 2 for multiroom and HD, what channels would I receive( HD), and what functionality recording wise would I get from the extra box?

wellfan

You would receive the 'free to view', or should I correct myself and say 'free to air' channels, and no recording facility.

Kev12

Ok, thanks for that.
By free to air channels, I'm assuming you mean BBC HD, C4 HD, and a couple more, which I can't re-call. If I paid Sky the HD sub, what would that get me?
I'm thinking it would be a "mirror" of my main package, is that right?
Only, only being able to view whats currently on the main box, if they were both on at the same time?
Hope I'm making sense!

Kimberson

Distinguished Member
on another note if i brought a new sky hd box off ebay for instance and put it in the bedroom. Would i be able to use the sky+ feature without paying for multiroom.
Matt

bladedripper

Distinguished Member
on another note if i brought a new sky hd box off ebay for instance and put it in the bedroom. Would i be able to use the sky+ feature without paying for multiroom.
Matt
No.

Broadz

Distinguished Member
Ok, thanks for that.
By free to air channels, I'm assuming you mean BBC HD, C4 HD, and a couple more, which I can't re-call. If I paid Sky the HD sub, what would that get me?
I'm thinking it would be a "mirror" of my main package, is that right?
Only, only being able to view whats currently on the main box, if they were both on at the same time?
Hope I'm making sense!

You won't get Channel 4 HD if you don't put a card in the box - it's FTV, not FTA.

You can't take out just a HD sub on the second box, you need at least one mix, but far better (and cheaper) would be take out multiroom - and possibly a second HD sub.

If you take out multiroom - you'll get all the channels on your main package except the subscription high def channels. You'll have to pay for a second HD Pack if you want an exact mirror of your main box.

No idea what your comment about only being able to view what's on the main box if both switched on at the same time means. The two cards/boxes are independent of each other. Neither gives a monkey's what the other box is/isn't doing.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom