• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

2mb broadband questions...

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Hi,

2mb is what my exchange provide.

BT or Telewest - who would you go for? , or other 2mb recomend...

Telewest;

I need to connect to MAC and Xbox360. I am thinking telewest would give me a better quality via cable/line.

-What connection point would i get with telewest?, ethernet?.

- So i would need a router only for both xbox and mac to connect to it?. I have heard some posts saying, xbox with only work directly connected and not via a router if using telewest?.

- Also if going with telewest, could i get a phone package, and therefore not pay bt line rental?.

BT;

BT woud be easier to get for xbox live.
- Anyone have a issues with BT for live and pc internet speeds?.

- Also i assume after 12month contract if unhappy i can change.

thanks

WelshBluebird

Prominent Member
If its available, i'd get cable broadband over ADSL anytime.
Cable can offer massive speeds compared to ADSL. Cable Internet as it uses fibre, is cabable of offering over 100Mbps, while adsl can only reach 8 meg, and adsl2+ only 24 meg.

nero0410

Distinguished Member
spiderman78 said:
I'm on BT and xbox live with no problems.

End of this month BT are increasing speeds across the country.

CLICK HERE

I'm with BT too and have had no probs running a pc/laptop and xbox live on the xbox and 360 all at one time (with no lag) :eek:

I'm meant to be getting 2mb (at no extra cost) BB but my exchange cant handle it yet, so I'm stuck with 1mb :(

If there doing that does it mean that exsisting bt customers are gonna be getting the upgrade to 4mb free too?

tris

unique

WelshBluebird said:
If its available, i'd get cable broadband over ADSL anytime.
Cable can offer massive speeds compared to ADSL. Cable Internet as it uses fibre, is cabable of offering over 100Mbps, while adsl can only reach 8 meg, and adsl2+ only 24 meg.

i agree, definately cable. you get 4mb for £25 without any other services, or you can add phone and tv to that for about £5 each, so it can work out cheaper

i had adsl before cable, and i found it wouldnt reconnect properly if the line drops, but cable it does. plus cable is normally "unlimited" even tho telewest has been asking the people who max out thier lines 24/7 to chill a bit. folks like BT cap

for £30 you can get phone/tv/broadband packages from telewest that will probably do what you want

spiderman78

Established Member
nero0410 said:
I'm with BT too and have had no probs running a pc/laptop and xbox live on the xbox and 360 all at one time (with no lag) :eek:

I'm meant to be getting 2mb (at no extra cost) BB but my exchange cant handle it yet, so I'm stuck with 1mb :(

If there doing that does it mean that exsisting bt customers are gonna be getting the upgrade to 4mb free too?

tris

Found more info see below and click here for full article

BT's retail arm immediately announced that it would offer a free upgrade to the new speed to its 2.3 million broadband customers from next month, provided they agree to a new 12-month contract.

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
10mb is the way to go - I have this through NTL for £35 but Telewest also do it :).

DirectiveFour

Established Member
I have just last week switched from Nildram ADSL (2mb) to Telewest Cable 4mb (soon to be upgraded to 10mb)

Both work exactly the same with regards to Xbox Live.

For ADSL I used an ADSL router, with the xbox 360 plugged into it via RJ45 ethernet cable, and also my PC was plugged into the router too, no problems whatsoever.

For my current connection, the Telewest cable connection, I use a Broadband router, and again the xbox plugged into it via rj45, and the same with my PC, only difference with this is the modem you get with Telewest is also plugged into the router via RJ45 too (the adsl routers have modems built in)

Both work and run the same, there is no problems with xbox live with either.

The reason and the only reason I changed was to get 10mb speed from cable, something ADSL doesnt provide. I still have a BT phone line, but yes with Telewest you can switch that to a Telewest phone line.

If you are considering ADSL, go with a good company that offer a better service than BT's own, which is dire compared to say Nildram. I'm on a BT ADSL 2mb connection as I write this and it doesnt even compare, on the whole download speeds are slower, and gaming pings are higher.

Check www.adslguide.org for more info on ADSL services.

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
I think I'll be swicthing from F2S to Zen once BT switch their MaxDSL on. F2S have been quite poor since Pipex took over. :rolleyes:

chris1210

Established Member
Tejstar said:
I think I'll be swicthing from F2S to Zen once BT switch their MaxDSL on. F2S have been quite poor since Pipex took over. :rolleyes:

Make that VERY poor mate. I've just got my MAC code and am off to Newnet next week... all i want is a stable connection! I could barely play PGR3 online the connection was so poor and laggy at times.

WelshBluebird

Prominent Member
Tejstar said:

just incase you don't know, Zen's MaxDSL service will have a 50GB cap, which although will be ampple for most people, will not be if you want to download high def movies.

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
WelshBluebird said:
just incase you don't know, Zen's MaxDSL service will have a 50GB cap, which although will be ampple for most people, will not be if you want to download high def movies.

The 50gb service will cost £34.99 though, if I transfer to the package that is the same as my current F2S package (£24.99) then I'll have to make do with a 20GB cap. :rolleyes:

However, I don't download a lot of high-def stuff. But still 20GB will be cutting it fine...

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
chris1210 said:
Make that VERY poor mate. I've just got my MAC code and am off to Newnet next week... all i want is a stable connection! I could barely play PGR3 online the connection was so poor and laggy at times.

How much are you paying for Newnet? Let us know how you get on.

geordie10

Established Member
hi.
get telewest blueyonder,cable is better than phone lines.
i have been on blueyonder for the last four years no problems at all.
great for pc and xbox 360.
if i host a game i get no lag at all.
i have three pcs and an xbox 360 on the same line using a router.
no problems connecting or getting them to work.
cheers ian.

AVRocky

Established Member
Try BeThere. Up to 24Mbps for £24, free router worth £110.

Main problem, depending on your distance and line quality you might not get 24Mbps. Average most people get is around 10Mbps.

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
I looked into Be but there coverage isn't that great at the mo, I live near London but wasn't under their coverage list. :(

WelshBluebird

Prominent Member
Starfleets said:
Try BeThere. Up to 24Mbps for £24, free router worth £110.

Main problem, depending on your distance and line quality you might not get 24Mbps. Average most people get is around 10Mbps.

and if you live far away, you wont even get that.
I think its something like if you only get 4 meg on an up to 8 meg ADSL conenction, then you wont get more than 8 meg on an ADSL 2+ connection.
Personally, I'd be lucky to got more than 4 meg on my line.

DenzilTK421

Established Member
Anyone got any experience with Demon's 2meg service - was going to move from Zen!

AVRocky

Established Member
WelshBluebird said:
and if you live far away, you wont even get that.
I think its something like if you only get 4 meg on an up to 8 meg ADSL conenction, then you wont get more than 8 meg on an ADSL 2+ connection.
Personally, I'd be lucky to got more than 4 meg on my line.

4 Meg for £24, unlimited time and a free classy router, no 12month contract? No too shabby considering the other offers on the market.

DenzilTK421

Established Member
WelshBluebird said:
:eek: just wondering why? Zen have one of the best costumer support teams any ISP has.
True - but they also charge £25 for a 1/2Meg connection at the moment.
Also true they now provide 8Meg connection - but it is limited.

nickteale

Established Member
To anyone on Telewest what download speed do you get on the 10mb service.

They have just finished upgrading me from 2mb but I am only getting a download speed of 4mb, is this unusual or normal at 11pm.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom