1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2K to spend_help

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by slart, Sep 16, 2005.

1. slart

slart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have set my self a limit of 2k to spend, its looking like either the pdp435fde or the hitachi 42pd7200. is there anything better?, at the moment i am leaning toward the hitachi but am open to sugestions or anybodys expeirence with these sets.

ta

slart

2. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    or for an extra 200 the panasonic 42pv500.

3. slart

slart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if i start creeping up in price it will go on forever. 2k is my limit as i want to get an amp and speakers as well

slart

4. damo_in_sale

damo_in_sale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
    Hi Slart,

Between those two, I would defo go with the Pioneer for many reasons, not least the fact that the Hitachi uses ALIS interlaced 1024x1024, whereas the Pioneer has a progressive 1024x768 resolution. But you may well be able to get a Pioneer 435XDE for that price, now that the 436XDE is available at £2499, and the 435XDE has a better media box than the FDE.
    The Pioneer, in my opinion, is a better choice for future proofing as well I think. The reason is hi-def. 720 progressive should look better on a panel (all things being equal, which I don't think they are in this case) capable of displaying true 50 progresive frames per second (Pioneer) than on a panel which has to interlace a progressive signal (Hitachi). The Pioneer would only need to rescale the supersampled image, whereas the Hitachi would have to rescale and then interlace- not ideal for a progressive source.
    Now, if your not bothered about hi-definition then a great alternative might be a Panasonic PWD7 (Richer Sounds, £1000, but hurry :) plus a Lumagen Vision DVI (a very clever video processor and scaler) and ISF calibration of the whole kit. Now I haven't had an ISF calibration performed, nor seen what a scaler can do, but Gordon should in the next few weeks ISF my kit and provide a demo of the Lumagen (please correct me if I'm wrong Gordon, I know your on a busmans holiday at the moment at CEDIA :). I therefore cannot recomend either upon personal experience (yet), but the feedback of ISF from this forum, and the feedback regarding the Lumagen on the scaler forum suggests that both are really well worth it. In fact, I have seen several posts on this forum saying what a difference the ISF has made and none saying that it was a waste of £275 or so. On the scaler forum there are guy's stating that they cannot believe that they once went without. Again, I've never seen a guy posting that he's just bought a Lumagen or ISCAN and has just waisted £795.
    Going by personal experience of Gordon over email, and the feedback from these forums, I can only recomend the guy. I have asked him several questions and he has answered them both intelligently and promtly, even though he hasn't had one pound from me yet. He is clearly dedicated as he is on these forums answering queries all of the time and is at CEDIA as we speak.

In short, if you need hi-def compatibilty then I would go with the Pioneer, if you dont then get the Panasonic PWD7, Lumagen DVI and ISF calibration- that is what I am recomending to a good friend of mine who is on a similar budget to you but isn't bothered about hi-def.

Cheers,

Damo

5. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Ive had my pd 7200 since june and im very very happy ,the advice given by damo is good ,my old man has the pw7 ,my brother in law has the pv500 and both say the picture on the hitachi is excellent when they pop round .

Especially now im using the pc as a dvd and hidef player .

I was in the same dilemma as yourself a few months back and nearly bought the xde ,but the hitachi came out with more inputs and a little cheaper ,really better value for money with no loss in pic quality against its rivals imho.

6. martinthorn

martinthorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know if it's better, but I've got the JVC PD42DX6 which can be had for a around £1.7k. To my eyes it has an excellent picture and has a hi-res panel (1024x768), integrated tuners(digital and anolog) and plenty of connections. May be worth a look if you'd like to try something other than Pioneer or Hitachi !

http://www.jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=PD-42DX6BJ&catid=100060

Martin

7. damo_in_sale

damo_in_sale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
    Hi Martinthorn,

According to that link, the JVC can do 720p at 60Hz and not 50Hz. That effectively means it will not be compatible with the majority of Sky HD, at least in the longer term.

Cheers,

Damo

8. martinthorn

martinthorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it remains to be seen whether or not the JVC actually works at 720/50. Certainly they don't claim that it does. It's a bit bizarre given that it does support 1080i at 50Hz.. One day I will get a scaler and see what happens. The original poster didn't say whether or not 100% Hi-def was wanted..

Anyway doesn't change the fact it has a good picture (to my eyes of course :) )

Martin

edit : sky's website does mention 1080i too.. some programs will be in this format but not all.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If you've got sky or freeview, I'd consider the PHD7, or even the 8, I think this will be in budget very shortly. With an AV amp and digital TV, there is no actual need for a TV type plasma, I mean, how many TV tuners do you want? They may in fact only serve to confuse long term. To build a system you need to get away from the 'TV' concept, TV tuning is done by 1 component, display is done by another, the whole thing is tied together with the AV amp. Buying a hi def screen 1st would enable you to upgrade with a scaler later if you had the cash and felt the need.

10. jonnewell

jonnewell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have a PD-42DX6, and confirm that it has an excellent picture, every bit as good as my dad's pv500, it also looks really good. I have to say that I've looked carefully for all the artifacts/problems that people warn about on plasmas and haven't seen any apart from a bit of posterization on low bandwidth channels.

Lots of people in other threads seem to have raised the issue of sky and 720p, but firstly according to this link the 42DX6 does (of course on another page on the same site they don't mention it) http://www.jvcfuturevision.co.uk/products/index.php?id=pd42dx6&page=specifications

Also according to the sky website, in the hd faq, they say that a TV needs to support EITHER 720p or 1080i, suggesting (I hope) that the sky hd box will happily upscale to 1080 if required. I've checked this thoroughly to calm my own doubts and the only place that they talk about a tv having to support both is when defining the hd-ready standard, everywhere else it is either/or.

SO I'm reasonably comfortable, but I guess that I won't really know until the hd boxes are actually released...

11. martinthorn

martinthorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another JVC owner ! Be careful out there, we are a rare breed ;

The link you gave suggests that the TV can do 720p/50, but I have an email from JVC UK saying it won't.. perhaps they were just reading the manual when they replied to the mail !? Either way it will do the other three HD formats so should be able to sort something out with a scaler if need be..

As good as a 42" PV500 ? Well that's good to know given the price paid ;)

Martin