1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2K to spend - Help needed from those in the know...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Venger, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Venger

Venger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was hoping for a bit of mind share from people who've been there and done it. I've been after a plasma for a longggggg time and have finally got the spondoolies to get one, however before making this life changing decision I wanted some advice so I don't make a terrible decision.

I have a contact who can get me the new Sony KE-42M1 for a price of about £1800 but I don't know enough about them. My bro has got the Pioneer PDP-434HDE and it's lovely but just over 3k.

If you had between 2k and 3k to spend then what would you get?

I then need to look at getting a decent home cinema surround sound system and new DVD player...

Any help would be most welcome!

2. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its seems that loads of forum memebers get the panny pw6 from av sales....seems like a very popular and safe bet. :laugh:

3. quattro

quattro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I dont think you can go wrong with the Panny PW6-7, just by looking how popular they are here should tell you and at just over what a budget screen will cost you for a far better screen. I bought one from AV-Sales along with the Jamo DVD and speaker set up inc cables, wall mount, Component board and scart board for under 3k inc 3yr warranty. This was b4 the recent price drop so you can make an even bigger saving :)

4. Venger

Venger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback. There is a lot of good reviews re: the Panasonic PW6 and AV sales... is there a commision structure? :laugh:

Seriously, I like them but only in silver and aren't they a bit old and limited for future compatability etc.

5. quattro

quattro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    well if you want the latest go for the PW7 but they are basically the same screen but £300 more, the silver in the PW7 isn't released for a few months i believe and will be another £100-200 pounds more than the charcoal. I believe when HD tranmission happens not for a few yrs yet these screens down scale so there wont be a compatbilty problem but may be wrong.
    Quattro

6. Beck_

Beck_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I have just received my silver PW7.. so they are available now.

You should be able to pick one up for around £1900.

7. rafaqat

rafaqat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How would the scaler in the LG 42x11 that people like Currys do compare to the one in the Panny PW6. People say the image quality is better on the panny, but what is the downscaling/upscaling like on the panny pw6?

At the moment getting a Pw6 with all the bits I need, is going to cost me the same as getting the Lg with all the bits and pieces I need give or take 200 quid. The Samsung ps42d4sx is round about the same price for me too.

What would be people recomendations?
    Just ignore how I can get the prices to be the same, I don't want to confuse the issue. The plasma will be handling NTL digital / VHS / Prog Scan gaming signals 480p/720p. So it's going to have to be good on the scaling etc.

I've posted this in another thread but got no replies. Hopefully I can get some advice here. :)

8. lorenzo

lorenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any tips as to where?

9. Beck_

Beck_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    These guys have one in with a compnent board already fitted for £1909...

http://www.digital-point.co.uk

They also have 1 with component board and stand for £2009.

If you are not scared of ebay.. there are a couple up for auction currently at £1000 here...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11073&item=5725698078&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I can vouch for this ebay retailer as I have just bought one from them and received it yesterday. ;)

To give you an idea of what the auction may finish on.. I paid £1800 for mine.

Good luck.

10. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Just over depends very much on your specifications - an LG 42PX11 is 'ready to go', including SCART, Component, etc. inputs and a desktop stand. Prices from £1500.

For a PW7, with SCART and Component terminal boards (one of them free), and a desktop stand comes to £2300 from AV-Sales.

That is an £800 difference, or roughly 50% more - hardly what I would call 'just over'. Even with the PW6, there is a difference of £500. Although, if you choose to wall mount, it will bring the difference down by another £100-200.

11. rafaqat

rafaqat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone wanna answer this question if they can?
    :lease:

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Panny has better electronics IMO but for best i would suggest Fujitsu VHA30 for best electronics in an SD 42"