2K budget for a TV - Bigger or better?

slpn1

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a £2k budget (could go up a bit if really worth it). I've been reading these forums for weeks, and I still don't know what to buy! I know this time of year is good as can get last years models at a discount.

A big part of me wants to get the Samsung Q7 65", but where most people say to buy an OLED if you can afford it. We have a fairly big living room, so another part of me thinks to get a lower quality 75" just for the cinema feel.

I've been to Curry's (only option for me unfortunately) to compare TVs. Now it's probably because my brain isn't as tuned to PQ as most of you, but the Q7 looks amazing. It's right next to the LG C7 which also looks amazing. The Samsungs colours just pop out at you, and although it's edge lit and the blacks aren't as black, I keep asking myself why does that matter so much? You don't even notice until you actually compare to the OLED. The blacks on the Samsung in my mind look black, it's only when you directly compare you notice they aren't quite as black. To me all colours apart from black look better on the Q7. Why do people care about black so much? Is it something you notice after time? I couldn't see any of the issues such as bleeding or banding on either TV.

Also concerned about 'babysitting' an OLED although I expect I am on reading about people who have problems on here and most people don't. I do worry about the longevity of an OLED set too.

The viewing angles aren't even as bad as I expected from reading on here for the QLED. The picture looks very slightly more washed out on the QLED at an angle, the OLED admittedly looks the same at any angle, but unless you are comparing directly would you even notice?

I know it's a showroom and the lighting isn't realistic which is why I am asking for advice. Should I ignore the QLED vs OLED thing and go for the Q7 or do you think I will regret it? A smaller part of me thinks I should get a lower quality 75" LED and that the difference in PQ I won't even notice once it's in my living room away from other TVs to compare to.

Do you regret getting one TV over another after some time? Any helpful insights would be extremely welcome.

Thanks, Simon

I would say you need to make a list of what it is you use the tv for and judge from that.
Do you watch films in pitch black or with some ambient light?
Do you use it for gaming?
How many people & how often would watch the t.v. from an angle? Etc.

I think I'd look for the best all rounder. Sometimes we have lights on, sometimes off. Sometimes we have friends round, sometimes just three of us. I'd say not for much gaming, as we are moving into a new house and we have a spare room downstairs. The wife with no prompting said I could have it as a gaming room. I'm suspicious of her motives, but I'm not arguing with it.

OLED would be first choice no doubt, maybe the LG B7 or C7 are good options.

For an LCD the XE90 or Q7 would be good options.

I've been to Curry's (only option for me unfortunately) to compare TVs. Now it's probably because my brain isn't as tuned to PQ as most of you, but the Q7 looks amazing.
It does indeed, with its HDR demo loop material and in dynamic mode. Not the way it's going to look at home with non-HDR content and in a picture mode designed to be accurate rather than to simply attract your attention.

The Samsungs colours just pop out at you, and although it's edge lit and the blacks aren't as black, I keep asking myself why does that matter so much?
Not in a brightly lit showroom, if you like to watch movies in the dark more so.

The blacks on the Samsung in my mind look black, it's only when you directly compare you notice they aren't quite as black.
The Samsungs blacks are very good for an LCD but its poor local dimming lets it down.

Also concerned about 'babysitting' an OLED although I expect I am on reading about people who have problems on here and most people don't. I do worry about the longevity of an OLED set too.
It should be pretty clear if you are going to have a problem with an OLED. As for longevity also nothing to worry about, they don't have lights behind the screen and are rated to last for more hours.

The viewing angles aren't even as bad as I expected from reading on here for the QLED. The picture looks very slightly more washed out on the QLED at an angle, the OLED admittedly looks the same at any angle, but unless you are comparing directly would you even notice?
QLEDs are using VA panels that have awful viewing angles, you may not have seen it look bad in the store but I am sure you will at home. It's not a big deal especially to people who are less likely to notice stuff like that but its pretty damn awful.

From a technical standpoint the QLEDs can display more colours than other TVs, the thing is its only more colours with HDR. Without HDR all TVs at this kind of price are displaying at least 99% of the SDR colour gamut so really the only time you may notice colour is better is when you use HDR. Colour of course is one aspect of picture quality and one of HDR too, problem is its only a few percent better on the QLEDs and in every other respect, including price they are not competitive.

Local dimming, contrast, blacks they can't compete with the Sony XE9005/XE9305 and this in my eyes can be excused if they cost less, but they don't, they cost more. The OLEDs if you can afford them again build on those models, which makes comparing the QLEDs and OLEDs chalk and cheese really.

It may sound like I am bashing the QLEDs a lot. They are decent TVs and people do seem to be happy with them when they own them, so perhaps I am overthinking it, but I personally think they aren't worth the money they have been asking for them.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom