1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2Fast2Furious disc blemish

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Messiah, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Received this disc today. Not watched it yet but on looking at the disc it has a huge blemish emanating from the centre of the disc all the way round to about half the depth of the disc. Not sure if it will cause any playback problems but has anyone else noticed this.

First disc I've noticed like this. Sure it can't be disc rot as it is brand new (seal just opened 10 minutes ago.

[​IMG]

You can clearly see it on the above picture.

Any ideas. Thanks.

2. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,835
    Just checked my R1 review copy and mine is clean.

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks Matt. I think I'll request a replacement.

4. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've quite a few discs like this and they play no problem. On a separate note, I got the National Lampoon's Vacation boxset on GThursday and disc 1 sticks quite a few times throughout the movie. There are no blemishes on the disc either. Hmmm.

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,840
    Don't worry.

It is often called a coffee stain. I have several like that, and they still play after several years. The stain hasn't got worse.

It is just the glue between the data layers showing through. Some discs are actually almost transparent when you put it to a light source.

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks. After reading this article I'm still going to ask for a replacement as who knows how it may affect the disc in the future.

Should probably look through my collection (600+) and see what they are like but that seems too much like hard work :(

7. -J-

-J-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think there seems to be alot of difference of opinion and confusion as to what exactly disc rot is...

the example you show above (and in the article mentioned) seems to relate to a manufacturing problem where the glue used "stains" the top layer. Generally i find that if this does not cause problems on first play (some have the problem so bad they wont play on certain players, some seem fine) it wont cause you problems even after a few years.

Another problem exists when a milky residue appears on the disc surface - once again a glue issue which can be removed with detergent and soft cloth.

However there is another problem which i beleive IS disc rot and thats when you get a speckling effect just under the surface (looks like someone has sneezed all over it) - this just gets worse and worse until the disc is unusable - very very rare though.

8. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    mate, don't worry to much about them: I have many discs with stains like that some are 3 years old and still play fine. The only ones with problems I ever came across were terminator and silence of the lambs but they were sticky in addition to the cloud.

9. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,840
    My Hellraiser is like that from the R1 limited edition tin. It was bought in 2001 and still plays fine.

10. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Well, CD-Wow responded this evening to my e-mail and are shipping a new disc out to me along with a Freepost return envelope. Now that's what I call customer service :)