Question 2D to 3D TV Converters

Mayandi2

One issue that I am sure many of us have (I certainly do) is, now that 3D seems well and truly dead, the 3D discs of the 3D+BD movie packs are defunct. At least I thought so until I read about a gizmo called 2D to 3D TV Converter. There seems to be a few on the market but the popular one seems to be this:
3D EDISON FAMILY 2D to 3D Converter TV HDMI HD 1080P & 2pcs 3D Shutter Glasses

I still have my old Panasonic DMP-BDT 130 BD player that has a 3D facility. Can I hook up the above (or any other good one) gizmo to the system so that I can get a 3D effect with my LG OLED 65" C9? I can get a special cable if necessary.

Obviously, I want to be able to switch the 3D effect on and off as necessary.

Can anyone help & advise?

mikej

This looks to have been a crowd-funded project back in 2016, although similar devices existed before then. I've got no personal experience of anything like this, but I can't imagine it would work particularly well. The 3D experience wasn't always great on dedicated 3D TVs made by the the major manufacturers (with their huge R&D budgets) and it's hard to imagine how a crowd-funded device would give even close to similar results.

3D did work reasonably well on my old Panasonic plasma but the lowered brightness caused by the active glasses was definitely an issue - you would usually have to watch in a darkened room and select one of the brighter screen modes, as movie mode would look too dark. This might be less of an issue on more modern (potentially brighter) LCD and OLED TVs I guess ?

There are a number of comments on this thread about refresh rate and flicker that would put me off, personally. One of the crowd-funding backers lists the pros and cons which might be useful to you.

Mayandi2

3D worked wonderfully on my 4K TV (faves were the Lichtmond discs) and I miss it.

WHICH 4K TV and what other kit did you need?

For istance, my old Panasonic DMP BDT130 Blu-ray player is supposedly 3D capable and is linked to the Home Cinema alongside the new 4K player to my LG OLED 65" C9 4K TV. The main reason for retaining the older player was that it is hardware hacked to play Region A locked blu-rays, of which I have over 50 (mostly Criterion). But I have lost the brochure for the 130 and there is no 3D option on its remote as far as I can see.

I know that LG do 3D glasses. If I get those and replace the existing HDMI cable linking the Panasonic 130 to the TV with a 3D capable one, can I get a good playback with my 3D blu-rays?

sagaris99

For istance, my old Panasonic DMP BDT130 Blu-ray player is supposedly 3D capable and is linked to the Home Cinema alongside the new 4K player to my LG OLED 65" C9 4K TV. The main reason for retaining the older player was that it is hardware hacked to play Region A locked blu-rays, of which I have over 50 (mostly Criterion). But I have lost the brochure for the 130 and there is no 3D option on its remote as far as I can see.

I know that LG do 3D glasses. If I get those and replace the existing HDMI cable linking the Panasonic 130 to the TV with a 3D capable one, can I get a good playback with my 3D blu-rays?
I think you're overestimating what it'll achieve. It's an awful lot of money for something that has an incredibly amateur youtube video, and I can't find any positive reviews of it anywhere, let alone a user review of it. There is no official website, instead the linked website sends you to the indiegogo page, where numerous backers have had various issues. If it worked, you'd see lot's of positive reviews, and it being picked up for sale my known retailers.

The signs tell me to run a mile - if you want to take the risk for £300, go for it, but don't expect anything like native 3d on a 3d TV. Sorry to rain on the parade - £70, I'd take a gamble.

addyeddy

Mine was the LG 55LA970W, and the discs were played on an Oppo 103D. It was passive 3D, so no flickering. It was awesome.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom