2D Projector?

1ellis2345

Established Member
Reaction score
I have recently bought an Epson TW6000 and on the whole very happy. Unfortunately though 3D doesn't work properly for me so I could happily live without it.

I also read the Epson doesn't have great blacks (due to being 3D) and a 2D projector would have better blacks. Is there a 2D projector that is better than the Epson (blacks) for the same price?

I have searched around, but everyone is jumping up and down about 3D at the moment and trying to find a review of a decent 2D PJ is almost impossible lol. Thanks.

There are very few 2D only projectors left on the market as almost anything that has come out in the last year is 3D/2D, to get a better black level generally you will have to spend more than the cost of the TW6000.

Obviously JVC are the black level kings but these are going to cost more than the TW6000, a used JVC though such as a HD350 can be had for £700-800 when they come up on the classified.There have also been an occasional X3/X30's for £1300-1600 going lately.

If you want new the best options would be either a Mits HC4000 @ £999 or if you can find an Optoma HD82 around £1400 both of these are DLP which has better blacks than the TW6000 but being DLP get a demo to see if rainbows are an issue.

I think the problem with the Epsons is their brightness, which does make the blacks rather grey.You could try putting an ND2 or ND4 filter over the lens and this will cut the light output which will improve black level performance.Also a grey screen will help assuming you have a white screen currently.

It seems most new pj's now come with 3D as standard. imo I wouldn't say that having 3D on a pj effects its 2D performance. For better blacks you'll be looking at DLP pj's or JVC's.

lol....beat me to it again Keith ;)

:D:D

I have recently bought an Epson TW6000...

Sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings but, if you're thinking of replacing the Epson, do remember the heavy depreciation on nearly new projectors.

It's a bit like a brand new car, which loses thousands as you drive out of the showroom. :thumbsdow

Just something else to factor into the equation... :(

Thanks guys for your replies.

I think rather than spend more money or risk buying a second hand PJ, I'll stick with this one.

It's not as though it's poo lol, in fact I'm very happy with it. apart from a dark blue in stead of black before calibration. I have contacted Epson about this and waiting on a reply.

I have seen the filter idea in the owners thread and would be very interested in what results the OP achieved. It sounds like a great idea that could improve the blacks.:D I have bought a grey screen on Kbfern's advice. It arrived today, but is unfortunately damaged! :mad:

I have had DLP PJ's in the past and can see the dreaded rainbow effect, it does calm down a little the more I get used to it (stop looking for it:D) but it's always there. This is the 1st LCD PJ iv'e had in a very long time and like the zero rainbow!

A dark blue instead of black could simply be the low end RGB greyscale settings being too high a colour temperature. You could try using a lower colour temp setting than the current one, or if watching in a user mode, try lowering the low end Blue setting by one click (in RGB white balance type menu, I don't know what Epson call this). This really should be done using a proper meter and software, but I don't see the harm in trying a single click change (I wouldn't recommend more as you can end up crushing/clipping colours if you don't know what you're doing).

I doubt Epson will be able to offer much in reply as it's more of a limitation of the contrast/calibration issue of your projector rather than a fault as such. If you do try an ND filter be aware that cheap plastic ones will greatly reduce ANSI contrast as they will reflect the image back into the projector: You may end up with worse dark scenes than without (though absolute black level will be lower of course). I used a Hoya HMC filter a few years ago before I had a JVC (which allows you to control the lumens using the internal aperture control, which is much better than an external filter).

A dark blue instead of black could simply be the low end RGB greyscale settings being too high a colour temperature. You could try using a lower colour temp setting than the current one, or if watching in a user mode, try lowering the low end Blue setting by one click (in RGB white balance type menu, I don't know what Epson call this). This really should be done using a proper meter and software, but I don't see the harm in trying a single click change (I wouldn't recommend more as you can end up crushing/clipping colours if you don't know what you're doing).

I doubt Epson will be able to offer much in reply as it's more of a limitation of the contrast/calibration issue of your projector rather than a fault as such. If you do try an ND filter be aware that cheap plastic ones will greatly reduce ANSI contrast as they will reflect the image back into the projector: You may end up with worse dark scenes than without (though absolute black level will be lower of course). I used a Hoya HMC filter a few years ago before I had a JVC (which allows you to control the lumens using the internal aperture control, which is much better than an external filter).

I would agree that the dark blue is just a limit of the projector, but the far left of the image is black (dark grey;)) and gradualy lightens to the dark blue, giving me an un-even shade of black across the screen. I don't think this is right. It's much better after callibration, but still noticable!

I uploaded a picture of the problem in the Epson TW-5900/6000/6000W owners thread, part 1, page 33.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom