1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2ch poweramp that meets these specs?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by nathan_silly, Sep 17, 2003.

1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to biamp my Kef 2.2's sometime so I'll need to replace the amp driving my B&W 601's as rears, then move that amp to the fronts.

My four poweramps have the following specs....

Rated Output Power- 100W (20dBW) per channel into rated load impedance (8Ohm), both channels driven.
    Input- 1V RMS for 100W. Input impendance 50KOhm.
    Gain 29.0 dB @ 1 Khz
    Signal to Noise Better than 95dB
    Frequency response- 20hz-20khz +/- 0.3dB
    THD & Noise - less than 0.05%
    Channel Balance -within 1dB
    Channel Separation- better than 80dB 20hz-20khz

I know the important specs to match are gain (is that it?) I might be looking at Definitive Technology BP-2's to replace the B&W's so I guess the amp will need a bit of welly (Response: 45-30 kHz. Imp.: 8 ohms. Rec. amp: 10-200 watts. Drivers: 2 14 cm. high resolution, highpower, cast-basket bass-midrange drivers with mineral filled polypropylene cones, butyl rubber surrounds and dust caps, and two 25 mm. ferrofluid damped moving coil pure aluminum dome tweeters)

Thanks

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I think you know my recommendations,nathan!

3. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you are using it to drive the rears only and you have level setting in your processor do you actually need the same gain?

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pretty sure if you have different gain per amps- at the calibrated level it's correct. However at any other level (either above or below that calibrated level) it'll be incorrect.

Unless I'm incorrect?

5. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What amps are you using now? I would purchase another 2 channel amp of the same make....
    Or you could just buy some nice new multi channel Krell amp(s)...

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    See my recommendations above!.....my thoughts exactly....on a more sensible note,nathan,Krell KAV250's sometimes appear on the market,and for the money,it's an excellent multichannel amp...also a little more user friendly than the collection of 50kg boxes I share my house with.

7. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think you're using the wrong 'sense' to pick your amplifier, rather than using sight (technical specs) try using hearing.

Sorry if I come across as being blunt but it is what it sounds like that is important. As has been mentioned, having the same gain isn't a requirement and most amps these days will be able to power your chosen speakers.

In fact, if you're within a reasonable driving distance of Swindon I'm happy to bring around a couple of amps for you to have a listen to.

8. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Nathan,

Are you still using your audiolabs? If so there may be some TAG100P's floating around given the last marketing debacle, pretty much the same amp as the last of the audiolabs.

Steve

9. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah got several PX's. I can't see myself forking out another £500 for rear amp.. I just want something reasonbly priced for the rears. Maybe 50W-80W, but a high quality amp.

I'm also starting to run out of racking space. I wouldn't mind a compact 2 channel poweramp say 20cm wide, that will fit on the bottom shelf, next to one of the amps. Anything out there like that?

Do I need to match amps with similar gain/input impedance?

10. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you buy THX amps, you will be sure their gain is the same and you can mix and match, although sticking to one brand will give a more homogenic sound.