1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

29FX66 - Problems and facts...

Discussion in 'TVs' started by monky, Mar 18, 2003.

1. monky

monky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Beeing such a big fan of Sony products by now (i own a Sony sound line, Playstation 2, Sony 21" monitor, etc)... i just decided to exchange my old JVC TV 4:3 with a Sony TV. Didn't wanted to go with widescreen as here there is no 16:9 tv stations, my DVD's are 4:3 most of them, so... Also, i wanted to go with an 100 Hz TV (even if PS2 and TV will go only at 50/60Hz)... but hoped to get a more stable picture. Here, in Romania, the only tv bigger than 29" is the Sony KV-29FX66 TV, so, i didn't have so many choices. Here are the results, after a week of testing:

1. the 100Hz function SUX, it doesn't do ABSOLUTELY nothing for me. Setting my both TV's one next to another, even if the JVC is a 50Hz one, they are looking ABSOLUTELY the same. The flickering is there, and in PS2 games, on Sony looks a little bit more accentuated :confused:
    2. with SVideo the PS2 looked terrible bad. I bought an RGB cable, and now the picture looks more stable, sharper... but...
    3. this tv SUX. really, i don't know how ppl can use this one. On my PS2, it looks so INTERLACED, it makes the games look much worst than they really are :) If you'll draw a diagonal line from one corner to another, the line will be simply fragmented by those interlaced lines (and thos lines have the biggest black spaces i've ever seen).
    4. geometry... oh my god... except the TV geometry... all the AV conections i've done (like my PC TV/OUT - on GF4Ti4600), my DVD player, my PS2... are broken... i haven't ever seen so many errors on a tv. It took me a few hours in the service menu to try making some adjustments... but i don't thing there are so many thing you can do. For example, most of my borders (none of them is completely straight) i have been forced to cut by enlarging the screen (this is not a way to solve this one... sony... damnit)
    5. the pumping effect is becoming more and more annoying... if there are fast changes (like going from black screen to an white one) the screen simply shrinks or expands, sometimes showing border errors, forcing me to cut more from the screen by enlarging it...
    6. the tv makes some strange noise from time to time... like firing up and stuff.. It does this noise also after shutting the tv down... it's verry annoying... sounds like your house will go on fire :devil:

My impression: besides the perfect collors and the powerfull black/white (sometimes the white is so powerfull it simply makes things like iradiating :) ) there are so many bad things... i don't know what to think about this...
    My hopes: that someone can help me with those interlaced lines, which are my worst nightmares (as i play a few hours a day with my Playstation 2, and my games never looked so interlaced... so ugly) and that i could find a way to stop that pumping effect.
    I hope you can help me with some explications... some ideeas, some advices on what to exchange in my service menu to straighten things...
    Finnally, i kinda lost more than 1300 USD's on an ugly 29" tv... I hope you'll look twice and don't do the same mistake as i do (don't get me wrong, i don't have nothing against Sony, but i've just went today at Sony Center... and all the other 29FX66 TV's are doing the same way). If you'll get this TV only for watching cable programs... then take care... as the images are looking kinda digital... ppl are looking like they get antialiasing errors on them... strange...

Please let me know what to do. What do you advice me to do ? Shall i sell this sucker (even if i'll lose some money) or do i have hopes i can solve those problems ?
    Thank you in advance, and sorry for my bad english.

2. monky

monky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it just seems that nobody knows a way to solve the 29FX66 distortion problems... or the interlaced lines problem... etc.. etc. I'll let you know how to enter the service menu... I did, and didn't find the right way to solve those problems.. so maybe you'll be able to. Just let me know if you find a solution to the problems. Thank you in advance, and here it is:

1. Press the VCR/TV/DVD button until the TV LED lights.
    2. Press and hold the yellow button for approx. 5 seconds until the TV LED flashes quickly.
    3. Press 99999. All three LED’s should light. The remote commander is now set to Service Mode.
    4. To return the remote commander to normal operation mode repeat steps 1. and 2. then press 00000. All three LED’s should light. The remote commander is now set to normal mode.

Setting the TV into Service Mode
    1. Program the remote commander for operation in Service Mode as described above.
    2. Turn on the TV main power switch.
    3. Press the video standby button on the remote commander twice.
    ‘TT ’ will appear in the upper right corner of the screen. Other status information will also be displayed.
    4. Press ‘MENU’ on the remote commander to obtain the following menu on the screen.
    5. Move to the corresponding adjustment item using the up or down arrow buttons on the Remote Commander.
    6. Press the right arrow button to enter into the required menu item.
    7. Press the ‘Menu’ button on the Remote Commander to quit the Service Mode when all adjustments have been completed.

3. monky

monky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bump :hiya: