2910 Vs 3910 etc...

BillyTheDad

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Fairly new to all this kinda thing... Is there really that much difference between the 2910 and 3910 as according to Denon's website, the only difference i can see is the picture enhancement thingy the 3910 has got. Does this really make that much difference?

Secondly, I notice that these players both have outputs for various speakers (FL, FR, C, RL, RR, SW) etc.. does this mean that I don't need to hook this up to a surround sound piece of kit just yet and that they can hande this directly for themselves. I am thinking along these lines as I have the new Sammy SP50 with HDMI and will obviously want to connect one of these players using HDMI, but then when Sky bring out HD next year I will need another HDMI input to my TV. As I understand it, there is Denon amp which can take multiple inputs and send them out to a tv via HDMI. This is about £4000 at the moment and don't really need that til next year when sky bring out HDTV and the amp will be cheaper by then.

So after all that waffle, do i need an amp now or not? And which player should I go for? :confused: :confused: :confused:

On paper they are the same for perfomance, but the more rigid design of the 3910 should you better quality, you may or may not notice this depending on the setup.

Those audio outs are for SACD and DVD-Audio. The IEEE and Denon Link would deal with this digitally with a matching amp, Denon Link as of yet can not pass SACD. If you didn't go for an amp you would need active speakers all round as they are just preouts but you would then have to alter the volume level on all the speakers.

If you are going to play alot of DVD-Audio or SACD then go for the 3910 and if possible the 3805 amp to match.

If you see youself playing films only or very few DVD-A/SACD go for the 2910 and 2805 amp.

For HDMI the AVC-A11XV at about £2500 will be out in about 8 weeks with the ability to switch HDMI/DVI-D. In which case go for the 3910 to match the colour as well as the Denon Link/IEEE connections.

Hope this helps

Hi Billy
I spent a lot of time late last year pondering over the same question.....3805/3910 or 2805/2910.I spent time viewing/listening to both and personally came to the conclusion I really couldn't tell the difference.I suppose if the Denon-link had carried SACD that may have swayed my decision,but it doesn't.I bought the cheaper pair.As we all do,I then worried about this decision.4 months on I've stopped worrying.I'm delighted with both DVD output (via HDMI into my XDE),and SACD/CD output.The simple answer is you've got to find someone who will demonstrate both and reach your own decision,but I'm very happy and I saved a few bob. :thumbsup:
Regards
Ian

Billy - Sevenoaks usually have both the players and amps to demonstrate. I had a look/listen to both combinations and in the end opted for the 2910 and 2805 set up. I only have a reasonably budget LCD display and as such I couldn't really warrant spending the extra on the 3910, although to be honest I would have been hard pressed to tell the difference. As for the audio, couldn't notice any appreciable difference between the amps but my ears are totally untrained!

OK, cheers. But...
Do i need to buy the player as multi region or can i buy it as region 2 (it's cheaper) and make multi region by updating it myself somehow? Perhaps via a firmware update or something?

BillyTheDad said:
OK, cheers. But...
Do i need to buy the player as multi region or can i buy it as region 2 (it's cheaper) and make multi region by updating it myself somehow? Perhaps via a firmware update or something?

The 2910 can be multiregioned via a download (version 8 is what you need) on this site. Just type a search for 2910 firmware and its located in that thread with instructions. I used it and it worked a treat.

By carefull, make sure that you burn the disc at 4x speed and follow the instructions to the letter.

Eddy Boy said:
By carefull, make sure that you burn the disc at 4x speed and follow the instructions to the letter.

True,but the instructions are on the appropriate thread and be reassured,it is quite easy to do.

I originally bought a 2910, and had no end of problems with it being very fussy over which discs it would actually play. After trying 2 different 2910s, I got a 3910 instead, which seems to be much better at playing slightly less-than-perfect discs. (Arguably, the £600 2910 should be perfectly capable of playing anything you put into it, but it didn't seem to be...)

I didn't notice any difference in picture quality between the two, but the 3910 sounds noticeably better when playing CDs than the 2910 - I was quite surprised at how much of a difference there was.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom