2910 or the 3910

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by novice2, Feb 14, 2005.

1. novice2

novice2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Denon 2910 @ £480 or the
    Denon 3910 @ £800

(or any other players I should be demoing?)

I am going to run it with the 37 Viera direct through component

Any views?

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +772
    Depends on your priorities -v- budget. The 3910 has significantly better build quality and is reported to have better sound quality with little difference in picture quality over component.

There will be a host of other DVD players which people may recommend. If your priority is in playing movies then you cant get much better at these price brackets than the denon but if you also have a priority for playing CDs there are possibly better options out there for you

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    IF you go to Denon's UK web site you can get a comparison between their models, it's interesting to see how much they have in common.

4. andy c!

andy c!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For info I recently did the home demo between the 1910 and the 2910.
    The diff in picture quality via DVI-DVI was about 10% into my Philips 32pf9986 LCD TV.

But, the diff in sound quality into the Denon 2805 was about 40-50% better IMO - especially in realism and channel steering. I purchased the 2910 and am very happy with it.

I have tried it via CD and DVD-V but not DVD-A or SACD yet. I don't intend to use the latter two formats as I have a good CDP (Naim CDX2/XPS2).

Hope this helps - I would imagine the diff between the 2910 and 3910 should be similar to what I experienced between the 1910 and the 2910...

also, have a look at this:
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-...er=15&maxprice=0&deInt=0&mpeg=0#DenonDVD-2900

regards,

andy c!

5. novice2

novice2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I am going to use this machine as my main player only and only rarely use it as a cd player. So what i getting at, will it give the most bang for my buck? What is the best machine for me at between the £750 - £1000 level that will work well with my screen? This will be the first upgrade of many I will making in the next couple of months. I am also looking to buy a new amp and speakers.

Thanks for the replies

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm not so sure the difference between the 2910 and the 3910 will be as noticeable as that between the 1910 and 2910 .. purely looking at Denon's comparison the difference is somewhat less between the upper two models. Seems to me the only big things the 2910 lacks is Denon Link and Firewire, ie. multi-channel digital audio output (but only SACD AFAIK).

My take on it would be the 2910 is probably perfectly good enough. :)

7. linnite

linnite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I got my 3910 from Sound and Vision in Farnworth up here in the NW for £720 btw. They also have a big mail order operation.

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,560
    Looking at the differences there are some quite notable omissions on the 2910: Image Enhancer, Pixel Correction and elements of audio processing. The core weight of the 3910 is significant as well - indicative of extra shielding.

I have recently been looking at these two players (as well as the Arcam DV79 and DV88+ and the Pioneer 868i) as potential sources for my Panasonic PW7 plasma (a budget panel). In the end I selected the Denon 3910. It was a close call with the Arcam range - if I listened to more audio then this would have been my choice - but as less than 1% of the unit's use will be CD/DVD-A/SACD playback I opted for the slightly better spec of the Denon (VR mode, SACD, Denon Link).

Whilst the 2910 was an impressive performer it was no match for the mid-range machines such as the Arcam DV79 or the Denon 3910 - at least via the analogue component connections I trialled. I assume due to one or all of the factors listed above.

9. Goofy

Goofy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    We lmust be suckers in this country - the Denon 3910 retails in the UK over the internet for £800. In the US they sell the same model for £495!!!

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,560
    Yeah - it can be annoying - but I wouldn't live anywhere else!