2910 not playing CD's

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by marcusa, Mar 12, 2006.

1. marcusa

marcusa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Just bought a secondhand 2910 and have a slight problem. When I put a CD in the drive it starts to load, but won't play any music. The display just shows 0h00m00s. I have tried numerous CD's from my collection and none of them work. It plays DVD's perfectly okay.

Am I being really stupid and missing something simple? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Barr_y

Barr_y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Marcusa I know this seems silly but do you run it through TV speakers or an amp. I have to turn my TV on and select input4 on my pioneer because I have connected via HDMI, if the TV is off it doesn't play, shows the same as yours 0h00m00s. Other than that I run it through my Denon 3806 amp either through DVD section or just stereo CD,withoout the TV on.

3. marcusa

marcusa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Its connected directly via coax to a denon 3805 amp. When you put the disc in it trys to load but then just shows all the zero's on the display. Pressing the play button on the dvd itself doesn't work or the skip buttons either.

4. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    I believe that the 2910 has a twin-laser assembly - one for reading CDs and one for reading DVDs. It sounds as if the CD laser on yours is - errr - shagged...

5. Barr_y

Barr_y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    When you play it through the amp do you select DVD or CD on the amp itself?
    You can play it pushing the pure on the Denon 3805 handset or D/ST it should work OK, or if, as spl23 says your CD laser has gone. Try using the DVD setting. My 2910 is connected by digital coax cable direct to 3806 as well.

6. marcusa

marcusa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It is set up to go through the amp as dvd. The issue isn't with the sound and nothing coming through. The issuse is that disc tries to load up and then displays the zero message 0h.00m.00s Pressing the play button doesn't initiate anything, or any of the other buttons for that matter.

I have tried powering down, leaving and then powering up, but still the same problem.

The other issue is that I bought it this weekend from someone on the forum (nice chap) and he assures me had no problems with it.

7. usman24

usman24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    hi marcusa,

have you tried selecting a cd track directly via the remote using the numbers on the keypad rather than just the play botton?

8. marcusa

marcusa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Tried selecting tracks via the remote but no luck. It just isn't recognising that a CD is in the drive. I turned a CD upside down and got the same result ..... 0h.00m00s

Has it possible slipped into some kind of safety or travel mode (maybe as a result of being in my car as I brought it homw)? Is the cd laser dirty, in which case will cleaning help? How do you clean th laser head?

As you can see I am starting to clutch at straws and trying to deny that I might have to replace the CD laser:mad:

9. Barr_y

Barr_y
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Try buying a CD laser cleaner but I am beginning to think that the CD laser has gone. I recently had one go in my old Panasonic system. I had a new laser put in at a cost of £97 which cured it, then I sold it for £100, with three month guarantee, was better than throwing it away.