2910/4306 Setup

magrillz

Just wondered if anyone could give me some advice on the set-up/configuration of my DVD player and AV Receiver? I have a DVD-2910 player and AVR-4306 receiver linked to a Panasonic 37” PV500 and my questions are regarding HDMI.

At the moment I have got my DVD player set to ‘HDMI Y Cb Cr’ and the format to 720p. My DVD’s HDMI output goes into the amp which then outputs the signal to the TV. My amp is set to ‘Through’ with regards to HDMI handling at the moment.

I am just wondering if this is the best set-up or whether I would be better sending a standard signal to the amp and then letting the amp up-scale to 720p.

Does anyone know if the 2910 actually up-scales or if the AVR4306 is best at doing this. The picture at the moment looks excellent so it’s not that I am un-happy just curious as to all the different options available.

I know this is a bit of a specific issue but thought a few of you may have a similar set-up.

Any advice would be great,

thanks in advance. :smashin:

Jase

Distinguished Member
Better to just leave it as it is now as the 2910 already upscales via DVI/HDMI.

magrillz

Cheers for that. I wasn't sure if the 2910 actually upscaled so I will leave as is.

With regards to the HDMI Setup would HDMI Y Cb Cr be the best bet. I am assuming it is better than HDMI RGB. Without sounding a bit thick, I thought that when using HDMI that was it, didn't realise you could switch between RGB etc.

Thanks for your help

Jase

Distinguished Member
HDMI (YCbCr) would be my choice to be honest.

magrillz

Ok thanks Jase, much appreciated :smashin:

scarty16

which has the better scaler the 2910 or the 4306, as that is where you want to do the scaling.

Agreed HDMI is the connection you want from 2910 to 4306.

magrillz

To be honest i don't really know. I think Jase was saying it might be best to do the scaling at the main source if poss but then I suppose the 4306's scaler might be better?! Can't seem to see anything on the Denon sight though that gives specifics on the upsaclers. :confused:

i may try my dealer and see what they say

scarty16

Looks like they are the same to me (based on denon specs)

4306 specs
Video Processing
I/P Conversion Faroudja FLI-2310

Video A/D Converter 10-bit (ADV7403)

Video D/A Converter 216 MHz / 12-Bit (ADV7320)

Scaler 480p bzw. 576p / 720p / 1080i
(for analogue Video-Signals > HDMI-output)

2910 specs (from denon site)

Video Section
D.D.V.C. (Dual Discrete Video Circuit)

DVI-D output (HDCP)

HDMI-output (HDCP)

Scaler (for DVI, HDMI) 480p or 576p / 720p / 1080i
(50, 60 Hz)

Progressive Scan PAL / NTSC

Progressive ScanEngine Faroudja DCDi FLI-2310

Video D/A Converter 216-MHz / 12-bits (2 x ADV7310)

Video Oversampling interlaced / progressive x 16 / x 8

magrillz

Hi mate,

Do you think that the 2910 would be better then. I don't know much about this but it looks like it has 2 x Video converters and the Faroudja processor looks to have DCDI whatever that is.

Sorry to be thick but don't understand what all the bits do. From what i remeber the Faroudja chip does the upscaling doesn't it?

Thanks for your help

scarty16

Not sure it makes any difference as long as you keep the signal Digital all the way as you will avoid the D/A & A/D stages.

SImon

magrillz

Cool, thanks for your help with this :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom