2900 or 29/3910 OR Marantz 66/7600

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TopMeTom, Mar 26, 2006.

1. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Hello,

as title says what do you reckon?Will be purchased s/hand ex dem for around 500ish. Apart from the 2900 which is around 300 off ebay.This is now my new limit!
    I did really want an arcam but they are at ridiculous'o'prices on ebay!!!!:(
    Will be for component for now till i can get rid of pj:thumbsup:

Cheers,

Phil

2. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Hi Philb :) . as you know I'm hardly unbiased ;).

Good component out. Better CD replay than 2910/3910, but haven't tried. Has no HDMI; may be something you want once you upgrade your pj. No Denon-Link or i.link firewire, very good if you have, or plan to get a Denon amp with D-Link, or reciever with i.link. I will definitely miss the D-link on my 3910.
    Meant to have similar video performance as 3910, but not as good audio. I haven't done an A/B though. No Denon-Link or i.link digital audio outputs.
    Has better digital-analogue audio converters than 2910. So, if the video is the same (?), then the audio is the main differemce. Additionally, has Denon-link & firewire outputs which can output all digital audio, including SACD & DVD-A, signals to an appropriate av reciever. D-Link & firewire are desirable over coaxial due to being able to pass higher sampling rates & due to them reducing audio jitter. Meant to have very good component outs.
    Marantz 7600
    Probably good audio, but no i.link digital output. Video is probably comparable to the above.
    Marantz 6600
    Probably drop down in video & audio performance from the others, but does play DiVX.

3. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    I don't have any plans for a denon amp as I have a pio ax3/rotel rmb 1075 combo.

4. gatesy666

gatesy666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 2900 for sale if you are interested. :D

5. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    what colour price etc?

6. gatesy666

gatesy666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Its gold/champagne, boxed with remote & manual.
    £250 not incl. postage

7. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Thanks but the colour is wrong.want silver ideally,thanks anyway mate!

8. gatesy666

gatesy666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no worries :)

9. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Well, i.link may be useful if you ever upgrade your reciever, especially when you think that in the future you may need the 5.1 analogue ins for a seperate hidef player. 3910 has very good analogue outs on it as well, but somehow CD doesn't perform anywhere as good as multichannel. SACD can either go direct outputting true SACD, or be converted to pcm taking advantage of bass management.

Additionally, the 6609-E firmware update improved colours & sharpness over HDMI on the 3910, which others have reported in the 3910 hack thread in DVD player & handset hacks forum.

I believe Kazman bought a Marantz 7600, so it may be worthwhile doing a search & checking that. If audio is important I would look at the 7600 or 3910.

If anyone wants a 9 month old 3910 in mint condition, have a look here www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321461 before it gets sent to the great auction site in the sky :)

10. Italo Tettoni

Italo Tettoni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Marantz 6600 is not only technically on par with the Denon players but is also free of any bugs, no ''probably" about it.
    The 7600 is also ''probably'' the same:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315961&highlight=marantz+6600

11. usman24

usman24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Philb,

If you don't need hdmi or dvi the denon 2900 is superior to 2910/3910 for picture quality via component outputs. Sharper less noisy/blocky picture than the faroudja progressive chip players. I used to own a 2910 denon and thought it was poor. I bought a second hand denon 2900 and found out to my surprise that the picture quality and sound quality is superb and is far less fussy about which dvd discs it will play. so far my denon 2900 has played absolutely anthing I have thrown at it. My 2910 played about 80% of the discs. Also far superior build quality on the 2900, if thats important to you.

Just my thoughts.

12. gallium

gallium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even though i.Link sounds great in theory (and makes it easy to wire things up), you are still limited by the DA converter in the receiver, which most likely won't be as good as what you'd get from something like marantz hdam. Cheaper DVD players that have iLink usually skimp on analog quality as then theres 'a good excuse to use things like dLink / iLink' to help sell more receivers. Customers notice a 'nice' sound improvement with iLink or DLink because the original preouts were so bad.

iLink starts to make more sence with digital amps, but it will be some time before digital amps catch up to analogue ones. Most ultra-high end stuff still doesn't use iLink for similar resons. (they mostly use balanced analog preouts)

If sound quality is important, I'd tradeoff some of the bells and whistles for better audio preouts on the Marantz. Marantz also has excellent picture quality with no macroblocking.

Given that the Denon 2910/3910 are getting a bit old (2920/3920 should be out later this year) I'd go the Marantz 7600 if you can afford it. I'm about to buy one myself...

13. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Thanks but I have no need for i-link.I think I will go for the 2900 option for now,maybe.I still would like a arcam but it is just the money side of things...

14. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    only downside of the 2900 is chroma bug if i remember correctly. but if you eyes see pass that it still has one of the best pictures out there and probaly the best layerchange as well (somthing the likes of arcam and pioneer could learn from). I think the marantz also has a pretty seamless layerchange, the 9600 does for sure.

15. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Have never noticed any Chroma issues on my 2900, so this may well have been resolved with a firmware update?

I'm very happy with mine, and am unlikely to change it until the HD format has settled.

16. usman24

usman24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I can't say I have noticed the bug either. The picture is fanatastic on everything I have played in it except for Alien directors cut on dvd. The picture quality is fine but I found the picture had too much flickering for my liking which was quite distracting. This is the only film I have had this problem with otherwise excellent performance. Frc problem? Maybe

17. fongster76

fongster76
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    never tested the denon's out but the marantz 7600 is very good. pictures are very nice and sound is good but it wasnt comparable to my arcam cd73. layer change was very good as gandley said. but you are right the arcams are awesome, other than the layer change the dv79 is great.

18. usman24

usman24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think 7600 uses marantz and silicon image processing so it must be good.