1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

28LS60 Impressions

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Bragelonne, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Bragelonne

Bragelonne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi chaps,

After all the disappointment and subsequent hassle of returning my Panasonic TX32PH40, my faith in 100Hz has been shaken, so after much (but not enough, see below) research I've shelled out for a 28LS60; smaller, cheaper, but it is better ?:

Buzz:

No buzzing :clap:
    If I put my ear to the back, I can only just detect it in a silent room; a major fear allayed quickly !

Picture:

DVD: The picture is fantastic through RGB from the DV-656A; vibrant colours and no 100Hz spoilage; I recommend sitting a way away though for optimum appreciation. Unfortunately, the flickering in daylight scenes issue with Pioneer players is present, somewhat less so than reported by others, but I think it could be a problem in the long run. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a decent DVD player to rival this Pioneer, as it is easily the best mid-range player I've seen; I'm loathe to be rid of it.

Gamecube: The cube looks very good in RGB mode, I did need to apply some RGB centering to the picture though and the edges on the Rogue Leader menu appeared to warp; this didn't happen in game though. I'll be testing this with further disks.

XBox: Superb, Halo really shines on this; no downsides as yet particularly as the sound is DD5.1 through the amp, but I digress ;)

Sky: This was a big concern for my after the PH40's diabolical performance, but I'm relieved to report, it ranges from excellent to satisfactory depending on the channel; Movies are great, lesser channels show some grain. Overall, I'm happy.

Video: Video playback is as expected; decent, but the source flaws are brought to the fore. I do neglect the video when buying decent Scart leads though, which I intend to remedy.

PS2: The stylish S-Video side socket (AV4) is used for the PS2 and it's performing solidly; it is weaker, particularly on edges than the RGB, but the colours are a step up from my previous TV.

Sound: It sounded alright, but I turn the TV speakers off, then off again every time I put into standby. This is a pain, but I always intended to use the amp via the RCA audio-outs. I thought this TV didn't feature audio outs (another gap in research), so I was pleasantly surprised.

Sockets: Two RGB :D and one S-Video scart at rear, there could be bigger gaps between them, but that's nitpicking. There is also a quality side panel with S-Video DIN or composite and RCA audio ins.

Cabinet: Easy to assemble, but a bit small for my needs; I left the glass doors off as well. TV isn't anchored to well either, it's not about to fall off, but could, in theory, slide.

Overall, I'm happy. 28" suits my room better than 32" and the 100Hz is living up to being a desirable feature. Minor caveats exist, but the main downside is the manufacturer incompability between Sony and Pioneer. Still, this set is not going back :smashin:

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It can't slide if you put the TV on correctly. There are holes in the base of the TV and 'bumps' on the top of the cabinet and you have to make sure the 'bumps' insert into the holes. There's also a plastic strap that goes on the back to help further. Sure you didn't miss these things out? ;)

3. ubik

ubik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one Brag,
    I'm going to order the 32" 32LS60.
    Worries me slightly when you say
    "but the main downside is the manufacturer incompability between Sony and Pioneer"
    as I have the Pioneer 303 all in one system picked out over Sony's
    own DAV550. (pioneer 303 £280 multiregion, Sony 550 £350 multiregion)

4. paulMK

paulMK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you mean:

I have a Pioneer 350 DVD player and KV32LS60 TV and when using RGB I get the same issues. Otherwise I am 100% happy with the TV, even 4:3 has nice perfect straight borders - horray! No buzzing, no faults with 100hz - remote works my DVD/TV/VIDEO, does everything I wanted.

My Import Cube via modified RGB is amazing. I assume the huge clunk noise is normal when switching the TV on??? Even my n64 via RCA is pretty damn good. Tried out my US Cube with s-vhs AV4 and that looked pretty damn fine as well, so yes I would say the LS60 is one of the best, Pioneer DVD issues aside :rolleyes:

On my Pioneer 350 if you disable RGB and just go "video" then you get a massive drop in quality but the lines on bright/outdoor scenes go away!

Are any Sony DVD players Multi-region out of the box? To be honest the flickering issues with the Pioneer are bloody annoying and I am thinking of getting a Sony DVD player and giving my Pioneer to my Dad. (haha fingers crossed they work with his Panasonic TV)

PaulMK

5. ubik

ubik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PaulMk (is that milton keynes?)
    the Sony dav550 is not multi region out of the box, you have to "rent" a remote control for £40 that makes it so.
    Richer sounds have it for £300 then its £40 for the remote (i forget where)
    Hmmm, really torn now between the pioneer and the sony.
    my mate has the sony and for films its really good, for music its a bit tinny and bass is lacking.

6. Bragelonne

Bragelonne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's the thing with my Pioneer; it's musically inclined with decent CD playback and support for SACD and DVD-A.

It's pretty a much a guarantee that any Sony player will NOT support DVD-A, as SACD is their baby :(

Ho-hum, there's always something... :suicide:

7. paulMK

paulMK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Yep Milton Keynes.

I would rather not go above £200 for a Sony DVD player. Damn shame as my Pioneer was only £120 and the picture is really good (I think - well it looks good to me) Before that I had a Toshiba 220e (again, I thought it was great) but I had no end of problems with it freezing on layer changes. So after 3 no hassle swaps from RS I got the pioneer on their advise.

My advise would be to stay away from the combination of Pioneer DVD and Sony TV's as you will soon get annoyed with the bright/outdoor scenes - you can't help but see them.

Oh well...

Regards

PaulMK

8. ubik

ubik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Paul
    I am an milton keynion also!

Richer Sounds Mk have the sony dav550 for £300.

After hearing what you say I might just go for that now, as I want it mainly for film\dvd and not music and my mates system sounds great for that.
    the dav550 includes all the speakers, and the dvd etc. And looks dead good.
    I already have an alba 103 dvd player which I am happy with but I want the full 5.1 sound now

9. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Maybe all us Milton Keynesians ought to get together and compare stuff over a pint or 10? :)