2809ci: Want stereo, getting surround instead

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by RobertA, Feb 12, 2009.

1. RobertA

RobertA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 2809ci, with an older Sony DVD player hooked up through component video and digital optical. The audio settings are configured to Standard and Auto (detect). Here's the issue:

When I play DVDs with Dolby 5.1 surround, everything seems to come out right: Sound goes to all 6 speakers and the front panel display says something like "Dolby PL-II Cinema" if my recollection is correct.

However, when I insert a 2 channel CD in the DVD player, the display still says Dolby and the sound comes out in surround mode using all speakers, instead of 2-channel stereo.

Why won't the receiver automatically detect the fact that the source material is in stereo instead of 5.1? Denon cannot answer the question.

Thank you,
    Robert Ades:)

2. Zappes

Zappes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If it says something like "Dolby PL-II Cinema", it actually detects a stereo signal and blows it up to 5.1. If the signal was true multichannel, the receiver would output either "Multichannel" or "Dolby Digital".

In order to get real stereo, choose the "stereo/direct" mode on the remote, that one can be found on the touch screen. After doing so, every stereo signal will be output as such. Also make sure that your DVD player is configured to actually output surround sound, not just stereo. Depending on the DVD, you might have to also select that in the DVD's menu.

3. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,298
    You should be able to tell your amplifier to default to outputting stereo when given a two channel source.

I'm just trying to download the owners manual but it is taking an eternity... Will get back to you later...

4. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,298
    OK.

Menu
    5. Information
    ...4. Auto Surround Mode

Set the two channel options to 'STEREO'

Steve

5. RobertA

RobertA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I'm aware of that feature. My question, however, is can't the receiver be configured to auto detect the signal so that I don't have to manually change it when the source content changes?

6. RobertA

RobertA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve:

I explore this option when I get home tonight, but I think it might already be set this way.

-Robert

7. Zappes

Zappes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    My point was that your content didn't change at all. Dolby ProLogic II is a type of signal processing for stereo signals, i.e. everything you sent to the receiver so far was plain and simple stereo and the receiver treated all of that the same way.

If you select stereo for that type of signal, the receiver will always give you stereo output for stereo sources instead of applying ProLogic processing. In order to get 5.1 you will actually have to feed a 5.1 signal to the receiver which you haven't done so far.

8. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    "Using a Nordost Valhalla power cord for your dishwasher is decadent. Claiming that it sounds better because of the cable is rather cool, though."

You need to post this in the cables section !
    Fab !:thumbsup:

9. RobertA

RobertA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Zappes, so the receiver is not capable of detecting the presence or absence of a Dolby 5.1 signal and switching automatically?

Let me give a slightly different example. I recently bought a device that connects my laptop, via its USB port, to the Denon, via its optical port. It's made by Creative Zen, and is configured for 2.1 sound.

Still, when the stereo signal hits the Denon, it gets processed into Dolby 5.1. I can hit Stereo Direct and all is fine, but I still wonder what "Auto" is all about if it cannot automatically detect the nature of the signal.

-Robert

10. Zappes

Zappes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    How do I explain this... In your first post, you mentioned that the receiver displayed "Dolby PL-II Cinema" when you fed it what you thought to be a 5.1 signal. It wasn't a 5.1 signal. It was stereo. Only stereo can be processed using Dolby Prologic. If the DVD player had actually sent a 5.1 signal the receiver would have displayed "Dolby Digital" or "Multichannel" and on the left-hand side of the display you would have seen the 5.1 input channel symbols.

Based on what you told us so far, I assume that everything you've thrown at the 2809 so far was stereo. Stereo that was matrixed to 5.1 by the receiver, thus giving you a certain amount of surround sound. If my assumption is correct, you should select stereo/direct as output mode for those stereo signals and see what happens when you actually send a 5.1 signal to the receiver, which you didn't so far - at least from what I can tell.

The 2809 is very capable of distinguishing between 5.1 and stereo and it will automatically select the last selected listening mode for the respective type of input. I know for sure, my 2809 just switched from 5.1 to stereo when a programme on TV that was broadcast in Dolby Digital ended and one in stereo started.

11. Peter Galbavy

Peter Galbavy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You need to make sure - for real 5.1 input - that the DVD player is set to send multichannel and that the DVD you are watching is playing the 5.1 soundtrack. Many DVDs (still) default to the two channel surround track.