2805 vs 3805

Simon78

Standard Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a quick answer to the basic difference between these two units - and yes I know one is more expensive than the other (lol) - I am looking to set up a home cinema - Linn Keilidhs at the front and Kans at the back - not sure on centre or sub yet but think want Denon amp to drive - this will all be supporting projector set up - as I am new will I be better saving funds and getting the 2805 or is there a substantial quality increase in the 3805?? Help please :confused:

I considered both ,there's not really that much difference in all honesty.

See http://www.denon.co.uk/site/frames_...C=3&action=prodlist&Pid=&main=prod&ver=&sub=1 for further comparison.I felt the most disappointing factor,and the reason I didn't bother to buy the 3805,was that the Denon-link was not capable of carrying SACD channels.(I'm aware of the conflicting opinions on this forum regarding SACD,but having listened to quite a few albums I have to say I like it).

Regards
Ian

DRD - thanks for that I am coming to the same conclusion but struggle to understand why how they can justify the more expensive model - they don't even give you the microphone I understand for the set up thingy (technical term - feel free to look it up! lol) - Did you get a good deal on yours? And if so where from if I might be so bold? :)

I paid a little over the odds at the time to get a black one from Sevenoaks,everyone else had silver or none at all (this was early Feb.).Both come with the set-up microphone AFAIK,mine certainly did.
Regards
Ian

The 3805 has different DAC's (Burr Brown PCM 1791), Denon Link 3, HDCD decoding, 24 bit 192 Khz Analog to Digital conversion on all stereo analog inputs (Burr Brown PCM 1804), Alpha Processing on ALL channels, 3 Zone capability and a bit more power output. That's what the extra cost gets you. :)

Jase - you are clearly someone who knows their subject so I would very much like your opinion as to whether or not I need to save up for the 3805 or settle for the 2805. The system will be Linn Keilidhs at the front, Linn Kans at the rear, possibly a Linn Av 5120 in the centre although may be an audiovector AV C 3 and a sub from Rel I guess. The kit will almost purely be for use with a projector for DVD viewing.

I must come clean and say I didn't understand all of the differnces you highlighted so would be grateful if on the basis of the above you could offer an opinion on whether I am going to notice little, no or enormous difference if I go for the 3805 over the 2805.

Many thanks,

Simon

If I were running a Denon 3910 dvd player then I'd opt for the 3805 purely to take advantage of the Denon Link. If you're using another type of player then the actual real world differences in sound between the 3805 and 2805 are minimal. The 3805 has the edge but don't expect massive leaps in performance. All depends if you want the extra bits the 3805 has such as HDCD decoding or not and whether you consider the extra outlay worth it. I can only suggest having a listen to both of them and decide which one you prefer. :)

I can certainly report that I am getting good results from a 3805 with a Linn speaker setup - AV5120, Ninkas and Uniks.

I do have both. The 3805 hooked to the 3910, and the 2805 hooked to Sony NS 905.
I don't see great difference between the performance of the two A/Vs in terms of audio and video. However, with respect to the technical specs., the 3805 has advantages like HDCD, Denon Link and power (120W versus 100W at 8 ohms). Although i tried the Denon link i still use the normal connections and the 6 RCA connections to play DVD-A and SACD.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom