1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

28" widescreen with two RGB Scarts

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mister_d, Oct 31, 2003.

1. mister_d

mister_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Now that I've confirmed the JVC AV28R25 only has one RGB-enabled Scart, there seem to be very few 28" TVs with two RGBs in the sub-£400 or thereabouts price bracket.

At the moment the graded Sony KV28LS60 is the definite frontrunner, mainly due to the total lack of competition. To be honest I'm not entirely keen on the idea of a 100Hz set, but the LS60's processing is apparently much less noticeable than most, and overlooking the fact that it's graded (which, while not ideal, doesn't concern me massively) the usual price argument is fairly moot because it's actually cheaper than the majority of single-RGB 50Hz sets.

Do I have any other real choices? I know Thomson's WF401G also has two RGBs, but I can't imagine it costing any less than the Sony, and I'd obviously go for the latter at the same price given Thomson's reputation with 100Hz processing. Apart from that, everything seems to be one RGB only without getting into £500+ high-end territory (and even then a single RGB isn't exactly uncommon), and I'm not willing to spend that kind of money.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated :)

2. Ivor_Biggern

Ivor_Biggern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Hi mate, the Sony KV28FX68 Features: are as follows!

66cm visible FD Triniton WEGA screen (28" tube)
    100Hz (AABB)
    Digital Noise Reduction (DNR)
    3D sound
    Virtual Dolby + BBE
    3 x SCART (RGB on SCART 1 and 2)
    Universal remote

Ive just ordered this one with the it having 2 RGB scart connections and good reviews! Its a little over your`e budget of £400 but i have not seen any below £500 that have 2 RGB scart connections!

Hope it helps.

3. gchaplin

gchaplin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    The Panasonic TX28PS12 has 2 rgb enabled scarts - plus an s-video - and it's 100Hz

yes, yes, it's £650 in your local electrical retailer but if you look about on the internet it's about £500 - you can even get it for a smudge over that at www.tesco.com

Have not bought one yet but it's on the shopping list!!!

G

4. mister_d

mister_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks very much for the recommendations, and they both sound like excellent sets (particularly the FX68, which I've already contemplated and ruled out), but they're unfortunately too expensive, as £400 is pushing it already and I really don't want to allow my budget to expand uncontrollably as it always seems to with these things.

Looks like I'll have to decide whether to risk the LS60 or forego an RGB socket - the former seems the more sensible option at the moment.

5. thespian

thespian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of a second RGB scart - I just bought the JVC set yesterday and it really is superb. The HCC and What Video reviews were a little misleading I must say.

I'm using the RGB for a Sony 725 with RGB passthrough for a NGC. The composite link with sky isn't bugging me too much yet but I guess when it becomes a little too annoying I will get one of these: http://www.rgbtosvideo.com/ There is a review up at http://www.whatvideotv.com/ - it also looks like a useful gizmo anyway.

BTW - I wouldn't go with the Sony personally - well, not if quality of sound is important to you.

6. mister_d

mister_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your reply, the JVC is probably top of my list (alongside the Panasonic PS1, though the reliability issues seem a little too widespread for my liking) if I do decide to opt for a single Scart set. I assume you went for the R25 - any idea whether there is any difference between this and the T25 other than sound?

Sound isn't a straightforward issue for me. I'd like decent audio, but as explained in this thread, I'm restricted to very low volume levels the majority of the time, so I'll probably stick to headphones. I was originally going to upgrade my audio setup first to one with a 'night mode', but on reflection I decided that my 21" TV with no widescreen button and severe moire issues to be the far greater weakness. To be honest, the difference between poor and moderately decent sound is not particularly important to me - in the long run I'll get an external 5.1/DTS setup, and I definitely won't be satisfied with anything less.

I suppose the two RGB sockets isn't too major an issue, I just want to avoid having to buy two decent Scart cables to attach my DVD player via my existing switchbox along with my PS2/Gamecube.

With these two points in mind, I'm still erring towards the Sony, though I remain far from convinced.

7. thespian

thespian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it's horses for courses really, isn't it?

Yes, I went for the R25 - as far as I know, there isn't any technical difference between the the two JVC model apart from the aformentioned sound. There is a T25 review on HCC which does intimate a couple of differences but I doubt it's anything to get worried about.

I wouldn't overdo the research bit though - just look at a couple of reviews, see it in a shop, if you like it in the flesh and the price is right, then go for it.

By the way, it really makes me laugh but maybe these magazine reviewers should spend a little time looking at the back of a set and ascertaining the available A/V connections rather than staring at the screen looking for "minor bleed and tizzing between green and pink".