1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

28" Widescreen recommendations

Discussion in 'TVs' started by mustang, Mar 19, 2002.

1. mustang

mustang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a Hitachi 28" Widescreen TV which i have had for about 2 years now. Ideally i would like to go for a bigger screen but it would probably look too big in my lounge.
    I would like my next TV to be flat-screen, 3x scart, not bothered about pro-logic etc. as most of the time it will be hooked up to my amp.
    So far i have looked at models from Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba & Hitachi, my budget would be around the £800 mark.

I know the best way to compare is to visit places like Comet & Powerhouse but it would be nice to have a short-list before hand :D

I would be very grateful for anyone's recommendations.

Cheers! :)

mustang.

2. Chappers

Chappers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking at Comet's deal of Thompson 28" flatscreen (3 Scarts!)100hz + TIVO for £628.34 (or £599 without the TIVO).
    Have heard good things of Thompson.
    I went into my local independent TV retailer today and the owner recommended a Phillips set for 28" widescreen. When I asked him what he had at home he'd gone for Thompson.
    When I told him of Comet's deal he said "Buy it."
    Sure Sony, Pana, Tosh have good names (I have both Pana & Sony sets at present) but for a flatscreen virtual Dolby set-up with 100hz, £599 seems a bargain! I don't have stereo VHS at present but TIVO will tide me over unti DVD recorders come down from £900 to £300 in a couple of years.
    Try www.krishav.co.uk if you want Sony as the KV28LS35 is £499 (£750 in Argos) - could be a mistake !!!!
    Anyone else tried Thompson out there?
    Apparently they're the third largest electronics co in the World?

3. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +675
    Hi Mustang,

I've just had a Panasonic TX-28PB50 delivered, & I am mighty impressed. It has 3 x Scart (2 RGB), 100Hz, Pure Flat Screen, Multiwindow options (you may consider gimmicky), & I think the picture quality is superb. There are many options to alter the picture processing, which I am still playing with. What it also has is DTS etc, which IMHO produces very impressive sound, but if you intend to hook up to seperates, you will be paying for somthing you don't need. This is available from Techtronics for £839 inc. Vat & delivery (but there may be a long lead time). I believe that the TX-28PL10 has the same tube etc, but without some of the picture processing. This set is a straight Nicam, & so should be cheaper.

Cheers

4. mustang

mustang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Orson,

Thanks for the info, what was the service like from Techtronics as I've heard from alot of people that they can be a bit dodgy.

The Panasonic sounds very impressive, the 2 RGB scart sockets is something that I would like.

Do you know of any reviews anywhere?

Cheers! :)

mustang.

5. CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive just returned from looking around my local Currys, and i spotted the last tx28pb50 for sale at an unbelievable price.....£735!!

I noticed that the rear speakers were absent and was told if they dont find them by tomorrow then the price will be £700!!

I am currently debating whether the 'hidden features' of my present set are worth the money i paid. ...... This offer is tipping the scales in favour of swap.

6. Orson

Orson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +675
    Hi Mustang,

I think I misled you in my earlier post, as I didn't want to waffle, but you asked so here goes...

I didn't buy the TV from Techtronics as;
    a) They didn't have it in stock.
    b) I wasn't impressed with their responses when I contacted them about various TV's & DVD's.
    c) The other postings about them were off-putting.

I actually bought the set from Home Electrical Direct (hed.co.uk), but I bought over the phone. The people at HED were very helpful, and they offer a price match, but only if someone has it in stock, so they wouldn't match Techtronics, but for some reason, they would match the Empire Direct (who didn't have it in stock either) price of £839 + delivery. I'm not sure why, but I wasn't arguing. So I ended up paying £860 all in. I didn't bother with all this info as it goes a fair way over your budget.

As for HED's service.....

The carrier delivering the goods told me he'd had some kind of leak in the back of his lorry, & the box for the TV & Stand had gotten very wet. The cardboard had been sitting in water & almost disintegrated when touched. As I had waited in all day, I signed for the goods as showing damage, & phoned HED straight away.
    Again, they were very helpful (the person actually acted like a human) & asked if I wanted to reject the goods now, or would I like to unpack & inspect & then reject etc. I obviously chose the latter, & said I would be in touch if there was a problem.
    The next day, someone from HED phoned to see if all was OK & was I happy - I was. They told me not to worry & to continue to use the set, & they would phone back in 3 days to see if all was OK. I asked about the damaged packaging, & HED said that if I ever had to send the set back, they would provide new packaging. The invoice arrived by post the next day,
    & they seem efficient & helpful.
    Also, HED were the only retailer of any sort who told me that a VCR I had been about to order at was about to be discontinued & superceded.

As for you CouchPotato, all I can say is you lucky b*@%%er, go & buy!:D

Right, I'm off to put an ice pack on my typing finger....

7. mustang

mustang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Orson :blush: .

I'm going away next week but when I get back I'll go around my local Comet, Curry's & Powerhouse and see whats about.

Cheers for the info on HED, they sound like they value their customers.

CYA!

mustang.

8. mafw

mafw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I just found this thread which mentions Home Electrical Direct.
    I'm glad you had good experiences with HED but my experiences
    with them have been the exact opposite.

I bought a Panasonic TX28PB50 set from them which had the famous high pitched noise problem and I reported the fault to them immediately. At first they were helpful and promised a replacement set (or refund) if the set could not be repaired on site. However they sent 2 engineers by mistake.

After that I could not contact their customer services for weeks. I phoned many times and got a secretary or voice-mail but no-one called me back. Eventually I managed to speak to the right person but they would not agree to replace the set (in spite
    of the fact that the second engineer had confirmed the fault).

I then wrote a letter to the MD about the poor service but no-one
    even replied to that! I complained to the "Which Web Trader"
    Scheme and after that I got a garbled message on my answer
    phone offering a refund. It took several days before I
    managed to speak to them again and they told me that they
    would collect the set and give me a refund. At no time did
    they offer an apology or even an explanation of their appaling
    service.

They did collect the TV set but they have NOT refunded
    the money. I am now taking action via my credit card company
    to get my money back.

I would advise anyone to avoid HED.