28" Widescreen Picture Quality

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by dponton, Apr 19, 2005.

1. dponton

dponton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently replaced my failing Sony Trinitron 21" (4:3) with a Philips 28PW6518 which seemed to get good reviews (especially for its picture quality) and was at a good price on ebuyer.

I found the picture quality (in my opinion) quite poor, in particular when it was displaying strong adjacent (particularly computer generated) colours such as the ITV logo, Sky Digital menus and the text on many adverts. The edge between the colours would be very fuzzy and would appear to 'bleed'. After trying every possible picture setting combination I sent it back and was duly refunded.

I then decided to return to Sony and decided that a KV-28HX15U would be ideal. Before buying I decide to view it at my local Comet (!!). Even allowing for showroom setups, the picture didn't look brilliant and it also appeared to suffer from the problem with colour borders.

Am I being incredibly fussy? Is this problem common to all new TVs (widescreen?) or is it a problem with large screens. If it is a size thing, then I'm stuck 'cos 26" sets seem to have disappeared and 24" sets are difficult to find. If it wasn't for all DVDs etc in WS I'd get a 4:3 set.

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I recently bought the "not quite flat" version of this Philips TV from ebuyer for £200. I am very pleased with the picture quality. I haven't phorensically examined it, it's just a general TV for family viewing, but for the price I can't imagine anyone having an issue with the quality.

...PJ

3. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    What you are probably seeing is digital proccessing from sky ,your tv or both.The incresased picture definition from modern tvs show more artifacts than older sets.With dvd playback it should be a lot better.