1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

28" widescreen idTV

Discussion in 'TVs' started by john.marks, Jan 22, 2005.

1. john.marks

john.marks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am looking at purchasing either a PANASONIC TX28DTX1 or a Philips 28DW6559. I can't find any reviews on either, not sure if they are fairly new to the market. Can anyone recommend one or the other to me? They seem to have similar features. I am not bothered about sound quality as I run everything through my amp.

Thanks

John

2. john.marks

john.marks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bump!

Anyone, at all, got one of these sets?

3. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have much experience of either of these except an hour or so in JL comparing them to the Sony KD-28DL11. There wasn't that much to choose between them all on picture quality but the Sony won hands-down on EPG usefullness and digital text speed.

4. john.marks

john.marks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did the Sony have a small picture of channel you are watching in the corner of the epg?

I guess I should go look at some and compare them, rather than rely solely on reviews.

Cheers :)

5. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, the quarter-screen live TV on the EPG is a feature of the previous model (KD-28DL10) but not the DL11. Some people prefer that but I like the current one because you can see more of the schedule.

I agree with your comment about the reviews. Have seen for myself some of the TVs that have had high praise in the magazines and been very dissappointed I would definitely advocate going somewhere like John Lewis that has the IDTVs plugged into a decent RF feed, with the remote controls on-hand too.

6. Sasqwatch

Sasqwatch
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    @ john.marks Did you buy either of the sets? I was looking at the Philips 28DW6559.

7. murfittm

murfittm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't comment on the Philips set but have got the Panny TX28DTX10 which is the 100htz version of the DTX1, picture quality good, 2 downsides I can see are the long load times for digital text and the EPG cuts out the TV feed when you select it.