1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

28" widescreen for £159.99

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ace420, Nov 11, 2004.

1. ace420

ace420

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Argos are selling a Beko 28" widescreen for £159.99 (previously £199.99). Don't know much about the tv, but if anyone is after a cheapy I suggest checking it out. It doesn't seem to be on their website, but it was advertised in the national press today :)

2. ace420

ace420

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My error, it is on their website. Look under the 28" section rather than the Beko section. It comes with 2 scarts, thats about as much as I know.

3. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At that price it will have an abominable picture and will more than likely be toast in 3 years, possibly less. They are built down to a price and the quality is not good. I have seen Beko sets like the one above and I think they are atrocious. I'd save my money and get something decent.

4. mrm3

mrm3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Would recommend spending only a little bit more a getting a Phillips from ebuyer.
    Bargain.

5. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure it would be that much better to be honest - I would also be surprised if it is genuine Philips and not some of this grey market fodder which passes for TV sets. At that price you really are scraping the barrel as far as the under the skin engineering goes.

As far as CRT goes I wouldn't pay any less than £400 for a basic 28" widescreen and even then I think there would still be problems.

6. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Sainsbury is also selling a Lodos (Who?) 28 inch Widescreen TV for £159.99 if you are in the market for a cheap TV. I haven't seen this so can't comment on it's quality or lack of.

Mr_Fantastic

7. hmsq

hmsq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Having worked at sainsburys we have yet to receive one of these tvs back as faulty, however these things just sell like hot cakes.
    In some stores you can get 75% off the displayed price, as long as they are non comm. ask a manager at the store he can help you, NON COMM is only know within the management circle, so staff don't know about it. We were selling sony VCR for £100 now we sold them at £9.87 more then 75% off mind you they went in 1 minute we only had 4.

8. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'm sorry but that made no sense at all to me. What is comm? How can the store manager help? How do you go about getting 75% off already cheap items?

I had a look at the Lodos 28" today and the picture looked pretty damn good compared to the Sony £500 set sitting next to it. I'm very tempted.

Any more opinions on this tv?

9. Westender

Westender

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Bought a Lodos a couple of months ago but sent it back after a week - picture was awful. Might just have been a one off but I couldn't be bothered trying another one.

10. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    As has been said many times on this Forum, you get what you pay for.

A tv costing £200 obviously won't be as good as one costing £500 plus. :lesson:

However, as long as you realise that, these basic sets can be a great bargain.

(Particularly if, due to finances, the alternative is NO tv!)

If you invest in a 5yr guarantee, the build quality doesn't really matter.

11. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    That's a general rather than absolute rule IMO.

To my eyes the Lodos looked better actually. I think the colour was turned down too much on the Sony but I couldn't see any more detail. in it either. The Lodos isn't flat screen but that helps with geometry and lowers the price.

There were two of them set up, one with a DVD source that looked very nice and one with a freeview source which was so-so. The tv source one was right next to the Sony.

I couldn't get at the back so if anyone knows what connections it has I'd be grateful.

12. hmsq

hmsq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    A NON COMM is items that sainsburys wants to get rid of quick this can be due to items not being the range sold at stores, the item had been returnd to us by customers, or the product had been taken of the shelf and kept at the back for too long and when the stock is counted in the store is not add to sold items.
    Th reason being it becomes non comm, it does no appear on the c/o systems.

13. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks for clearing that up :)

14. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    check out widescreens on easibuy.co.uk, they got some good cheap ones going on there.

15. neenaw

neenaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    A couple of years ago I got a 21" phillips 4:3 telly for £180. It's not a great tv but it has done the job and has no major problems. £160 for a 28" widescreen tv does make me hear worrying alarm bells but I suppose so long as you don't expect much from a £200 tv then you can't really go wrong.