1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

28" widescreen CRT TV with HDMI input?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by HitmanIP7, Dec 13, 2004.

1. HitmanIP7

HitmanIP7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Im looking for a regular widescreen CRT TV with a HDMI input, but cant find any. Does anyone here know of any?

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    Such a product is unlikely to exist in Europe.
    Normally for HDMI (or even DVI) you would need some form of FPD (Flat Panel Display), i.e. Plasma or LCD.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

3. HitmanIP7

HitmanIP7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thats a shame, as at the moment Ive decided to not go for an LCD or a plasma.

4. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Such a beast is highly unlikely. I'd suggest the main reason for this is that they will not associalte new technology with what is increasingly marketed as low end product. CRT's will do this stuff, after all your PC CRT monitor is multi sync and multi scan and PC's work in progressive mode as a matter of nature, but to build this into a CRT design will of course increase the price of the TV. Since the long term intention of major manufacturers is to phase CRT's out I can't see any move towards HDMI or DVI input for any CRT design.

5. Wilt

Wilt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    How come in the USA they have HDMI inputs for their 32-34 inch HD CRTs? I'm sure we'll get HDMI inputs for new European CRTs when Sky HD starts.

I posted a question about HD CRTs as I would like to buy one but was advised to go plasma or DLP as CRTs will give an analouge output. But when I checked the manuals for a Panasonic and Toshiba 34 inch CRT they both had one HDMI input for true digital video.

6. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Americans have had access to HDTV for longer than Europe (we still haven't got it properly), so marketing TVs with digital inputs is feasible in that market. Over here it ain't going to happen, especially with the take-up of LCD and Plasma increasing. Your best bet on CRT is component (and there aren't many of those - only Toshiba?)

7. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is the problem.

The US are well ahead of us on this game so CRT has been available with HDMI for some time over there. With full conversion to a HD broadcast system in Europe still some years away yet I think CRT will have been largely kicked into touch by then, so it will not be a realistic investment for manufacturers to introduce such models here due largely to a zero or negative profit margin. It's not a case of possiblilty, it's largely down to raw economics.

As for component input most of the majors do a TV with such inputs. Toshiba were the first I think, but JVC, Panasonic, Samsung to name a few also have them on their top models. The most conspicuous by it absence is Sony. Even on the 36HQ100 there is no component. Very odd. Correct me if I'm wrong any Sony owners?