1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

28" Widescreen Choice

Discussion in 'TVs' started by PaoloC, Jan 15, 2003.

1. PaoloC

PaoloC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's me again, I've narrowed down my choice to the follwing options (not very narrow I know...)

PANASONIC TX28PL1
    PANASONIC TX28PL10
    PANASONIC TX28PB50
    TOSHIBA 28ZD26B
    PHILIPS 28PW9527C
    JVC AV28X25S

Does anyone have any experience with any of these sets - good or bad. I've looked around for some reviews, but they vary from place to place. Too many to choose from, which one do I go for.... :confused:
    Any help appreciated

2. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paolo

28PL1 and 28PL10 only have 2 Scarts from what I can tell. Dunno if that makes any difference to you. other thatn that they seem the same as 28PB50 except for sound.

28PW9527 sounds very impressive but there's a lot of stuff on this forum about PixelPlus and Philips geometry. it's put me off a bit, but read for yourself to decide.

The Tosh looks good to me, there's a HUGE post about the 32" version. I couldn't insert a link to it but bibooo has kindly summarised everything you ever need to know about the xxZD26 range (search for xxZD26P)

I was looking at the JVC last week. It wins on looks but doesn't seem to have some of the gadgetry of the other manufacturers. Also not sure on the picture quality of JVC.

28PB50 - seems that you are paying quite a bit more for the extra sound capabilities. if you are going to buy separate amp and speakers for your sound then maybe you could save £200 by not getting this TV. there's a review of this here h**p://www.home-entertainment.co.uk/grouptestcompare.asp?GroupID=2349

BUT, I'm in excatly the same position as you and am looking for a similar thing. Also think I'm as confused as you from reading too much so maybe my advice will add to your questions instead of your answers! Anyway, tried my best!

3. erbrod

erbrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had two 28PL1s and rejected them both due to poor geometry, but after checking virtually every TV in every retailer, my second set was actually one of the better ones! I just can't stomach spending +£500 for something I think should be able to draw a straight vertical line and can't.

That said, they are all like it (Sony seem to be worse) and the best sets for geometry are 21" curvy ones! 21" flat suffer the same problems as flat widescreen. £1500 sets fair no better on geometry.

The 28PL1 is no worse than many and better than quite a lot. Picture is the best on a 28" I've seen, provided your not prone to being able to see 50Hz flicker - I can but I can but it doesn't bother me. I find some 100Hz sets (especially Pannys) a bit 'unreal'. The Philips Pixel Plus 28" looks fantastic in appearance and the picture is superb, but then its nearly a grand. I wouldn't wast your money on surround sound or anything fancy - the basic layout of a TV ain't good for producing decent sound - get the standard Nicam and add your own external kit for DVD surround.

Good luck ....

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,381
  5. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Sonys- imo overpriced and (mostly) overrated.
    Bought because of their past name

E.g. you can buy a 28Pl1 Panasonic like mine, for the price of a KV24LS35 24" Sony. And that doesn't even have a stand.

When i got my tv (i work for an electronics store) the 28pl1 stood out way ahead for picture quality, ahead of the Tosh equivalent, and also the Sony 28LS35. We didn't do Philips at the time, but the 28PW6506 is a very nice set and also has a handy FM radio. JVC 28 T25/R25/X25 ok picture but styling is a bit wah-oo for mine, and quite a few customers tastes- the Philips and Panasonics may be more conservatively styled, but at least they won't go out of date...
    100hz tvs don't do it for me....looks far too artifical.

PS you'll notice haven't rated sound quality...i dont' need to with a separate hifi but again the 28pl1 is fine nicam....no pretend pseudo surround sound ****e.

6. PaoloC

PaoloC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've gone for the JVC AV28X25, it is getting delivered on the 23/01, so I will let you know what it is like.
    If I'm not pleased with it, I'll probably end up changing it, I got it from John Lewis, so it should be a problem.
    Thanks for all your suggestions, hopefully I've made a good choice...:D

7. saguk

saguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    paolo - how much was the 28X25 from John Lewis? Which store?

8. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saguk

I saw it in JL Oxford Street last weekend, I think it was £695, but would expect you could get price match on that, though I can't find one at the moment. If you do find one can you post it on here so I can get it as well :D

just found somewhere ....
    (h**p://www.shopathills.co.uk/acatalog/Home_page_JVC_AV28X25EKGY_52.html) though no idea what this place is or whether JL would price match it.

9. PaoloC

PaoloC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am getting them to price match with RGBDIRECT.
    http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1175
    They have a showroom in Ilford, so JL will price match against them. I should be finding out in 5-10 days if they will price match, but the bloke said he couldn't see any reason why they wouldn't.
    So hopefully I'll get the T.V. for £520 and 5 years guarantee :D
    Forgot to mention, this was at the Brent Cross store, they were selling it for £645 (price matching Dixons).

10. saguk

saguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The nearest John Lewis is 50+miles away, would they deliver to me?

11. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saguk, as far as I know JL have a free delivery limit of 50 miles, so they probably would deliver but you'd have to pay something.

House of Fraser are currently giving free 5 year warranties on any TV of 28" or bigger (well, the Oxford St one is, so i assume they all are). I think they do price match as well, you may get a deal from them instead of JL if they're any nearer to you. dunno what they're delivery charges are like, give them a call.

good luck, neil

12. PaoloC

PaoloC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just checked the John Lewis website and according to that JL delivers all over the U.K.

"Do we deliver to your address?

We deliver to all postal areas in the UK, including England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Channel Islands. We do not deliver to the Republic of Ireland or export goods outside the UK. Our department stores, however, do offer this service. Please contact the Export department at the John Lewis branch of your choice, or email the Export department at John Lewis Oxford St at Export_Oxford_Street@johnlewis.co.uk. "

13. Stiesto

Stiesto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does this JVC set suffer from their dark RGB fad?

Let me know, cheers

14. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Paolo C

Have u had this TV delievered yet? First thoughts?