28" TV required - is ebay a good source?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Westender, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Westender

Westender

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Looking for a 28" Widescreen tv to replace a 14 year old 21" Sony. Don't want to spend more than £500 quid. Was browsing through eBay and there do seem some good deals to be had. Many of the sellers had near 100% ratings and offered warranties. Anyone on here bought a tv from eBay?

2. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    If your buying from any company, you have the usual consumer protection whereas if you buy from an individual, you have far less protection. I have also noticed that a number of TVs sold are refurbished units. There is nothing wrong with this but bare in mind that these units would normally be cheaper than 'new' stock.

Another thing to think about is who will fix your TV if it develops a fault, do you have to return it in order to get it checked.

3. Stick-ba

Stick-ba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I would try Tesco possibly for 28" widescreen tv's they retail for less than £200.
    Hope this helps. :beer:

4. Westender

Westender

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    after I read some good reviews on another forum. Couldn't get a decent picture so sent it back after a week. Think I'll avoid the cheapest supermarket TVs. That's why I was asking about eBay. Some good deals to be had - suppose it's just a game of chance whether you end up with a decent buy.

5. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +668
    That's true when you buy from a store too. Just because a demo set seems good, the one you end up with could be a pile of arse!

/jaded cynic (who's had 4 faulty TVs since June)

6. gremalkin

gremalkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Philips 32PW9536 came from an Ebay Trader. What was described as 'Graded, Mint Stock' turned out to be a set with several thousand hours of use on it. It was a second-hand set with a 12 month guarantee. I would avoid and go somewhere like JL where you will get decent (local) service when things go wrong. In short, the sets I saw are just not cheap enough bearing in mind what you are getting.

7. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given the choice of decent 28" TVs from retailers (or e-tailers) I wouldn't take the risk. I'd look on pricerunner first, you can save a lot money that way too.