1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

28" or 32" CRT with 480p

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Bombdogs, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Bombdogs

Bombdogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all,

Well after my debacle with the samsung slimfit, i've decided to go through the hassle of trying to return it. The geometry probs are just too awful. I'm now looking for a replacement & decided that I'll leave true HD for a while.

I need a few suggestions please, as it looks like I may be locked into getting the replacement from the original suppliers of the slimfit. £500ish is my budget. All I want is a good picture with no wobbly lines & a 480p input.

Please help a distressed man!!

Many thanks,

PMF

2. TankTopLover

TankTopLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    I have the 32ZP48 Toshiba and it has 480p component and is exellent.PQ for both sky/dvd/xbox is very good and you can get it for around £500 or maybe even less now due to the hard hitters on the market.

If you want a larger screen the 36" is equally impressive and features a geometry service menu so if you do have any wobbly problems,it can be fixed.My 32" has a little geometry problem at the edge of the screen but is hardly noticable,its not noticable in 16:9 at all.

The sound is exellent aswell considering the 4 outer speakers look cheap and plasticy on first glance,but give out a deep and crisp sound with good depth.
    Oh and the stand is awesome :hiya:

3. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Your not alone with the Samsung and it's problems. It recently had a review in some certain mag and got a BIG thumbs down due to it's geometry problems and apparently to compensate for it's reduced rear it uses larger pixels at it's edges!

4. wooky42

wooky42
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Having pretty much settled on this set after viewing LCDs and deciding maybe they weren't for me yet, the best price I can find is around £625 delivered, have you a link for anything lower?

Regards

Wooky

5. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    www.mkatv.com

£549 + £60 delivery! Make sure it's brand spanking new tho' as they sell factory refurbs too.

6. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I too can recommend the Tosh 32zp48.
    PQ from my Pioneer 575 in prog scan is great, sound is more than good enough (DD and PRO-LOGIC), even tho' I rarely use the on-board speakers due to a full compliment of AV reciever, seven speakers, plus two sub's :eek: .

I too have a slight problem with geometry, but TBH it's very slight so I can't grumble at it, heck the PQ makes up for it anyways, (plus it's gotta be better than the Sammy after what I read in "THAT" review IMHO).
    All digitally "filmed" fodder (Incredibles, Toy story, Shrek etc etc) on DVD looks absolutely A+++ but remember to set the picture (colour, contrast etc) from the factory settings as these are WAAAAY OTT, (100% contrast for a start :confused: ).
    Also it has three scart sockets :- (two rgb, one switchable for composite/s-vid), component sockets (PAL & NTSC prog-scan enabled), and as a last resort, composite under the front mounted flap, so connectivity is up to scratch for the majority of users.
    All in all, I am very pleased with it although initially, when it was delivered I thought it was a 28" screen as it considerably narrower that the Philips 32" I had previously, so it is ideal for those who are short on space (width ways), it still has a bloody great big arse sticking out the back tho'.. :D ..

TTFN,

Graham.

7. wooky42

wooky42
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the link, and thanks for the warning about refurbs.

Wooky42

8. wooky42

wooky42
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm on the brink . . . !!!

What's holding me back is the Samsung 28" or 32" LCDs. I saw the 28" in Comet and they were playing Shrek from a (bit hazy here) Panasonic DVD/Dolby system (£399), connected by component, switching the DVD in and out of component I couln't see a change however, and it was the most stunning picture I have ever seen, I just can't believe a CRT can approach that.

They also were playing a hi def feed through a 32" Samsung LCD and when the Football section came on it was shocking, unwatchable, juddering and blurry.

In the display area of Currys they had video feeds going into some LCDs and true to what I've read here, the LCDs were not flattered by it, while the CRTs make the most of it.

A guy in our village gave me a DVD of a villlage event to duplicate. I watched it on my Panny DVD recorder on a 14" CRT and it was fine. I then played it on my MCE machine through a 17" TFT and it was shocking, at that point you could see that it was mastered on a VHS.

I'm rambling but, the point is, because of the above I don't know which way to Jump, I use SKY, SKY+ an MCE and a modified xbox for XBMC. It's a fair amount of money and I want to jump the right way!

Wooky

9. Bombdogs

Bombdogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wooky im in exactly the same boat mate. I was hoping to get some high def future proofing in, but it just seems that it's not worth it at this stage. If we we're buying in the middle of next year when SKYHD is bedded in then we'd have a lot better idea of what to get & prices would be cheaper too. Also we have no idea how much SKYHD is gonna cost.

At the moment, I'm all over the place. I need my football to be watchable & I'm just not convinced by LCD on that score. Plasmas are too expensive (for me at least). I also love my XBMC & wanted prog scan for that. But its £600 for a decent set with 480p, which is a lot of money really, when LCD's are just £200 more & have high def.

At the moment I'm thinking of just spending £200 on something to last me a year or two & then get a proper set, when it's all a lot clearer & there might be better sets on the market.

I'm still a little tempted by the Tosh tho, arrrrgggghhh!!!!! :suicide:

PMF

10. wooky42

wooky42
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or you could say you're getting a top of the range(ish) CRT for £549 plus del, or a bottom of the range 32" LCD for £250 more! I reckon you've got to pay well over a grand for a decent 32" LCD with better processing power inside it.

But it's a worry as prices tumble and specs raise . . .

Wooky

11. wooky42

wooky42
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, enough dilly dallying, I ordered one from those guys, arrives Saturday on a pallet!

Wooky

12. yipyipboo

yipyipboo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Typical, i paid £575 in August although as i live in the same town didn't have to pay delivery. Aside from a minor geometry problem i am impressed with this TV. :smashin: