1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

28 inch widescreen TV's: 100hz or 50hz?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Piglet, Jun 29, 2001.

1. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    taking into account everything exept cost which is best to have on a 28 inch set? i just exchanged my 28pk25 for a cheaper 28pk3. same tv but the one i now have is 50hz. it dosnt suffer from any problems but i just hope i made the right choice, as now i look for it i can see lines are more jegged, less stable, and the picture when in widescreen veiw or zoomed makes the horizontal picture lines much more obvious.

pitty i ended up paying £850 for a pk3, due to a hefty service charge :(

2. snubnose33

snubnose33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Piglet-thanks for Posting this, i am currently having somewhat of a Dilemma.

I am returning my Panasonic Tx28pg45 which is faulty [it outputs NTSC images with a curving on either side of the screen]
    So here's what i will be doing , i am looking to purchase either a Tx32pk25 or a Tx32Pk3 im may even go for the 28 inch equivalents i'm not sure yet.
    I am not really bothered about the picture quality on terestrial television as i rarely watch it.
    My main concern is for the 50hz tele is how it handles DVD through RGB.
    Piglet do you have a dvd player?
    if so could you comment on the picture via RGB?
    My 100hz tele was superb via RGB but with regards to 50hz i dont know.
    Also some programs showed up noticeable artefacts on the 100hz tele.
    I noticed you said that you paid £850 for it?
    F**King hell thats a lot of money isnt it?
    especially when empire direct have it listed for £585.

Also last question could you tell me how your tele handles NTSC sourced images -ie a region 1 dvd?
    MY last tele caused a horrendous concave shaping at either end of the screen,so i dont want the Pk3 to do this.
    i'd appreciate it if you or any others could get back to me on this.
    Thanks in advance

[ 29-06-2001: Message edited by: snubnose33 ]

3. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i only paid £850 for a pk3 becasue i paid like £750 for the pk25 originally but as i kept it for 3 weeks it had to be sold second hand wen i took it back to the shop, so i had to pay a biiig service charge. ironically i actually prefer the pk3 a lot more. yes, i have seen both and pk3 is clearer, sharper, no 100hz problems like smearing, and is clearer in motion in rgb dvd's. the pk25 does look better slightly with still images but to be honest that is it. im so angry that my retailer didnt make me aware of the problems with 100hz. its upto you, the only thing i dislike is lines are slightly more jagged and active, but overall i prefer it AND its cheaper lol if u buy it first time.

4. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    another thing to mention is with 28" size, you dont really need 100hz do you? its only when you go to 32 and above that flicker really starts to become obvious. thats why when i contacted home entertainment magazine they said almost all the best 28" sets they reveiwed were 50hz. i seriously reccomend the pk3. i was blown away when i tried a dreamcast on it with RGB scart. the colours seemed to jump out at me. whereas wen i tried it on the more expensive pk25 although it looked 'good' didnt have the same level of clarity and sharpness. like it was a bit watery and ergh side scrolling in games and on dvd's produced very noticable shimmering of surfaces, and a lot of jerk around movements(smearing). when i got the new pk3 i could barely see the flicker unless it was on bright pictures. depends wether you value non flicker over all the other advantages of the pks and of course, the much lower price to boot.

5. snubnose33

snubnose33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies Piglet,
    i was originally inteding to go for a 32 inch Pk3 but you say that the problems become noticeable oon 32 inc tele's ?
    Would the picture quality suffer more if i purchased a 32inch tele?
    please bare in mind i will be primarily using the tele for dvds.
    Thanks

ALso you didnt tell m eif you had a multi region dvd player ?
    If so when you watched a Region 1 dvd did you incur any gemotry problems?
    such as the screen having concaved shaped bars on either side?
    Please let me know how ya Tele handled NTSC disks.
    Thanks

6. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you decide to get the more expensive 32" model then yes, u will need 100hz processing ideally as flicker gets more notacible the bigger screen you have. all im saying is that if you want a 28" then 50hz is by far the best as its free from all the 100hz problems AND you barely notice any flicker, for a cheaper price. any region dvd should work with no geometry problems. mind you, i know nothing about televisions really, but i HAVE recently had all that experience with the 2 panasonic televisions that i bought. so im a good one to ask about that. try searching for '100hz problems' in the forum, and a massive list of topics will come up. a lot of people dispise 100hz processing.

my tv dosnt have any black border problems with concaves and stuff but if yours does when you buy it it might just be that your set is slightly off in its measurements, so it will need to be sent into the service centre to correct it. i had to as i didnt like the convex bar at the top and bottom. dvd's shouldnt be any different from 16:9 tv broadcasts. remember, its very hard for the manufacturers to make the geometry perfect. usually the bars are slightly off. on a 32" set this problem will be worse.

u asked about wether other problems would be more evident on a 32" set? well yes any 100hz smearing problems would be even harder on the eye. the bigger you go the worse the picture gets. thats why 14" tv's have the best pictures! personally i love the 28" size, as its not too big and not to small and u can get away with 50hz.

anyway, go into a shop and ask to see them both side by side. (pk3 pk25)

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I'd personally say 32" is fine for a 50Hz set anway. I have a TX32PK1 ( equivalent PK3) and deliberately avoided 100Hz . Its a cracking set.

Also bear in mind that if you are a dvd nut and view a lot of 525/60 region1 material ( like myself ) there is even less percievable flicker compared with 625/50 material.

8. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah thanks MR D for backing me up. 100hz really isnt that great. at all, and i dont think it will be perfected to appear better than 50hz for another 2 or 3 years.

ah the pk3 is so vibrant and pin sharp. i now tried a dvd on it snubnose, and its a LOT better than the pk25. sure, its not rock solid in its flicker, but u wont notice it at all. but every thing else is vastly improved. u get no lag, smearing, dot crawl, shimmering of flesh tones, low detail, digital fakeness to the picture. if you are watching a dark film like fight club then...oh my God, it looks stunning. but likei said viw both before buying. (i wish i had)

9. PJONG

PJONG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Piglet

This all sounds encouraging as I am going for the Panasonic 32pk3 or 32pk1. Question for you...what's the difference between the pk1 and 3 as I gather they are both 50hz so why the distinction? (I know that the pk2 is just the pro-logic version of the pk1). The only difference I can find is on the Panny website where they refer to tube types 'super shadow mask' (pk3) and 'DQ-DAF' (pk1)???

And if there is a difference do you think it would affect performance?

Thanks

Phil

10. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well... i didnt think there was a 32" version of the pk3. oh well maybe there is. yes, the pk2 is a dolby version of the pk1. not really worth it. the pk3 is considerably better than the pk2 in terms of picture. nah im SURE there isnt a 32pk3. the 32pk1 is exactly the same tv as the 28pk3, but in a larger size. so its still got the gorgeous picture but in 32" instead of 28". just depends on what size u want. but 50hz flicker will be less noticable at 28" and the image will suffer from less scale problems. but both are superb.

ok?

11. snubnose33

snubnose33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Piglet i assure you there is a 32Pk3
    see

here

12. Neil Watson

Neil Watson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Last month, one of the AV mags (I won't name it since I can't remember if it was HCC) has a review of the new and ranges coming out from philips, toshiba and panasonic. There is a table of all the Panny range if anyone wants to know the diffences.
    Regards
    Njay

13. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah ok snubnose. well then its just the same as the 28pk3 but in a larger size. yeah its a great tv. go for it. but couldnt you just buy the 282 version for sooooo much cheaper from that site?! like u said its like £600 or something.

14. PJONG

PJONG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For anyone interested,

John Lewis are price matching Empiredirect, 32PK3 at £799.95 plus delivery. I'm afraid 28" is just not big enough for my living room.

15. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can i just ask....would any of you consider the 100hz versions? and if not. WHY? i hope i made the right choice in a pk3 rather than the 100hz equivelent. how long will it be till 100hz tv's are free from the problems and will be definatly worth buying at a 28" size????

16. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well I have a 50Hz 32" TV

100Hz is irritating, my parents have a 100Hz TV and it mucks the picture up.

Also I reckon IDTVs are now an essential purchase - mainly for 16x9 broadcasts.

17. Powerhead

Powerhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got to agree, 100hz is pants.
    flicker? what flicker...

18. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whats ID tv?

19. Piglet

Piglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok i worked out it means IMPROVED DEFINITION TV. but whats that gotta do with getting 50hz or 100hz? is my pk3 a IDTV? i dont think 100hz definition is very good at all. its so watery and smudged, plus obviously horrizontal movement is horrible to watch. a real strain on the eyes.

20. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    IDTV is

Integrated
    Digital
    TV

It is a TV with a built in DVB-T tuner so you can watch BBC1 in anamorphic widescreen, or get a CAM and watch pay TV from Ondigital.

Basically you get a better picture from a Sony IDTV than an Ondigital or Sky box on a normal TV

Well worth the extra £150 or so

DTV box, to buy £250 and the rest, built in is best.

Look at the Sony KV28DX30 my 65 year old M.I.L. has got one, so she could watch the soaps on ITV2.

I prefer the styling (and screen size) of my KV32DX20U

I think Sony should give me commision, my M.I.L., my parents, a few people on this NG and on uk.media.home-cinema, and also uk.tech.digital-tv

Also remember that your licence fee pays for BBC Choice, News 24 and Knowleage, as well as 16x9 broadcasting so get value for money.

Funnily I hate built in TV surround sound, but every source needs a tuner.