28-inch TV with a built-in Freeview HD tuner

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by bigbex, Jul 31, 2012.

1. bigbex

bigbex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi All

Does anyone know of a decent 28-inch TV with a built-in Freeview HD tuner? I’m not looking fora supermarket own brand as I’ve not been impressed with the ones I’ve seen so far.

Thanks

2. lbear

lbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    Rare beastie. There are NO 28inch sets at all listed on the Dixons web site. The closest are a couple of 27inch LED televisions. Most LCD makers use either 26inch or 32inch panels.

If you are relating the size of the screen to older CRT sets, remember that the diagonal was effectively 26 inches because of the masking round the tube. On the other hand, the narrow bezels round the panels mean that a 32inch set is about the same physical height and length as a 28 inch tubed set - but obviously a very great deal less deep.

However far more important is selecting the right size screen for your normal viewing distance. This is partly why so few small screen (now defined as 32in and below!) have HD tuners. The optimum viewing distance for a 1080p (full HD) set is usually recommended as either 2.5 or 1.6 times the screen diagonal. This is the range from what we might call "everyday" viewing to "home cinema". Viewing true HDTV from more than about 3x-4x the diagonal gets into the realms where you have to take eyeball resolution into account! See Optimum HDTV viewing distance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A few calculations will show you why for the average size living room in the UK, a 32in screen has become the de facto minimum as a compromise between size, cost and viewing experience. It's also the size which most manufacturers use as a minimum for installing a HD tuner.

3. bigbex

bigbex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the response.

I want the 28-inch set for my bedroom (I have a 40-inch set downstairs). A 32-inch would be too big and a 26-inch, whilst I could look at one, might be on the small side and is even less likely to have an HD tuner.

The difference between HD and SD is very noticable (on a good set) and, whilst I take your point about the smaller sets for HD viewing, I still think that you'd be able to notice a difference on a decent 27-28-inch set.

Looks like I'm out of luck!

4. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    If you are prepared to come down a size I can vouch for this 24" Panasonic from Richer Sounds. I have had one for some time as a bedroom Tv and it performs superbly. It is an LCD not a LCD/LED, but I think that is all the better in its favouras it sounds a lot better than many LCD/LED sets. Has an HD tuner.

Panasonic TXL24C5B | 24 inch LCD TV HD Ready Freeview HD | Richer Sounds

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  5. bigbex

bigbex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Mike, I'll take a look although I was looking for something slightly bigger.

So if a major manufacturer like Panasonic can make a 24 inch set with Freeview HD the why aren't there more 26-28 inch sets? Baffling!!!

6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,184
    Limited demand. When the DVB-T2 chips become cheap as chips :D, no doubt you will find it hard to find a TV without a Freeview-HD tuner. Only a short while ago commercial DVB-T2 tuners didn't exist.