1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

28 inch on £450 budget

Discussion in 'TVs' started by superdon, Dec 31, 2003.

1. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hi,

New to these forums, and got some really good info so far - thanks!

We have around £450 to spend on a new 28 inch TV. It will be used with a surround sound amp (yet to be purchased), and Toshiba SD220E DVD player.

We have seen the Panasonic TX-28PS12 (http://www.digitaldirectuk.com/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=981) for £440. This looks like a great TV for a good price.

Any comments or other recommendations?

2. flynnmeister

flynnmeister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    If you're not fussed about the 100hz you could take the tx28ps1 for £360 from the same place - or price match it a Allders with the comet price of £379.99 and get a 5yr warranty too....(see the other thread)

Ben

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Cannot fit a 32 inch into the room! Any other ones we should look at?

Isnt the extra £50 or so worth it for the 100 hz model?

5. s-p

s-p
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm in the market for a similar tele superdon.

Currently looking at the following:
    Panasonic TX-28PS1 - £379.79 (Comet)
    Panasonic TX-28PS5 - £458 (Robertsons Online)
    Sony KV-28CL10 - £399 (Sony Centre)
    Sony KV-28FX68 - £449 (Currys - Can't find anyone with stock as they've discontinued it)

I would definately take the Sony FX68 for £450 if I could find a Currys that stock it, but I've had no luck in that regard. £537 from Comet is about the best next price from a highstreet outlet. As I'm looking at price matching with JL, Allders etc..., I'm having to go on prices from high street stores. Was looking to spend a max of £500 really which kinda puts the fx68 out of my range. In regards to value, as I don't currently own a 5.1 set up, the TX-28PS5 seems to be excellent value. The sound doesn't need to be really powerful as I'm restricted by the size of my bedroom.

Unfortunately I'm a Sony fan boy (Dad got me hooked) and I'm afraid to use anything else really. I've always used Sony in the pass and they've never let me down. They have a certain style that has always appealed to me. Saying that, I've never had a widescreen tele before (use 14" in bedroom at the moment).

If there's anything else that I should be looking at, or trying to avoid, I'd like to hear about it.

6. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
  7. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Are you saying that the TX28DT4C is a good deal or a good TV?

8. supersonic87

supersonic87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Its both, and before you decide on a set have a look at pricerunner as they'll search many shops, and often save you quite a bit of money.

Rich

9. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Is there a model available that has similar features to the TX-28PS12, but without the 100hz?

The main requirements I have got so far are at least 2 scarts (1 RGB), composite video inputs. I would also possibly look at integrated freeview, as although we cannot pick up digital where we are now, this TV is for our new house that may be able to pick up digital.

10. supersonic87

supersonic87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Try and get the postcode (if you don't already know it) and search on the the dtg site . Intergrated freeview gives better picture, but can become outdated very quickly (although sony sets are still being supported 2 years after release).

The PS12 doesn't have an equivalant set but for your needs a panasonic PS1 will do, or a JVC T25 (recommend the T25 as it has a fantastic picture for the price)

Rich

11. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Mmm, not sure what you mean about the integrated freeview becoming outdated?!? So if you buy a set with built in freeview, it will be unsupported quickly by the manufacturer? In that case, is an external freeview box a better option?

12. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you do purchase an integrated freeview television do they have a digital output cable for connection to a amp or just regular analog outputs?

James

13. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Superdon - you shouldn't worry so much about finding 100hz functionality on a 28" television. The screen size is so small that you aren't going to see the 50hz flicker anyway, and infact on a 28" screen 100hz is likely to degrade the quality of the images you see - there'll be more problems than benefits.

As has been suggested, the Panasonic TX28PS1 and JVC AV28T25 sets are amongst the best you'll find given your budget. You might like to go about £20 over budget and buy Toshiba's 28ZD26 - which has 100hz, Progressive Scan and several other features (aswell as Component Video inputs) that will provide the best possible solution for your budget.

14. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Thanks. I think I am starting to slowly narrow down the choice now. I think I have ruled out 100hz after speaking to a number of friends and reading advice here. I do still really like the Panasonic sets though.

I wanted component video inputs as I had heard this gave the best picture quality. But, if I used a good quality RGB scart lead, would the difference be noticeable? I say this because the Panasonics I am looking at do not have component video inputs.

Also, I cannot decide if its a good idea to get an IDTV set or a standard set and then add an external digital box later?!?

Anyone care to help before I try and place my order later today?

15. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panasonic Sets are certainately 'descent' televisions. But they're devoid of flexibility.

There's only One RGB scart input - if you're using several high quality sources (DVD Player, Freeview Box, Console etc) that have RGB outputs then this can cause a lot of problems.

The Toshiba has component video inputs which you can connect to your DVD player for better-than-scart quality (an improvement which you can see), and still leaves an RGB Scart input free for your freeview box. The Component Inputs on the toshiba also support Progressive Scan, which you really will notice the improvement with.

Put it this way - were I you I'd buy the toshiba without question, then add a freeview box at a later date.

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    TX28DT4 is superb IDTV with prices now under £450 on high street so worth a look!

17. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    agh, this is starting to get tough making a decison!

18. s-p

s-p
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This is a television I'm particulary interested in, but am having a hard time trying to find somewhere I can take a real close look at it. At £480 from PRC Direct it seems an excellent set for the money. However I would have liked the benefits of a 5 year guarentee from the likes of John Lewis, Allders etc... but they seem to have stopped selling Toshibas.

Is there any place that sells toshiba sets with decent guarentees and have the ability to price match? My dad has dealt with PRC before and they didn't exactly provide the best of support during that period.

19. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Well, I just spent an hour in a shop with the PS1 and PS12 next to each other. Watched a range of analogue, Sky Digital, DVDs and a range of programme types.

The outcome is, I think I will be ordering the PS12 with the 100hz. To me the picture quality was definately better and the 3 scart inputs, and a few other little toys have finally persuaded me. At £450 delivered from digital direct, I think its a good deal.

Well, now the TV decision is made (well almost :) ), now on to the amp and speakers on which I have maybe £400 to spend.....

20. s-p

s-p
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Glad you've made a decision. :clap: Wish I was that decisive. :(

21. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Damn, had a look at the Toshiba 28ZD26 today and now I am undecided again???!??

I actually had the luck to find a Currys with both the Panasonic PS12 and the Toshiba next to each other. I compared them both and could not find a great deal between them. I can also get both of these on the net for around £450 - £470, so theres no difference price wise!

One thing though, I think the Panasonic beats the Tosh asthetically. The Tosh appears to be more bulky.

What do I do now? I am starting to go a little mad here!

22. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a Tosh 28ZD26 and a Panasonic TX28PS12 and the Pansonic has the better pic for me using a composite feed for sky (its upstairs) and an RGB feed from the DVD player. Also the set looks better and has 2 RGB scarts where as the Tosh has just one, thing the Tosh has going for it is the component input for NTSC DVD's but I didnt test this.

The Panasonics cabinet is also better made.

My Panasonic does have a fault though (white line down centre of screen on bright scenes) which it is being replaced becasue of, but I am having it replaced by the same model which I didnt want to do when I sent the Tosh back which should hopefully tell you something :)

Regards

Robert.

23. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    so the Panasonic PS12 you would say?

My missus prefers the Panasonic because of 1) the looks and 2) the fact that you can split screen text/programmes!

Might just place my order and put myself out of the misery!

24. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From personal experience I would say yes, but please choose yourself, if you get a Panasonic and it turns out to be not what you want dont blame me, but my findings are:-

Panasonic Pro's

Better Picture on all inputs with usable 100Hz mode (ie you just turn it on and forget about it) (bar a vertical line that looks like a stain but only on bright white scene's but the engineer has said this is a fault so it is being replaced)

Better sound quality
    Better Build quality
    Better looking
    Cheaper Price
    Normal ish buzzing noise (The Toshiba has a buzz that I found to be in your face)

Toshiba Pro's

Component Input (but only if you have a dvd player that does component out and then again it will only accept NTSC component)
    Set is 2.5 cm shallower than the Panasonic.

Regards

Robert.

25. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Thanks, your experience is very helpful.

26. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thing is though people have good and bad experience from both sets. To me it came down to one thing. I preffere Panasonic stuff.

I have another 28 inch Panasonic flatscreen, a Panasonic DVD player a Panasonic car CD player , 2 Panasonic Video recorders a Panasonic Phone and even a Panasonic VAC, and I have allways felt that they were all quality items. EG, When we moved house about 3 years ago I droped the Panasonic TX28PK1 from about 2 foot in the air, after that I went outside and sat and had a smoke dreading going back in to find a knackered TV, no it wasnt to happen the tv was none the worse for it not a crack or fault in site.

Why did I buy the Tosh then you may ask, 1. A good review I read, 2. Really good on paper at the Tosh site. 3. Component inputs. 4. Rubbish description of what the Pansonic actually does on the Panasonic web site.

Don`t get me wrong though without the buzz and the problems with the picture on rhe Tosh that I had it was a nice set, the thing that stopped me exchanging it though was the fact that the set arrived in a completely unmarked unopened box but when the box was opened and I got the set out I noticed that the plastic at the left hand side of the screen had come away and that it had only been held in place by 2 of them double sided sticky foam pads which to me led me to the quality I feel I am getting when I buy Panasonic stuff.

Please please don't get the Panasonic just from what I have said though, get one because you want that model and because you have seen one and liked it, there are many happy ZD26 owners out there.

Regards

Robert.

27. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Robert,

Hos is the PS12 with sport (specifically footy)?

28. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't watch any at all but if I get chance I will try and find a game somtime and have a look.

29. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    that would be great