1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

28 Inch best buy

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by MN8, May 2, 2004.

1. MN8

MN8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I am looking to buy a new TV on a budget of upto £600 and would welcome any advice. I've been looking at the Phillips 28PW9308 and the Sony kv28fx68 but cant find any reviews on the 28 inch version for either and also the sony KD 28DL10 - should I be put off that the Sony is only 50hz?

Any other suggestions would be welcome

Thanks in advance.

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    No - you should be encouraged 100Hz can be nasty

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    As you mentioned look at the Sony 50Hz IDTVs.

Mine is old but still looks good

4. Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First decide whether you want 50 or 100Hz.

Then decide if you want IDTV or not.

5. MN8

MN8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,

IDTV would be a good bonus but I cant decide on the 50/100hz because I dont really know enough about it. I have a seperate Sony surround system so thats not important so I just want to get the best quality 28inch picture for my money.

The sony review at WhatVideo gives the picture a 5/5 but then says "the colours arent as gloriously vibrant as Sonys 100Hz tv's but this is to be expected" does this mean I should be going for a 100Hz? if so how does the 50 get a 5/5.

The Phillips 32pw9308 gets a great review but I dont know if the 28" has the same quality because theres no review - same for the kv28fx68.

are there any other decent review websites other than whatvideo?

6. m00dy

m00dy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi m8

you really need to get a demo of a 100hz tv, its not for everyone.
    they can suffer from smearing and blur, loss of detail. imo this happens more on a weak signal where the processing compensates from the loss in signal quality.
    also side moving objects dont move smoothly, they judder slightly and blur, this does my eyes in but other people live with it.
    having said that, when used with a dvd player the picture can look sharper and crisp better than 50hz.
    i bought the sony kd-32dx200 and really couldnt get on with 100hz so i took it back and will be looking at a 28" 50hz.

cheers

7. MartinG

MartinG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got the the Sony 28FX68 and wished I just bought a 50hzt set. The pic is not even great with a DVD so will be sending it back asap.

8. dmr

dmr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the 32" FX68 a few weeks ago and I am not overly impressed with it.

Non-moving pictures are okay (I wouldn't go any further than 'okay'), but any sideways moving pictures (such as football or house-design programmes where the camera pans around a room) cause blurring and what appears to be a slightly misty film over the screen.

For the money, I think it is very disappointing, but I understand these problems happen across the board with 100hz to a greater or lesser extent. I'm trying to get mine changed for a 50hz set, even if it means not getting a refund for the difference from the e.tailer concerned.

9. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Can be switch to 50Hz

IDTV - better range of IDTVs now - plus the picture quality issue.

Do Sony make a non IDTV 50Hz TV now?

10. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Well my Thomson 100hz is generally a very nice set with an excellent picture overall and smooth animation and I've not noticed any artifacts so far. However it does annoy me that RGB output is not as pin sharp and vibrant as my last set which was a pretty rubbishy sharp model. The Thomson picture is rock solid and you could watch it all day right up close without causing yourself a headache. The picture via tuner, composite and s-video is better than similar 50hz Thomsons by some margin but 50hz sets generally show my set a clean pair of heals when its comes to RGB.

11. finlab

finlab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have just bought the 28dl10. I am very happy with the picture.
    What prices are you seeing it at? (I bought on barclaycard so can claim back. I got it for £420 del)

12. Jez

Jez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    finlab does the Sony KD-28DL10 have RGB what hz is it?

13. Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would recommend the Sony DL10 (50HZ), it has good picture quality, IDTV and a nice price. However you will have to put up with the fact it looks like a rhino's arse. :) (IMO)

50Hz will flicker but gives you the least problems.

100Hz does not flicker, gives you rich colours but will add judder motion to fast sideways panning shots. :(

14. finlab

finlab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  15. MN8

MN8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well after a lot of deliberation I went for the Toshiba 28zd26 and it arrived yesterday........ Awesome, Awesome, Awesome. The picture is absolutely perfect particularly through the component video connection from the DVD (Toshiba 220e) is breathtaking.

There are no probs when in 100Hz mode that I have seen when auditioning other 100Hz and no sign of any humming that I have seen reported.

This Tv is an absolute pleasure to watch and I genuinely believe it is a better picture than pixel plus because it holds the vibrancy and sharpness without any of the probs. Having the option of switching to 50Hz is a bonus but I havent needed to use it.

Considering upgrading my DVD to a progressive scan one (Any Recommendations?) but I really dont know how such high quality can be improved.

I am a Very happy man.

MN8