1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

28-32 inch HD LCD, which is the best??? Help!!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by churchwa, Aug 2, 2005.

1. churchwa

churchwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi guys,

I am new to the world of LCD tv's, mainly because every one i have seen has been really bad. They seem to get loads of ghosting and blurring when there is movement. Also they have a bad viewing angle.

I have the panny PV500 plasma and an old Pio and love then both to bits, but they are too big for one of the rooms, so i really need a 28-32inch flat panel tv.

Can someone please first reassure me LCD has come a long way in the last year or so, and also tell me the best, money no object LCD TV.

Many thanks in advance.

2. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Ask a question like that and you're tempting 100 different responses - best is a very subjective and personal term.
    If aesthetics are important, then you could look at the Loewe and B&O LCD TVs, seeing as the price isn't an issue.

If you want to remain in the land of the normal, although Loewe aren't too bad in that respect, then there's a lot to be said for the JVC DS6, Panny X500, Sharp GD1 (GA and GD range to be replaced this month), and Sony (again, new models this month) ones. Others have spent less again and got themselves Sagem, Samsung, Hitachi, LG, and are highly enthused about them in the threads with those brands as part of their topic - have a read and see.

Speaking of new models - Loewe have a new 26" & 32" coming in mid-late Sept - called the Individual. Specs look very appealing.

What is your set-up - Sky/NTL/TW digital? Freeview? DVD/games console?

3. churchwa

churchwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for your comments.

You are right, i should have been more specific regarding price and so forth. I figured i did not want to spend much over £2500 for the screen, but the over riding factor for me is form. (I am happy to spend £1500 though ;))

Although i like the Panasonic, i find it's casing very big and can tend to dominate the room (just like their plasma's), where as the Sony screen has much less visual presence, which is a good thing. (I likes its thin frame)

As far a setup goes, it would have Sky+ plugged into it, which will be upgraded to HD when avalible.

Once again, many thanks for your help.

4. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    £2.5K buys you the Xelos 37" from Loewe.
    £1.5K buys you the outgoing Sharp 37" GA5 - GA6 this month sometime.
    Both use Sharp panels - well, the Sharp one ought to!! The Loewe brand is 30% owned by Sharp now.
    JVC 37DS6 for £1700, similar for Panny X500.

So, as you can see, 32" versions of the same should be well under your £1500 budget.

You may also consider opting for the likes of a Samsung 850/950 DVD player which will scale the output to 720p/1080i, which whilst not true HD, will give DVDs a little extra compared to standard 480/576p, if your current DVD player does progressive.

5. churchwa

churchwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I am judging by your comments that all the LCD's tend to have the same quality?

I can definatly wait a month for new screens, are there good reports about the new Sony and Sharp?

6. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    No, ust pointing out the different players and their prices. Some will have a better PQ than others due to the panel used and the electronics driving the panel - the latter can have as much an effecr on performance as the panel itself, so don't worry unduly about which has the fastest pixel response. Same for contrast ratio - there's tricks the manufacturer can pull to quote the figures they do. When a standardised test for CR is introduced, then you can take the figures at their word - but not as gospel. They could still use best measurement as the figure quoted, which means not all will measure up to that spec.

No idea on the Sharp's, but a lot of excitement brewing in the Sony thread.

7. asqman

asqman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Churchwa, like you I have pondered what to buy for several weeks and on repeated visits to TV shops was not at all impressed with the picture quality I saw on display. Lots of shops insist on playing DVDs which look very good, but that's not the "full picture" - so to speak.
    Also it seemed that there were many adverse comments on the quality of so many brands that making a decision was very difficult. I really did not mind paying more for a very good quality set but quite frankly I did not see anything that made that decision possible.
    We eventually settled on the Sagem 27 LCD HD and from initially being disappointed are now very pleased with the set. Thanks to forum member Peahead who told me to let it settle down - good man. You will see helpful posts and positive comments on the Sagem LCD 27 HD thread.
    I think you may have to accept that buying an LCD is - like so many things, a compromise - you probably will not find a set that answers all your needs and whilst you are prepared to spend a lot of money you may not get a proportionate improvement in terms of quality. From what I saw there are some ridicuosly priced LCDs out there. Do have a look at the Sagem.
    Good luck.

8. churchwa

churchwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I think i might wait for the new Sony's to come out. I think they have a good form factor and by all accounts should have decent pictuire quality.