28.2 in Europe (Austria)

Flyboy70

Novice Member
Hi. I have a Gibertini 125 with 3 feeds to a multiswitch. I have the following signal strengths....

13.0 - 85%
19.2 - 90%
28.2 - between 0 and 90% - depending on transponder.

Eg... "W" 11082/2200/56 has 90%, but Film4 has 0%.

Both are on 28.2 but I don't know which beam they are on.

My question is ... How can I improve the reception when I don't know where to position the dish ??

Thanks.

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
Hi. I have a Gibertini 125 with 3 feeds to a multiswitch. I have the following signal strengths....

13.0 - 85%
19.2 - 90%
28.2 - between 0 and 90% - depending on transponder.

Eg... "W" 11082/2200/56 has 90%, but Film4 has 0%.

Both are on 28.2 but I don't know which beam they are on.

My question is ... How can I improve the reception when I don't know where to position the dish ??

Thanks.
Local knowledge is usually best for this sort of fringe reception. You're after bleed over signals from the very tight astra 2 UK beams, such bleed over rarely follows predictable patterns, it can vary rapidly from area to area as can the stronger beams which then become a problem in themselves causing bleed over on the weaker channels you are after, even bleed over from 26e can even come into play &/or local noise/ interference where rural is usually better compared to towns & cities.
A quick look araound and it looks like west Austria can see the UK channels start to come in on as low as 1m-1.2m in good weather, 2.4m in the east as a starting point although reception reports can vary too as satellite installations can vary wildly on quality.
Where to aim/ align the dish usually comes from knowing a transponder that does well there, without that, focus on the weaker ones you can get. There's 2 positions btw- 28.2e and 28.5e.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Local knowledge is usually best for this sort of fringe reception. You're after bleed over signals from the very tight astra 2 UK beams, such bleed over rarely follows predictable patterns, it can vary rapidly from area to area as can the stronger beams which then become a problem in themselves causing bleed over on the weaker channels you are after, even bleed over from 26e can even come into play &/or local noise/ interference where rural is usually better compared to towns & cities.
A quick look araound and it looks like west Austria can see the UK channels start to come in on as low as 1m-1.2m in good weather, 2.4m in the east as a starting point although reception reports can vary too as satellite installations can vary wildly on quality.
Where to aim/ align the dish usually comes from knowing a transponder that does well there, without that, focus on the weaker ones you can get. There's 2 positions btw- 28.2e and 28.5e.
Impossible to seperate the actual orbital points unless you have a a dish the size of Jodrell Bank and also pointless you have to get them all for any reception.

They cannot all be at the exact location. They they all have to be constantly moved slightly to stop them banging into each other.

Choose a mid frequency UK spot beam Horizontally transponder. If you want to use a freesat box.

A Freesat box need the home transponder (horizontally polarised).

It would have to a very large motorised dish to seperate them.

Generic FTA - rely on local knowledge.

pedro2000uk

Distinguished Member
Impossible to seperate the actual orbital points unless you have a a dish the size of Jodrell Bank and also pointless you have to get them all for any reception.

They cannot all be at the exact location. They they all have to be constantly moved slightly to stop them banging into each other.

Choose a mid frequency UK spot beam Horizontally transponder. If you want to use a freesat box.

A Freesat box need the home transponder (horizontally polarised).

It would have to a very large motorised dish to seperate them.

Generic FTA - rely on local knowledge.
The two positions 28.2e & 28.5e for the Astra 2 satellites have always leant themselves to allowing fine tuning signal levels even in the UK (usually for dealing with overload ) but especially on the fringe where the difference is far more pronounced on those dish sizes between east & west Austria. 0.1 degrees on an 80cm let alone 0.3 degrees on the fringe can go from reception to no reception (when you are just dealing with reception ..eg 7w &7.3w UK reception) but when you are dealing with stronger signals (tps) bleed over of weaker tps, that could easily have you at hhmm 28.7e which is only .2 off 28.5e but a whole 1/2 a degree off 28.2e and 29.2e or more is not out of the question dealing with some issues.