28"/£300 suggestions?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by splatterhouse, Nov 3, 2005.

1. splatterhouse

splatterhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been after a decent 28" CRT for a while. I was almost ready to go for the Sony KV28HX15, then I found this JVC 100hz TV which is about £60 more but is 100hz.

Does anyone think that it is worth the extra? Also, from researching the Sony KV28HX15 on this forum, i've come across mixed reviews - some say it is the best 28" out there, others say it has picture tube problems/distortion?

I also just found this on amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009F0T6Q/ref=br_lf_ce_3/202-7727591-9214266

Great price, 3 scarts, fantastic reviews. Is it actually as good as it seems?

Also, if anyone can recommend any other models (my budget is £300 max), please let me know.

Many thanks.

2. Wingnut_72

Wingnut_72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I sent my Sony KV28HX15 back due to geometry problems and considered getting the Toshiba you're looking at now, you can also get the the stand for the Toshiba 28Z53 from Amazon (if you scroll down the page) for £20, Argos do it for £300 with the stand.

If you could go to £350 take a look at this JVC

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index.asp?modelcode=JVC-HV28P37S

Review of 32 version same features as 28
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/index.php?category=Televisions

3. Bombdogs

Bombdogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a tosh 28Z44 (same tube, just has speakers under the set) last week & can't fault it. Well actually the sound is a bit rubbish, but I'm hooked upto an amp so no bother for me. Picture quality great, geometry great - v. happy bunny here.

PMF

4. Bombdogs

Bombdogs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be very careful about the JVC sets, they have DIST picture processing, which can really chew up a poor source (SKY). If you watch a lot of football you won't enjoy what it does to the picture, trust me. View before you buy.

PMF

5. topdude

topdude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just been down the 28" widescreen route. Looked at everything i could find in the stores. In my opinion most sets looked like acres of cheap plastic surrounding a mediocre picture.
    Then i spotted the Toshiba 28Z47B, brilliant picture and geometry, narrow surround with speakers under the screen, reasonable stand, now have one sitting in my living room and i am very pleased with it. £299 in Comet but i got it pricematched in Currys for £295.

6. ismael-1986

ismael-1986

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    its a choice between sony n tosh, sony with their awsome trinitron tubes but id go for tosh any day ive always stuck with em and think they make gr8 tele's ;)

7. wolfie1

wolfie1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is it just me, or does anyone else find Toshiba product numbering confusing!

The product numbers are like passwords you use for internet banking!

e.g.28Z47B

Never mind, their CRT TVs seem to be well respected.

8. splatterhouse

splatterhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. Vallyboy

Vallyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a thought, but it does not say pure flat screen so likely not, if that makes any difference to you, as I see the Tosh is.

10. Petey

Petey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I have a philips 32PW9527 widescreen TV for sale in the classifieds. Well below the budget you specified, includes pixel plus which really ramps up the PQ on SD material.

11. splatterhouse

splatterhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I definitely want a pure flat screen, the spec on the jvc website states 'natural flat': http://www.jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=AV-28T5SK&catid=100058&lid=

12. splatterhouse

splatterhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds good but I live up north,

13. Vallyboy

Vallyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep seems if it is. When things are not mentioned in an add I assume the worst.

Seems a great set for the money. 3 scarts..now that shows class. :clap:

14. Petey

Petey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Fair enough, it would be quite a journey.

15. splatterhouse

splatterhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll just be using it with the basic UHF aerial signal, plus for watching DVDs and also my PC's TV-out via s-video. What does DIST do?

16. splatterhouse

splatterhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So i'm pretty much decided on the JVC - does anyone know what JVC's tubes are like? Are they as good as Sony's Trinitrons (as found on the KV28HX15 - the only other TV i'm considering).