27" Smart TV with VESA holes

Delta128

Hi.

I've looked around but I can't seem to find many 27" TVs any more. Are they no longer a thing? Keep finding monitors or Smart Monitors.

I'm looking for a Smart TV with fair number of inputs 2 or 3 HDMI. I'm guessing SCART / phono is defunct. Nice to have but otherwise I'll try some adapters. Wireless streaming would be nice. My one has it but doesn't work well with most devices. Bonus if it does recording but needs to have VESA mount holes on the back as I use a monitor arm. Basically use it as a second monitor when not watching TV. Any suggestions?

Supposed £200-£300. Doesn't have to be 4K (do 4K tellies even exist for 27"?) Thanks.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Don’t think they exist. You can get 28”
Not sure if it meets your HDMI specs as only 1 etc (can get splitters?). Does have vesa holes though
You may need a Firestick or similar for Full Smart.
HD ready not full HD

Delta128

Don’t think they exist. You can get 28”
Not sure if it meets your HDMI specs as only 1 etc (can get splitters?). Does have vesa holes though
You may need a Firestick or similar for Full Smart.
HD ready not full HD
Hi, thanks for the reply. Not quite. Seems a bit too basic. Not a Smart TV. I can up the budget if it's good. Is 28" the new 27"? I have noticed a few .

Delta128

Hi, thanks for the reply. Not quite. Seems a bit too basic. Not a Smart TV. I can up the budget if it's good. Is 28" the new 27"? I have noticed a few .
Yeah, I think they've died out for some reason. They used to exist. My current one is a 27" LG but it's developed a fault.... still works but I see a dark shadow in the bottom right.

28" is also fine if it has VESA holes and isn't too heavy... Had a look at Hisense but they only seem to have 32" plus.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Anything under 48/49 is deemed lower end now especially when it comes to 4K/UHD.
You can get more complete smart functions through an external device. What specifically are you looking for?

Delta128

I don't really need high end. Full HD is fine with me but 4K might be nice. I know external devices can offer streaming and apps but built in is a bit tidier. Just need the usual iPlayer, ITV, Netflix, Prime. Most Smart TV's have this built in anyway. USB recording is a plus.

Wireless streaming like Miracast is a plus. 48/49"? I'm not looking a big TV for the bedroom though.

At least 2 HDMI ports I'd say but the more the merrier. I already use an HDMI switch and that's full.

Dodgexander

You can't get 4k at smaller sizes now, and even at 43" options are frankly grim. For a bedroom TV I'd stick to a cheap 43" model, and if that isn't possible a 32". You are already scraping the barrel with these, so going for an even smaller TV and you'll end up with something even worse.

Best buys are here:

Delta128

You can't get 4k at smaller sizes now, and even at 43" options are frankly grim. For a bedroom TV I'd stick to a cheap 43" model, and if that isn't possible a 32". You are already scraping the barrel with these, so going for an even smaller TV and you'll end up with something even worse.

Best buys are here:
Hi, thanks for the info. If 4k isn't a thing for below 32" then it doesn't matter to me. I don't actually need it to be amazing. It does seem 27" has died out. I'm not after something big and 4K and personally, don't care too much about those things. Anything bigger than 28" probably can't be mounted on my monitor arm due to the weight anyway. So, something that's worse than today's standards may be fine for me as long as picture quality is good enough and it supports a reasonable resolutions. i.e. 1080P Full HD

Just need to be able to work with multiple devices and has some nice Smart features. Strangely difficult to find these days. A lot of monitors and smart monitors I've been coming across are the perfect size but no TV tuner. Don't really want a separate freeview box with a separate remote if I can help it

Maybe I have to hunt for a used one...

Last edited:

Dodgexander

TVs are very light nowadays, what's the rated weight of your monitor arm? Less than 32" you may have to use non-smart TV with a Roku or Firestick or similar.
Amazon product
To be honest, not having built in smart isn't a bad thing. Keeping it separate is relatively simple now with HDMI CEC.

Delta128

Hi. Good point about weight of modern TVs!

I got this
Amazon product
So it says it can do up to 32" but I can't find any reference to max weight.

Sorry, what's a CEC?

I do have a Fire TV Stick and even old Apple TV's knocking about unused so I guess smart features aren't an issue/ a priority. Was more for consolidation without having to use a separate remote really and Smart TV's more likely to have recording features which I don't currently have (my current TV can supposedly do it but I never managed to find a flash drive / HDD that it could work with).

Last edited:

Dodgexander

The listing has the max weight as 8kg according to the link you posted.
The 28" LG I shared is 5.8kg.
32" models can weight less (more modern, I guess). Like this one that's recommended by some people on the forum:
(less than 5kg).

mikej

AFAIK, LG are the only manufacturer who still make 28" Freeview TVs - other manufacturers tend to jump from 24" to 32".

The smart versions are the 28TN525S and the 28TN515S, which are essentially the same TV with a different stand. They're 720p though (not the 1080p you're after) and reviews of many smaller (and some larger) LG sets often talk about memory problems causing apps to crash, so one option would be to buy the cheaper non-smart version and use your Fire TV Stick. That would use up one of the two HDMI sockets on that particular model though. I don't think recording to USB is an option on these 28" models.

If you want a 1080p resolution at around 28", then you'll either have to look at PC monitors and add a Freeview box or, if an extra box/remote isn't desirable, then jump up to at least a 32" TV. If you do that, then you get more choice than at 28", with LG, Samsung, Toshiba and others all still making smart 1080p TVs at that size.

vickster

Distinguished Member
The listing has the max weight as 8kg according to the link you posted.
The 28" LG I shared is 5.8kg.
32" models can weight less (more modern, I guess). Like this one that's recommended by some people on the forum:
(less than 5kg).
I’m perfectly happy with mine

Delta128

AFAIK, LG are the only manufacturer who still make 28" Freeview TVs - other manufacturers tend to jump from 24" to 32".

The smart versions are the 28TN525S and the 28TN515S, which are essentially the same TV with a different stand. They're 720p though (not the 1080p you're after) and reviews of many smaller (and some larger) LG sets often talk about memory problems causing apps to crash, so one option would be to buy the cheaper non-smart version and use your Fire TV Stick. That would use up one of the two HDMI sockets on that particular model though. I don't think recording to USB is an option on these 28" models.

If you want a 1080p resolution at around 28", then you'll either have to look at PC monitors and add a Freeview box or, if an extra box/remote isn't desirable, then jump up to at least a 32" TV. If you do that, then you get more choice than at 28", with LG, Samsung, Toshiba and others all still making smart 1080p TVs at that size.
I'm guessing the monitors only have like 1 HDMI port? They might have HDMI and displayport. I'm opening up to the idea of a separate box but if a 32" is light enough, I suppose it can work. I'll have a look at those 28" ones even the res is lower. Thanks.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Hi. Does it have VESA mounts on the back?

Thanks.

My current TV is actually an LG 27MS73V. Had a for many years. Manufactured 2013 but can't remember when I bought it.
Of course. 200x200
Richer sounds sell it, £249, 6 yr warranty. Full spec on site.
Has all the catch up apps unlike 2020 LGs

Attachments

• 0EAD3311-0AD7-40DF-B949-DABB22FCF6E7.jpeg
    0EAD3311-0AD7-40DF-B949-DABB22FCF6E7.jpeg
    365.1 KB · Views: 31

mikej

I'm guessing the monitors only have like 1 HDMI port? They might have HDMI and displayport. I'm opening up to the idea of a separate box but if a 32" is light enough, I suppose it can work. I'll have a look at those 28" ones even the res is lower. Thanks.

I don't know much about PC monitors I'm afraid, but a quick look at some of LG's models shows they tend to have 2 HDMI ports.

The TV monitors aren't with the normal TVs on LG's site, incidentally - they can be found alongside the PC monitors here.

If you're using it as a second monitor, will you be viewing it close-up on a desk ? If so, you might get more benefit from 1080p over 720p. From further away (ie. from across a room), you're unlikely to be able to tell the difference in resolution when watching normal HD TV, although the larger 32" size would be a benefit.

Delta128

I don't know much about PC monitors I'm afraid, but a quick look at some of LG's models shows they tend to have 2 HDMI ports.

The TV monitors aren't with the normal TVs on LG's site, incidentally - they can be found alongside the PC monitors here.

If you're using it as a second monitor, will you be viewing it close-up on a desk ? If so, you might get more benefit from 1080p over 720p. From further away (ie. from across a room), you're unlikely to be able to tell the difference in resolution when watching normal HD TV, although the larger 32" size would be a benefit.
Yeah, kind of close up. As it’s on an arm, I can push it back a bit more than if it was on a stand on the desk. Thanks

Delta128

Of course. 200x200
Richer sounds sell it, £249, 6 yr warranty. Full spec on site.
Has all the catch up apps unlike 2020 LGs
Oh no! I was about to say bingo, we have a winner then saw your picture and thought the holes looked far apart. :(

then I checked the specs on my monitor arms and it says VESA 100/75mm 😭

vickster

Distinguished Member
No idea I’m afraid, never used a mount

Delta128

Annoyingly, I can find the weight of my current one for a comparison. That 32” looks idea otherwise.

does recording to USB and wireless projection from amartphones work (if you’ve tried)?

never worked properly on mine

vickster

Distinguished Member
Weigh it on scales?

Not tried to cast and I’m working at mo. Never really felt the need as it’s just a secondary bedroom tv

vickster

Distinguished Member
Ok just checked, yes can play music from iphone in TV by Bluetooth…and cast YouTube from phone to tv (after installing YT app)

Dodgexander

Annoyingly, I can find the weight of my current one for a comparison. That 32” looks idea otherwise.
Get the model number from the back and post it here.
does recording to USB and wireless projection from amartphones work (if you’ve tried)?
The TV uses Miracast for screen sharing, so your source needs to support it. Windows PCs do, most Android devices also do, no idea about iPhone.
Casting is a different thing altogether.
USB recording is supported.

All these things are mentioned (with steps) in the user manual:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 24th November 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Panasonic 2021 TV update brings full 4K resolution with VRR and HFR