1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

27" LCD TV for £2962.44!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by grimboid, Mar 5, 2005.

1. grimboid

grimboid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in a town with a shop called 'Brighthouse'. It offers finance deals to people unfortunate enough not to be able to afford products outright or to get normal finance deals.

I've become a little hung up recently about the costs of these finance deals to people who can least afford them, and a recent offer has finally convinced me to write to my MP on the subject.

http://www.brighthouse.info/product...isions/display-product-large.asp?id=CIMB27LCD

As you can see, this unheard brand of TV is 27" and seems likely to be equivalent to other non-mainstream 27" LCD TVs from companies such as Harwa and Tevion. These are available for around £700 I think. But even Brighthouse's cash price is getting towards double this. Add in the vanilla finance together with the 'optional service cover' (the latter will be quite desirable as it also enables easy repayment terms), and you've got three grand.

Before I write my letter, can anybody help me with any information about Baier or this LCD TV in particular?

Thanks

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    This is a typical, customer branded, load of rubbish. It's specs are as poor as I have seen for a while and, astonishingly, they are asking £1000 for product protection!

.....jings...

Somebody out there is probably going to buy this...gawd help them.....

Jimmy

3. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    its nowhere near the spec of my £599.99 27" LCD Tevion from Aldi, Brighthouse should not be able to offer credit to anyone on Income Support, a friend of my niece's owes £5600 on a suite, 28" W/s Sanyo with DVD and a PS2, worth about £1000 if bought in cash anywhere else, the suite is one of those £4/500 things from Argos basically, not knocking em, (before I get flamed) just that in no way does that little lot add up to over 5k even with interest, now she is struggling to pay the bills, a neighbour got in debt with them aswell and as she was moving out, they were taking the stuff back and putting it in their van and she still owes thousands.

Ban Brighthouse is my answer, should not be able to rip off the people on income support/low income etc, taking the **** out of the needy due to that fact that they can't get credit anywhere else.

Taz

4. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    No offence to these people but surely they work out how much they the interest is and how much they will be paying out and how much they have coming in every week/month. I agree with you about companies like this ripping people off but surely people have more sense to take out such finance options.

5. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Nick, I think its more down to the fact that since they are on benefits/low income, they feel trapped in a way that they may never be able to save up etc for a certain item and this is the only way, I have nothing against credit etc, but there should be some sort of law in place that they can't be taken for granted and for a ride at the same time,

Taz

6. grimboid

grimboid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't want to go too far off topic but this is a complex subject - high APRs for high risk loans are of course justified, and it is important that people do not end up dealing with illegal lenders if other options are removed.

The reason I feel so angry about this BrightHouse LCD TV deal is the overpriced base cash price of the item, together with the service cover option which is cynically sweetened with the easy payment terms - it is these two issues which I hope to be able to constructively criticise in my letter.

I've emailed BrightHouse asking for further info about the TV and Baier - it'll be interesting to read their reply.

Do we suspect then that this TV might even be inferior to the Aldi/Tevion? I had a quick look in BrightHouse this afternoon (I'd some difficulty forcing myself to set foot in the place). The picture looked quite pixellated but was difficult to assess properly due to sunlight. It has component, DVI and VGA inputs, and a Made in Korea sticker on the back. I couldn't find a model ID.

A search for Baier on google returns absolutely nothing as far as I can tell.

7. grimboid

grimboid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, my contact with BrightHouse didn't help too much of course. The Baier brand is 'manufactured exclusively for BrightHouse'. And my attempts to get hold of proper specifications for the set were ultimately replied to with the question "What did you want to know?".

I'll have a closer look at the set again in the shop, but it seems likely that I'll move forward on the basis that a meaningful retail value for it can be no more than £700.

I shudder to think how low the actual cost price of these units is to BrightHouse relative to £2962.44

I don't know how these guys sleep at night.

8. wonderfullife

wonderfullife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just seen this TV is Asda for £399.99.

For Brighthouse to charge that much is an absolute disgrace and they should be ashamed.

The TV spec is actually very good.

1366x768 resolution.
    8 ms response time
    HDMI connection
    2 scarts
    PC connections
    1000:1 luminance
    AV connections
    512 page teletext
    2 x 10 w speakers

Gonna go and get one for £360 as i know someone who works in Asda lol

9. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Can you report back if its any good please :)

10. bigphil

bigphil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent TV my mother bought 2 last week.
    i had a little trouble tuning one of them in and the pacific/durabrand freeview STB remote controls work the TV

11. gaz2785

gaz2785

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Isn't this the case for all purchases where people don't want to wait and save up?

Many of us will pay back tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of pounds more than our homes are worth, for the privelage of living in our home now rather than having to save up the full asking price.