27" Full HD (1080p) TV recommendations

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by SwampieUK, Jan 7, 2012.

Tags:
  1. SwampieUK

SwampieUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm looking for recommendations for 27" Full HD (1080p) TVs to replace our main CRT TV. I'm unlikely to be using the speakers (have AV amp) or internal tuner, so I guess a monitor would be suitable. Don't really need a remote either unless it won't auto-search across the different inputs.

The space the TV has to fit into limits me to 27" maximum (definitely cannot go to 32"), and I really do want Full HD resolution.

It's likely to be mostly fed by either Humax 9200T PVR (via composite) or VM TiVo. I'm aware that on many LCD type TVs I've seen that the image quality has appeared worse than our CRT TV, particularly with respect to blockiness. I'm also concerned about viewing angles of LCDs. Generally we'll sit directly in front (eyes at aligned with top of screen), but if the other sofa is in use, it'll be about 30-45 degrees off centre. With regard to vertical alignment - we have a Wii, which often requires standing. I understand viewing from above/below tends to be the worst for LCD screens.

My budget is really up to about £300.

The screens I've been looking at/considering have been:
    Samsung T27A300 (but don't like the single HDMI input)
    Samsung P2770HD
    Samsung UE27D5000
    LG DM2780D (not really sure about 3D)
    LG M2780D
    LG M2762DP

I've also taken a liking to the BenQ EW2730V which isn't a TV (has no tuner, or analogue inputs) but is an 8 bit VA panel with LED backlight, which I understand to be a lot better than TN panels with regard to viewing angles and colour gradients. However, I've also seen people say that VA panels can have ghosting - and I've not seen any reviews for this display which deal with use as a TV. Not sure whether it would be an issue. My concern about this is how to use Wii/Humax PVR with it, but I've seen some SCART to HDMI boxes for £40 that may be suitable.

Does anyone have any person experience with 27" full HD displays? Will any of them be pretty good (even with non-HD inputs) and it doesn't really matter?

I'm unlikely to use it with a PC. Thought my laptop had HDMI, but turns out it's Display Port. Even so, use with a PC would be a once in a blue moon scenario.

Thanks

D

2. Adam86

Adam86
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I have just bought a 27" TV for my bedroom, I too had to have 27" max and no bigger. I bought the following TV:

LG DM2780D 27 inch Cinema 3D TV Monitor: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

LG DM2780D Monitors - 27" LED LCD 3D FULL HD Monitor TV - LG Electronics UK

Even though I havent had a lot of time to play with it as it only came yesterday, I am very impressed with the picture quality. I didnt buy it for the 3d but have tried it and its pretty good! The bad thing I have found so far is the speaker quality is not so good (to be expected) so if you are connecting to an amp it won't be any problem :) I bought the TV going by all the other reviews I could find who were saying pretty much the same thing.

The TV also has a picture wizard built in so it recommends what brightness/contrast settings should be used.

It has 2 HDMI ports and if you were to connect your laptop up you'd only need to get a Displayport to HDMI adapter.

An added bonus for you is its now reduced to £279 I paid £299 on Friday so I've actually emailed Amazon telling them how annoying that is so maybe they'll give me a gift certificate!

Thanks

3. SwampieUK

SwampieUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the information, I value real life comments over theoretical specs!

What's the viewing angles like, particularly horizontally? Any information about the warranty period? I can't seem to find this anywhere - LG's website says to check the User Manual, and looking at it online, it doesn't give a warranty period inside.

4. Adam86

Adam86
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will have a look later when i get home from work for you, what is your horizontal viewing distance going to be at? I think its 2 years warranty but I'll check as well.

Cheers

5. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Can you confirm, is the warranty 2 years? Thanks.

As SwampieUK says, the LG website just sends you round in circles.

My 80 year old Grandmother needs a new TV and I've been looking at recommending the LG DM2780D. She only needs a 26"/27" TV with Freeview to replace her "on it's last legs" 20" CRT analogue TV (she hadn't noticed only one speaker works). The 3D glasses will be staying in the box. I figure LED LCD TVs are the best at the 26"/27" TV size range.

Given that she's been watching TV with only one speaker for some time I imagine, I doubt she'll notice the tinny speaker quality either.

It's now £279.99 at Amazon.co.uk.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  6. Adam86

Adam86
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hey,

Really sorry but I cant confirm the warranty. The manual comes on the CD, which is the same as the manual you download and I cant see anything confirming the warranty in there. I am sure it is 2 years though but for the price I wouldnt let it put me off even if it was just 1 year as LG are usually very reliable.

I am chuffed with this TV it really is the ideal 27" model. As for the sound I bought these little speakers for it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0025ANHF8

They are USB powered so I just plugged them into the port on the TV and then the 3.5mm jack into the headphone socket. The sound now is so much better and still looks tidy.

Yup, Amazon refunded me the £20 back because they reduced the price the day after I took delivery of it.

7. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Thanks for the reply.

Me either. It looks like a good telly. Out of interest why do you think it's 2 years?

That's a really good idea. I hadn't thought of using the USB power to power extra speakers. I doubt my grandmother will care but it's definitely something to bear in mind.

It's scary to think a pair of £13 speakers are better quality than the ones that come in a modern £300 TV though. They really do need to work on this!

8. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    A quick question, can you get a 26" or 27" LED LCD TV with Freeview HD?

I doubt I'd get it for my grandmother as she'll never get her head around switching to channel 501 (or whatever BBC1 HD is on) over channel 1 but I've not seen any. Thanks.

9. Adam86

Adam86
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before I bought it from Amazon it was £300 and on Richer Sounds it said to give them a call for price, they told me it was £330 from their so I told them about the price on Amazon, they said they do not price match with Amazon as they don't offer a 5 year gaurantee. I told the guy I wasnt interested in a 5 year gaurantee as the TV wouldnt get enough use to justify it. I asked him what the manufacturers warranty was and he said it was 2 years - but i have not found any solid information on paper. I can try contacting Amazon if you like and see if they can tell me?

I know, its bloody bonkers and you really notice it when you unplug the external speakers how tinny it does sound - but like you say this isnt just restricted to this set.

Never saw one myself either but to be honest I didnt really look for what Freeview service it can receive as both my TV's in the house are connected to my Media Center which has a Freeview HD card installed.

Cheers

10. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Thanks. That's okay. 1 or 2 years warranty I'm happy.