1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

26GA4E and GeForce 6800GT

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by dj_ooms, Feb 22, 2005.

1. dj_ooms

dj_ooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I have just bought a GeForce 6800GT graphics card but am having problems getting a resolution of 1368x768 or 1360x768 on the 26GA4E. The resolution can be added through the nVidia driver or through PowerStrip but the resolution does not fit the screen and instead the desktop scrolls across instead of fitting the screen. I don't have a problem with 1280x768, but I really want to use the whole available screen without stretching. Does anyone know how to fix this? I never used to have this problem with my Radeon 9800XT.

Thanks in advance.

2. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I had this problem as well.

Are you using a dual head graphics card?

What you need to do is set the graphics card so that it displays the image as centred output and not monitor scaled which it is probably doing at the moment.

Failing that uninstall and reinstall the latest forceware drivers and keep trying.

It took me quite a few times before I finally got it working.

3. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh when you do get it working .. I would be interested in hearing your views on the difference in PQ quality.

I don't suppose you are using a Nebula card as well?

4. McE

McE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Got my sharp on 1360x768 (1368x768 wont work) and have a razor sharp image over a 10m DVI cable.

Only things I do: plug it in, rightclick on desktop, properties, advanced, 6800GT, Nview settings (only appears if you have two screens on the card), cloning, put the LCD as primary Screen, auto synch in the sharp menu (input resolution 1366x768).

Then instal Windows Media Player 10, download some WMVHD samples or DivX HD samples.... :eek: :D

5. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have mine at 1368x768, but not in clone mode but Dual view mode.

And over a 15m DVI cable :D

6. McE

McE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    dual view... isn't this ATI related? How could you set it to 1368x768... if I do that I have a very distorted image with kind of vertical bars. Not even manual synch with clock and phase could get rid of it...

7. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No my 6600GT has a dual view mode.

Which is basically spanning the image across two monitors but treating them as seperate monitors so when you maximise a window it does not span across the two monitors but stays in one.

It sounds like your picture is being scaled by your monitor and is not set to centred output? When mine was like this I could not get rid of the vertical wavy lines.

Can you check?

At 1368x768 and after adjusting it manually I get no vertical lines and it is razor sharp and crystal clear.

I'll try tonight with 1360x768 and see what it looks like.

8. McE

McE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'll do that. I guess it's realy that "centered" image thing that causes my problems.

Strange thing is I can't see the missing 3 lines of each side (should be a litte black bar on each side) in 1360x768 but the picture is dot for dot.

On your image there are only two lines missing which can't be seen I guess right?

And I can only repeat it: HL2 can be played in 16:9 native resolutions like 1368x768 etc.... WOW! I hope more games come with 16:9 in future...

9. McE

McE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    1368x768 doesn't work in clone mode (screens stays black) I tried everything and even tried different drivers (latest 75.80)

But I'm very happy with 1360x768 and set it up to "centered" output. Now there are 3 black pixel lines on each side as it should be and auto synch results in a perfect image.

10. sffpc

sffpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just had the same problem. Some searching revealed this page that has a very detailed description on how to deal with this problem.

11. McE

McE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I love you man :clap:

12. dj_ooms

dj_ooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks for the responses guys. My card is connected to my DVI connector. I have tried so many driver versions and PowerStrip. I have tried the details outlined in the article recommended by sffpc. I can't even get the 1st step to work. I can't select anything except for monitor scaled. I get a screen saying "Out Of Range" with a frequency of 85Hz. This is really frustrating. The screen still ends up being like a virtual desktop. Any other suggestions?

13. dj_ooms

dj_ooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Ok I found some drivers that managed to work with the other digital panel options instead of just monitor scaling. The only problem is I still can't get the resolution to work. As soon as I go above 1280 pixels horizontally the desktop becomes like a virtual desktop. I think I have narrowed down the problem to the EDID, as this is detected as having a maximum resolution of 1280x1024. So I think if the pixels go above the EDID detected values it creates a virtual desktop. Now I am wondering if there is a way to make the nVidia drivers ignore the EDID values? Possibly a registry hack might work or whether there are any good modified nVidia drivers that do this as standard. Thanks in advance.

14. spoonboy30

spoonboy30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i also get out of range when i switch to anything other than "monitor scaling" as also can't even get past the first step suggested

strange thing is i can switch to "centered" ouput when using older drivers (55.76) but these don't allow custom resolutions (even with powerstrip) so i then can't switch to a resolution other than 1280x768 or less :mad:

the only thing i can think is that cos i have an old geforce 4 card the new drivers and custom resolutions just will not work!!!!

guess i'm just stuck using 1280x768 in full mode - slightly dodgy aspect ratio but still pretty damn good quality pic!!!!! :rolleyes:

15. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    dj ooms,

I think Ironduke had something similar on his 6600GT. He ended up downloading the latest Forceware drivers and finding these worked.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168317&page=3&pp=15&highlight=Powertripe

Also, at the top of that page are the copy and paste settings. These might work.

For what it's worth, when I plugged my laptop in last night, the tv autodetected and set up automatically. All I did was flick it over to Dot by Dot mode.

One problem I did have is that being a laptop with max res of 800x600, displaying 1024x768 meant it would scroll on the Sharp because the Sharp image was mirroring the laptops image. I had to go into the BIOS and switch the video option from "LCD/CRT" to "CRT" and flicked between either screen. That way, when the image is on both screens, I only get 800x600, but when I display on the Sharp only, I get 1024x768.

By the way, in 1024x768 mode, 2 or 3 pixels are cropped on the left hand side. Anyone else had this ? Only noticed because "My Documents" shows as "y Documents" !

Richie.

16. dj_ooms

dj_ooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I got so fed up that I decided to use VGA-DVI cable. I can now get a resolution of 1360x768 or 1368x768 +/- few pixels as the image is not scaled on analogue for some reason. Oh well at least I get close to the native resolution. The picture is still very crisp. To tell the truth, I don't really notice any difference between the digital and analogue connection. They both look the same to me. I don't know if there will be a difference in gaming though. Thanks for the help anyway guys.

17. sffpc

sffpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heureka, I finally got it. The link I posted yesterday didn't get me there either. Still, the settings there proved useful. So I tried another avenue.

I connected the same screen using the component connection and enabled it as a second screen. After an AutoSync on the screen all is one-to-one pixel and very sharp. I'm using a LC-26GA4E with a 6600GT card.

My detailed settings using the 71.81 WHQL driver are as follows (previously added using PowerStrip as outlined in the link I posted yesterday):

Horizontal: Front porch 40, Back porch 224, Sync polarity -, Sync width 184, Active Pixels 1368
    Vertical: Front porch 3, Back porch 29, Sync polarity -, Sync width 6, Refresh rate 60.217, Active pixels 768
    Display adapter scaling.

I set up the secondary screen as 720p. Don't care about it as it won't be used anyway.

I know I may try to get to 1366 but now that it's working I won't be touching it anymore.

18. dj_ooms

dj_ooms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi richjthorpe. When they say the latest drivers do they mean the official nVidia release or beta versions that can be found on the likes of Guru3D.com and MVKTech.net? Thanks.

19. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sorry, I'm not sure where he got them from. Just googled for Forceware Drivers and it took me to the nVidia website. I selected Graphics Drive->Geforce and TNT2 and it came up with Forceware.

Failing that, PM Ironduke.

Richie.

20. sffpc

sffpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get your drivers here.