26" viewing distance 2-3 feet, 720p still cool?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Raven1907, Dec 30, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Raven1907

Raven1907

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As topic really.

I'm getting myself an lcd that will also be a PC monitor, now yes its not home cinema heaven but its for my room.

26LC2R Is what i'll be getting XD engine in the flesh is bloody impressive and I dig the picture.

The question really is should i wait for 1080p from that distance, in terms of 1080p sources I'll be getting a HDdvd drive for my 360, now of course it'll be 768p on the LG. More to the point will i be able to discern the difference enough to justify both waiting and the inevitable extra cost?

Ive seen the evident difference on a 42" panny and a 42" Sharp from about 5 ft, but I just want a little clarification on the set up I've described.

Incidently if I do wait, i'll be going with the Benq 24FPW which is a 24" with 1080p.

Thanks.

2. Raven1907

Raven1907

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. rounddodger

rounddodger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bloody nora, 2-3 feet away? 720p is more than good.

4. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    2-3' that's more of a cupboard than a room...........do you live in London ???:D

From my perspective I have a 32" 768 LCD screen in a lounge. Normal viewing distance is 8.5' from the sofa, but when I'm on my own (95% of the time.......:( ) I slide an arm-chair in front of the sofa, the viewing distance is then 5'. I can make out the pixels at this distance, at 8.5' I have to squint to type replies. So if you can actually get that close 2-3', (that's my desk distance at work) then 768 may be ok, it depends on what your doing, if its photoshop then get a 15:9 24" hi-res monitor, if its watching moves.........gets some glassses, and from that distance you may need somes decent screen wipes..:devil: !

5. Raven1907

Raven1907

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

well i intend on it being a fulltime pc monitor, and for my 360. Its just the normal distance i sit from the screen (desk size etc). So basically i should wait?

I know its a bit ridiculous being that close but its just my standard distance at the moment and i cant type if i get further away :D .

Lg now or 6 months wait :rolleyes:

6. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    What is your existing monitor? Size / Type

Does your gfx support dual monitor output?

Does your PC connect via DVI or VGA (XBox360 issue....LCD TV's have component for 720p input, LCD Monitors have 1 VGA, and Digital LCD Monitors have 1 DVI and 1 VGA (usually no component))?

Is money a concern????

Lots of questions I know, but just background.

btw the way 2-3 feet and 32" would be too close, some lcd TV's close up have uniformity issues with backlight and colours. Before you buy the 26" LG, give it a demo, get up close and look for non-uniformity in colours, and backlight. They also vary in heat (up close) some can make you sweat (AND BUZZ) .....just another variable for you to check.

For general PC USE, and XBox360 the LG 26" LCD should be fine (as I mentioned from 2-3' 32" would be too big).........you just need to check on DVI/HDMI resolution inputs.......normally LG give at least 1360x768, but you have to check the specific model.

You will have a very long wait for a 1080p 26" LCD TV, but if you were a VERY KEEN photographer, then a compromise would be one of the 24" widescreen LCD monitors, however from your posts I do not think you need wait, and a 26" LCD TV would suffice. My only concern is that they are proportionally expensive compared to wider equivalents.

7. Raven1907

Raven1907

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Yes my pc does dual output. Pc has dvi and vga. I'd like to stay under £500. I had a Mirai 27" for a while and it was a little overwhelming but would probably be ok after a few weks (returned it after a few days because of the iminent price drop).

I would have bought the Dell2407wfp but it doesn't do 1080p via dvi hdcp.

"My only concern is that they are proportionally expensive compared to wider equivalents"

i assume by that u mean the difference between 26 and 32 price wise is so minimal.

8. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    yeah 32" verses 26" bit pricey, not as expensive as the Dell's though.

Did you like the Mirai...........it had favourable reviews that I read?

Basically 1080p is the F1, but you cannot get many shopping bags in the back..768p is more WRC!

If you are an XBox360 person then 720p rendered games, and downscaled 1080 HD-DVD's plus upscaled SD 576i TV will be fine on the 26" LG...........if you were a PS3 person then it may have been better to wait.....and wait..........and wait a bit longer :D ....vapour-ware'ish.

I've got a 768p "stop-gap" 32" LCD...........but I am now torn between waiting for a decent (reasonably priced) 42" 1080p, or a 42" 768p screen with good scaling (aka Toshiba 42WLT68).

9. Raven1907

Raven1907

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

yeah it was nice, had a bit of an issue with skin tones, saying that i didn't mess about with config that much, but a nice set. I've seen the LG in the flesh and its got really nice vivid image, better than he mirais and now the same price so thats why im considering it.

10. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    If you can, find it post on one of the LG theads (even if its a 32" thread), just get some user feedback, on reliability, service support etc.

I'm signing off, got some more episode of Prision Break to watch......goodnight.