1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

26" tft tv as a pc monitor

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by pgard16, Dec 3, 2004.

1. pgard16

pgard16
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am interested in buying a 26" tft tv to use as a pc monitor, mainly for gaming, i have seen a sharp aquos setup and it looked pretty good. i am not really sure what i need to look for though, I have a Ati x800pro graphics card and have been thinking of either the sharp Aquos 26" Widescreen LCD TV
    LC26GA3E http://www.sharp.co.uk/products/product.asp?id=909 or LG RZ26LZ50 http://uk.lge.com/prodmodeldetail.d...Id=01&modelCodeDisplay=RZ26LZ50&model=NOTHING Would either of these be ok to use as a decent quality pc monitor, i would not use the tv functions much though but would be nice to have a decent tv in my office.

2. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    The LG doesn't have any way of connecting a PC. The sharp has DVI.

Bear in mind not many PC games are designed for widescreen, probably hardly any infact.

3. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    :nono: mark88.

Correction, the LG's RZ 26LZ50 has a DVI input specifically marked for PC input, there is however no VGA PC Input

In addition,on the box it states "PC Monitor Compatible"

Welcome to the forum Pgard16. :)
    You may consider asking this question in the LCD TV & Screens section of this forum.

Del :smoke:

4. pgard16

pgard16
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanks i'll try :)

5. .Griff.

.Griff.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Farcry, HL2, CS:S, to name a few I own but there's loads of games now that support widescreen. Is use a 30" LCD screen and games are amazing on it.

6. pgard16

pgard16
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what 30" are you using, i dont want to buy somthing that is not very good, also can any one tell me what i should look for, ie resolution or refresh rate ?

7. .Griff.

.Griff.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I'm using the 30" Medion that everyone raved about over the summer. See numerous lengthy threads in LCD forum. Obviously a high native resolution is preferable but it all depends on how much you are willing to spend. As for refresh rate 16ms or less is what you want.

8. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    A very good website that covers PC widescreen gaming can be found at http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/.

That also have some custom patches to force widescreen resolutions on games that don't natively support them.

9. pgard16

pgard16
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, there is lot of info on there :cool:

10. pgard16

pgard16
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have bought a 27" medion (16ms refresh), looks pretty good, i have only connected it with vga so far, but i am building a new athlon 64pc with ati x800 pro & will use dvi, now just got to see if games will work widescreen, mainly battlefield 1942 and need for speed 2 :D

11. .Griff.

.Griff.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I can vouch that BF1942 does not work well in Widescreen at all. The config files can be edited to support 1280 * 768 but it makes the game (on a profressional basis at least) unplayable. If you want any more info on setting BF up catch me at www.wws-clan.net

12. pgard16

pgard16
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have built pc and connected it up to pc with dvi, the results are stunning, i did not believe this sort of picture quality would be obtainable on a tv.

Re: bf42: I was expecting problems , and i have not made any changes to files but it runs perfect, fits full screen, no image stretch it just looks perfect and runs as smooth as silk (graphics card ati x800 pro ?). which really pleased me as i have played bf since it launched and still play about 3 or more :D hours each day & also run 4 bf servers, Clan is Candys www.candys.cc i play as Nobby Redneck :)