1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

26" LCDs?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by JackBlack, Dec 8, 2004.

1. JackBlack

JackBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    1st post, long time lurker :hiya:

I live in a small house, currently have a 4:3 Sony that's pushing 15-16 years of age! :rolleyes:
    Would love to replace it with a new widescreen TV but the CRT versions would take up too much room, hence I'd like a 26" LCD (any bigger would be too big for the room). Limited budget is also a problem.
    I was looking round Comet last weekend and they had a Goodmans LD2601 26" LCD for £799 which is bang on how much I'd like to spend.
    It's spec seems more than ok when compared to similar sized LCD's...

Dimensions 24.2x66.0x5.7(H/W/D)cm
    Television type LCD
    Television size 26 inches
    Screen format Widescreen (16:9)
    Contrast Ratio 600:1
    Brightness 600
    Visible screen 66cm
    Sound Nicam Digital Stereo
    Power output (RMS) 14 watts
    Scart sockets 2
    RGB Scart sockets 1
    S-Video socket
    Component video inputs No
    Tuner box included
    Speakers included Yes
    Wall mountable Yes
    On screen menus Yes
    Other Features Picture in Picture
    Response time conforms to LCD TV standards
    170 / 170 Viewing Angle
    PAL / NTSC progressive scan
    Digital Picture Processing
    Co-axial Digital input
    VGA compatible
    SVGA compatible
    RGB PC in
    181 channels
    Auto set up for easy tuning
    100 page teletext memory
    Low energy consumption

They didn't have one on display when I was there, asked if they had them in stock, they did, went round the back and brought one out in it's box and asked me if I'd need help to take it to my car!!!
    He seemed geniunly shocked that I wasn't going to buy it without seeing the picture quality!! Was told they couldn't demostrate it that day but to come back later in the week to see it working.

So my question(s) is, has anyone got one of these, seen it working, think I'm completely mad for contemplating buying a Goodmans?

edit..opps forgot to say, not bothered that it's only Stereo as I've got a seperate 5.1 decoder and speakers

2. garygfx

garygfx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It's £100 less now - £699. It sounds like a good deal but that's only if it has a DVI input, 1280x720 pixels, and a 16ms response time. None of that information is revealed at the Comet site nor at the useless Goodmans site. How do they expect us to buy their products if they don't give us the most important details?

3. Mickf71

Mickf71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

I work for comet. (dont Laugh) and just to confirm that the goodmans model your talking about does have DVI connector and in manual its listed as a 16ms response time. We had this running of a media centre PC in our store for a couple of months and when it appeared i was very interested and checked it out. Loads of connections on it. I also tried Far cry on it for a short time and it appeared to handle that very well.. Nice set for the Price. Just to add we just got the 32" version in last week and have it running a DVD through it. and it looks even better.

Hope this info is helpful

Regards

Mick

4. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Is this TV HDCP does anybody know?

Thanks

5. garygfx

garygfx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks Mick, that's good info. Is it possible to find out what resolution the screen has in pixels? I'm hoping it's 1280x720(or 768) but I have a feeling it could be lower because the Comet website describes the computer interface as SVGA which is typically 800x600 (i.e. not HDTV ready) Thanks.

6. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Its a widescreen TV so id be very surprised if it was SVGA!!!!

It may just be that it is able to support SVGA through its DVI input...

Still wandering if it is HDCP compatable for the Sky Hidef service

7. fred3939

fred3939
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got back from Comet and saw this LCD on display. For the price and just asthetic look of the unit thought it was pretty good. The picture quality was good. One of the main differences I could see from other units next to it, was the colour depth, it did seem to have a more CRT type display and the viewing angle was much better than a philips widescreen. As always the signal it was being fed by the ppl in Comet was poor so couldn't get a true representation of what it is capable of, but from what I seen so far it looks very temping even if it is a goodmans... my only question would be the build quality and the fact that I can't find any retailer/etailer selling this TV apart from comet.

8. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    does it have a component input/progressive scan?

9. Mickf71

Mickf71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again

Screen Resolution is Definatley 1280x768 through DVI from PC.

Regards

Mick

10. Mickf71

Mickf71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

It defo Has component Inputs on it too, but not 100% sure about Progressive scan. Will find out tomorrow for you.

Mick

11. WonkyEwok

WonkyEwok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'll second the comment about the good picture quality based on viewing at Comet. The 26" had good dark blacks, and they stayed black when you moved off-axis, unlike some more expensive lcds. (The Goodmans 32" didn't seem as good, either, though it may have been the lighting or something else).

The tuner on the 26" did not seem as good as any of the other lcds - there was much more jitter from the (probably dodgy) shared uhf feed. It _seemed_ ok for fast movement - I didn't notice any blurring / smearing, but conditions weren't ideal for checking.

One assistant knew about hdcp as he'd rung Goodmans earlier - he said these lcds are not hdcp compliant.

12. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    excellent post, thanks WonkeyEwok.

P.S. what is a WonkyEwok??!!??!! :p

13. WonkyEwok

WonkyEwok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks! It's quite exciting choosing which TV to go for (or scary at the prospect of spending big dosh). Though part of me is thinking "just give some of the money to the tsunami relief operation and wait a few months more"..

The Ewoks were the furry round things from the last star wars movie. It's a long story...

PS what's an ExplicitLyric? On second thoughts... :)

14. Spooksta

Spooksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +268
    Just got the last one in the Norwich Comet. Very pleased with it. Thanks to original poster. Will post pics and a small review when i get a chance..

15. Stinky985

Stinky985

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    spooksta - that would be great. even better if yuo can do that tonight. I may need to visit a local comet to check one out, but with my 2 kids it could be messy so a little review with pics would be a big help! Also could you confirm whtether the manual states anything about HDCP compliency?! Oh, and can you state the features response times etc etc etc

16. Spooksta

Spooksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +268
  17. Spooksta

Spooksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +268
    The installl:
    http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/920933/DSCF0012.JPG

The Back:
    http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/920933/DSCF0010.JPG

Shes Up:
    http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/920933/DSCF0014.JPG

(This is all done in a rush and are all limited to 120k so a bit blocky. Thats not what its realy like :) )

Best Pic so far:
    http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-12/920933/DSCF0022.JPG

(If anyone can upload this pic in its 2mb form please message me so peeps can get a better look but my camera just dont capture what i see)

Obviously they look better than this but you get an idea.

My quick Review

Build Quality 8/10
    Nothing nasty all sound.

Picture 7/10 (Should go up.Im only using £1.99 scart lead from Azda)
    Not perfect but fine for what i want. Overall im very pleased. If i test it with Component/Pc i know this will be better.

Sound 6/10
    The usualy built in quality that can not touch my dedicated set up in my cinema room.

Connectivity 8/10
    Scarts dont do RGB ( Not that i can see anyway )
    Looking forward to using the Component conections :)

Value for money 9/10

Instilation
    10/10 could not have been better
    Used this £29.99 bracket. Great value for money
    http://av-sales.co.uk/html/lcd_mounts.html

Overall 8/10
    Very pleased. Nothing buggin me at the moment.

Conclusion
    If your after a nice screen for the bedroom buy it. If your after a main TV for home cinema look around more if you can afford more.
    I was personaly looking for 22" LCD for £500-600 but i didnt think 22" would be enough so wanted 26"/27" for a little more dosh. This is exactly what i wanted. Was going for the Tosh but now glad i was messed about with delivery.

EDIT
    5 years!! yes 5 years on this TV is still going stong.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  18. garygfx

garygfx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks very much for the photos and review. Nemo is always a good test of quality and sharpness. Enjoy!

19. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    well ewok.... :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: are various examples :p

20. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Does anybody have any thoughts on how this set compares with the Saisho SX26G1
    in Curry & Dixons at £649?

21. fred3939

fred3939
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great review spooksta (good pics too), went to see the unit again today and was very close to buying it, but they did not have it in stock at my local comet. I've seen the Saisho as mentioned above and have to say the PQ is very similar to the goodmans.
    Does any one know if they are the same screens but in different shells ??

22. YorkshireCharm

YorkshireCharm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this thread died a death a week or so ago, but I just wanted to raise something now that I have gone and bought myself the Goodmans!...

I'm the first to admit I'm not overly clued up on the technology, but after a fair bit of scouring the web for info, and trying to clue myself in I decided to take a punt with the Goodmans as my first ever LCD, or even widescreen for that matter. I have to agree with most of the review done by Spooksta (and thanks for your efforts, as I was looking at these too before my purchase) but am really having a problem with the old "blurring" issue.

Has anyone found an optimal position for the settings? I have to say that having only got the thing yesterday I have not spent enough time on it, but I spent the whole afternoon yesterday just a little disapointed that my tv was by no means perfect!

I'm using Sky, which can obviously cause problems, but on the whole there is still blurring, even from the DVD, on anything that moves at some sort of pace across the screen. I'm only about 8 or 9 feet from the tv when viewing, which can't help either.

At the moment, me and the missus aren't sure if we can stand the quality, but I want to try everything (within affordable reason) before taking the set back, as I'm not sure the grass is always greener and there's much to be liked about the set otherwise. For a relatively decent spec I'm suprised that it's this bad at the moment. Anyone with any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks!

23. garygfx

garygfx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The older generation of LCD screens caused bluring when objects moved across the screen quickly. The LCD pixels take a certain amount of time to change which is called the response time and is quoted in milliseconds (ms). The average for a modern LCD screen is 16ms and generally you shouldn't notice bluring like you would with a 25ms or slower screen. The very latest top-end LCDs can do 12ms.

I'm not aware of any user controls that would let you improve this apart from turning down the brightness. Are you using a quality input such as RGB or component. Your Sky box will output RGB if you have a fully wired Scart lead (unscrew one end to make sure all of the pins are soldered to a wire) and your Sky box is set to output RGB. Apart from that, if no one else can help I'd be tempted to ask for a refund as it seems unacceptable to have bluring on a £700 TV. NB. Not fit for the purpose for which it was sold.

24. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yorkshirecharm,

I would suggest starting a new thread and asking it as a question.

You might get more people reading it.

:smashin:

25. YorkshireCharm

YorkshireCharm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks garygfx and hoyin - noted.

In response to the garygfx - In my haste I have not yet checked that the output from the Sky is RGB (it is likely to be on whatever default setting it has). However, the scarts going in are all of a pretty good quality.

I appreciate the response time issue, and this was the only stat not given in Comet (and stats for this model are hard to find elsewhere). Being pretty new out I figured that this would be ok bearing in mind that the stats for everything else are not bad at all. :oops: When I have a good play around with the sharpness and contrast settings (plus check the RGB output from Sky) tonight I shall check out that response rate in the manual! If it's a low rate, then I may post this again as another thread... I think this model has become very popular, but only in recent weeks.

Thanks again for all your help.

26. garygfx

garygfx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Forgot to ask you to clarify if the bluring was caused when objects moved quickly (a car driving past the camera or a fast camera pan) or if it was in general just a blury picture, even on still head shots? If it's the latter then it has nothing to do with the response time. Play with the sharpness controls and your video input. You need to be sure you're feeding it RGB or component (like from a DVD player) for best results.

27. YorkshireCharm

YorkshireCharm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    garygfx - it's really movement only, and this is improved slightly when moving further away from the screen (obvious statement!).

I realise I didn't make it entirely clear in my first note - I watch a fair bit of sport, and things like football player movements are currently bad. Football shows it at its prolonged worst, but other quick movements can be just as painful. If there is a still picture the sharpness and quality is extremely good. Unfortunately the tv is not for showing still shots! Thanks for all advice, I'll have a play around tonight.

28. YorkshireCharm

YorkshireCharm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought I'd just put this up in case anyone looks into this model.

I've now changed the output from my SKY to RGB, which has obviously made a difference to the picture. I have yet to play around with the settings, so is difficult so say whether there is a huge improvement. I'll be optimistic and say there looks like there could be some.

Having called Goodmans directly they say they do not even have the response time of the screen! They looked for some considerable time also apparently. I was assured that it is not particularly old technology and should be fine. What they did say is that (unsuprisingly) they are having a lot of calls from people complaining that SKY is looking rubbish on their screens. Unfortunately I'm in an area of terrible reception to see if an analogue reception is any good anyway!