26" LCD/LED to replace Sony Trinitron CRT

Danrv

Standard Member
Hi
I'm looking for a 26" LCD or LED TV for bedroom use to replace an old Sony
Trinitron 20".
Thinking of a Samsung UE26D4003 or similar but wondering how it would
handle Standard Definition sources. The picture on the Sony is excellent with a Freeview box,VHS and DVD via Scart but the tube is on it's way out.

Will the LCD be as good as the Trinitron for standard definition?
Any help appreciated.
Dan

Last edited:

vickster

Distinguished Member
There aren't many out there and LCDs do not usually handle SD as well as a good CRT. That said, I have a Sony 720p 26T3000 in my bedroom which is a couple of years old, hooked up to a Virgin SD box for free to air stuff and the picture is perfectly adequate as a 2nd TV for watching MOTD on a Saturday night or the news from around 8 feet

The best thing is to go and look at the options somewhere like Richer Sounds or John Lewis. My Sony is certainly decent and may make a good 2nd hand buy if you can find one on here or eBay :) There are good Sony and panasonic options out at the moment in a 24" with some network gubbins if of interest

Danrv

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply.
Samsung seems to have more models in the 26" size and are available from Amazon or Currys.
The current 26" from Sony (KDL-26X320B) looks good value although a couple of reviews say they're a bit dim.
I am finding that in the time it takes for reviews to become available, the models are discontinued.
Can't find anything on the Samsung UE26D4003 so I guess it's fairly recent.

vickster

Distinguished Member
They are 2011 models, will be replaced in spring 2012. I am not sure why dimness is an issue in a bedroom, I watch TV with only a bedside light or the lights off so a bit dimmer isn't an issue...I come from plasma too so am used to not having my retinas fried :D

Danrv

Standard Member
Thanks.
They have a few 26" TV's including the Sony at my local Currys so should be able to compare.
Have read though that it's not a good idea to make a decision purely on what you see
in store.
Will have trust the reviews.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom