1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

26" lcd hd ready £800?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by mattg, Aug 13, 2005.

1. mattg

mattg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    hello there,
    Sorry for another 26" thread, but I thought I would start my own one rather than trying to hijack everyone elses.

So far I started with the asda dual 26" and was happy with the overall quality of it, but realised it wasn't strictly HD ready.

the main connections I would want are:
    1x hdmi for ps3/xbox360 next year
    1x vga for laptop monitor out (native for gfx card is 1400*1050. no dvi connection)
    1x component in for dvd player
    scarts composite etc a bonus (video player / ps2 in the short term)

the main uses are:
    1. The primary reason for it to be HD ready @ 720p is for a ps3 investment next year. I can't see myself buying a new hddvd player and new media as I have 100+dvd's already and happy with watching them at present quality levels.

2.a) A second monitor for my laptop. This is also a very important feature as I want a second montior setup to make it easier researching coursework and searching the internet. The graphics card is a m10 radeon 9600, so it is fairly old with only a vga/s-video out. On the asda model it had 1280*1000ish native resolution and was acceptable but I did not like the viewable hight of websites etc as I am used to viewing them at 1400*1050 on my laptop. It won't stop me from buying one with this setup, but would a 1360*768 be more up my street. (sharp and jvc models?)

2.b)Games, I liked playing Cs:S on the 26" screen and didn't recognise any loss in quality on the asda set-up.

3. I may leave my dvd player at home and watch dvd's through my laptop vga combo. Is this a good solution or is the vga not as capable as component out?
    I am not an audio/videophile and accept that lcd's do have minor problems still with slight ghosting or tearing, but at the same time I really want a high quality picture as this is a lot of money to put into a tv, I am a student after all :)

things I want as a bonus:
    1. speakers along the bottom are important to me, but the budget has the last say...
    2. built in freeview box
    I would really like to reduce the amount of boxes in my room as next year my flat will be more cramped than at home. Are they same as external boxes, or do you loose function by it being built in.
    3. tv guide for freeview? I think some may not have this feature (epg i think it s is called)
    4. I'm not fussed with 100000 page teletext with 800 channels but picture in picture could be useful occasional. Not a requisite though.

so that a big list to troll through, thank you for getting this far.

now comes the budget:
    lots of overtime spent in a factory all summer has produced about £800 pounds to spend on a new tv, but can stretch to £1000 if there is a noticeable difference in quality/ function. The lower the price, the more I can save towards uni food budget and ps3 next year :)

the sets that have interested me so far are:
    jvc 26 d6
    sharp titanium 26"

I am getting confused with witch models are out already and which will be released soon. Timescale is not a massive factor, but would be nice if I could get the tv september time, otherwise I would wait until Christmas time. But september sounds a whole lot better :)

Thank you for reading through my thoughts and desires, and If anyone can give me a list of new 26" coming about, or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. I am going to have a look this afternoon and I'll report back some more models that I think will suite me.

Thanks again,
    Matt.

2. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the LG 26LX2R a week ago, which seems to fit your requirements -

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/455_263729.html

You can probably get it cheaper online, I didn't look.

HD-Ready, 1366x768, supports all SD and HD resolutions in both 50 and 60Hz, supports HDCP, HDMI, seems to be 8ms refresh. Excellent set so far.

No VGA but it does have a DVI-I and comes with a cable to connect any VGA device directly into the DVI port on your TV, so it's a non-issue.
    It comes with a cable to link your PC/Laptop audio-out into the TV also.

The Component on this device isn't excellent in my experience. It works, and works well, but seems a tad bright to my eyes. That said, I use a DVI DVD Player so it doesn't matter. You could use your Laptop for this also.
    2 Scarts (1 RGB), Composite AV, S-Video, RF.

Speakers are at the side too, no built-in Freeview... are these big issues for you?

3. mattg

mattg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    The freeview is not a major problem as I originally I did not realise sets have started to be shipped with it, but now I know it is possible I kind of want it. Still not the most important thing, but in a perfect word....

Also I do want the speakers along the bottom as the 26" asda set had them on the side and I found it too imposing for the size of my room. I'm hoping by having them on the bottom it will be more manageable.

Have you connected any consoles to your tv via scart? Did you like the way it looked if so?

Thanks for the quick response.

Matt.

4. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my PS2 connected via Scart and it looks lovely.

I have Freeview connected via Scart too and it looks nice, although the low resolution of Freeview transmissions means that Freeview looks like ass on such sets anyway.

5. mattg

mattg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    hmm, will a standard tuner give a better quality picture than freeview then?
    At home I have a roof top aerial connection but at sheffield (uni residents) I will be using a mini outdoor aerial set up in my room. larger than the standard indoor ones but more oomph for your wedge (£6). even if it is ugly as sin.

6. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I couldn't say to be honest, as I've not tried it, but I should imagine so. The main problem is that Freeview transmissions tend to be in 512x384 or even lower resolutions, in a relatively low bitrate, so they can fit more channels onto each mux.

Sky or Telewest look lovely on the set because they don't have to make such compromises.

7. mattg

mattg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    well not to worry too much about freeview then as I may be using telewest as an internet / tv provider this september.
    All these different model numbers are messing with my head.
    I think i'll take a break and make a fresh list up tonight.
    what are the best sites to review lcd's or have good search functions. Have used kelkoo today but didn't really get on with it?
    thanks, Matt.

8. stu.artd

stu.artd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +328
    The best thing to do is go to a retail store and have a look at as many 26" LCD TV's as you can, some look more imposing than others, and of the ones I've seen many of the sets with speakers at the side were less bulky looking due to their lower height.

Also consider the Sagem LD27, as that covers most of what you're looking for.

I'm currently trying to decide on a 26" set myself.

9. mattg

mattg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
  10. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Samsung LE26R41BDX available at comet for £649.99 on-line meets all your spec and is Very good. I love mine.

Just been reviewed in latest AV mag (cant remeber which one...what widescreen TV i think) got 94% + best - buy etc.

11. multiply

multiply

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I just checked, and Comet are selling these for £699 .. and that is the 'special' online price.

Digi-uk.com expect a delivery by the end of this week (mine is on order with them) - £648.50 (inc. Delivery) for the BDX.

12. mattg

mattg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    will be on holiday at the end of week but would love to see some photo's if possible and your first impressions multiply.
    have you used it as a pc monitor yet? how did you find the resolution?
    I think a trip is in order to john lewis and comet.
    Thanks
    Matt.

edit:

Also does the freeview have the interactive features?

13. multiply

multiply

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have been promised delivery on Saturday and so will have the long weekend to 'play'. Will post a report ASAP.
    On another note, the bulb in my Grand Wega KF-50SX200U has just gone (£300 to replace), so I think it's time to change my main telly. Those 60" plasmas are starting to look sweet...... :rolleyes:

14. mattg

mattg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    me again, back from hols :D

Just found the Sharp Aquos LC-26GA6E for £636.85 from here
    I think it is sharps latest model and has the 60,000 hour garuntee for the back light which is good for piece of mind. Anyone think there is better out there as I think £630 is pretty good for this years round of lcds?

EDIT NOW GOING WITH SAMSUNG - LE26R51BD

15. mattg

mattg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    OK, So I have now made my final decision and decided upon this model as I believe it suits all of my needs:

SAMSUNG - LE26R51BD

One last question I have for all of you very helpful poeple here is:
    "where is the cheapest place I can get it from?" prefereably within the next week or so.

I can get it from dixons online for £699 using the "discount 50" voucher code. This seems reasonable as it would be easier to take back it if it goes wrong etc.
    (I am in oxford until Saturday, then going back up to Sheffield for uni.)

16. mitor

mitor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Hi

just a quick reminder to you, that altough dealing with someone like dixons is good to have the "big' name. Remember that the online side of these companies is always seperate. You usually get no interest from the retail shops if you have a problem (this applies to comet, pc world et al) If you have a problem, they will almost certainly refer you to the online site.

Still, sounds like a good price for the GA6 model!

Good luck!

:)

17. mattg

mattg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    Sorry I didn't make it that clear in my previous post's that it is now the SAMSUNG - LE26R51BD model I am intending to purchase.

Thanks for the heads up on dixons though, I didn't realise. I wouldn't mind buying from an "online shop" as long as it is cheaper than a high street shop.

I did a froogle on it, but it is hard to get exact maches.

18. mattg

mattg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    hello all,

I have just purchased the samsung 26" idtv model and can only get 1024*768 monitor display. Any higher and I get a blue screen saying "output not supported".
    My laptop has a 15" monitor at 1400*1050 native resolution. My graphics card is a m10 ati 9600 and I am using the cat 5.8 drivers. so far I can only extend my desktop at 1024*768.
    Can anyone help me out?
    thanks, Matt.

p.s. my internet access is v.limitted at the mo due to changing flats.