1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

26" LCD big enough for living room?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Pezerinno, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hi, I will be moving to a bigger apartment in the next few months and am wondering whether to sell my sharp LC26GA4E TV. It would be my main telly in the living room and I will probably be sitting about 10-12ft away, would the 26" be big enough?

In magazines and websites it tends to recommend something like a 37"/42" for that distance but is that just to have for home cinema? Surely not everyone has massive tellies in their living rooms these days? I mean a 26" LCD is the same size as a 28" CRT which was a pretty common size TV for living room a couple of years ago wasn't it?

I have only had this tv about a month and half so am worried I'll make a big loss if I try and sell it.

Nick.

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It'll be OK. Just. You'll be able to see what's on, but, as you say. It'll hardly be cinematic!

For 10 - 12 feet away I would say a 32" - 37" would be ideal, so your wee 26" will just about do. Try it and see....

Jimmy

3. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I just moved house and i'm now sitting 12 foot away from the TV. For normal TV viewing my 28" CRT is fine for me but my gf has a bit of difficulty reading some stuff on the tv. When it comes to playing the PS2 i have to move a seat closer to play properly and with DVD watching it does feel noticeably small. I'm now looking for a bigger screen which is why i'm lurking on these forums. :D

4. BADA55

BADA55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

Yeah 26" is way too small for a living room (my 26" lcd is in the bedroom and its fine to view at about 6-8 feet away.

I still use a 28" 4:3 crt in my living room mainly coz there is going to be a lot more choice and cheaper prices on LCD's next year so I'm waiting till then :) Also the 28" 4:3 crt's height is about the same as a 32" (or is it 36"?) 16:9 so I'm only loosing a little on width at the moment and I can live with that for now.

If you can stretch to it buy yourself a 32" for now.....A good reco would be the Video7 32" from the likes of eBuyer. An excellent tv from all reports and way under £1000. You can always shift that one onto a bedroom wall in a year or two when the dust has settled a bit and there are much better options available to you :)

5. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thanks for the replies - this is the current dilema. Currently have the sharp in my bedroom (share a flat with 5 people) - view from around 8 feet away (manage to get the cinematic experience due to this short distance). In september I will be moving into my own apartment. Between June and September I will be staying at parents house for the Summer and don't need a tv so I would sell my Sharp in June most probably.

Happy to spend around £2000-2500 on av stuff plus whatever I get for the Sharp. I would want an amp and 5.1 speakers included in that price (already have dvd player and PVR etc). If I don't go so big on the sound I could prob buy something like a 42" panny pw7 plasma plus a scaler plus ISF calibration.

Problem - no longer have the box for the sharp and also it has a biggish scratch on the right speakers (stupid couriers!) which could damage selling ability. Another problem is transporting a big screen - especially if I buy a plasma as they have to be kept upright (I go home to my parents every summer for 3 months and I would have to take my telly with me).

I am into music although I wouldn't call myself an audiophile but I can't help but think of the cracking stereo system I could get for upto £2.5k

Oh what to do....

6. BADA55

BADA55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As I said earlier I think you would be best off buying a cheap 26-32" lcd tv for then and once the market has settled you could get something better and transfer the smaller set into the bedroom. So if you bought the 32" Video7 for example that would leave you £1500+ still for sound. Denon surround amp £350...REL sub £600 and any speaker package you like for the remaining £600ish left over. This set up should still be great with music too. Im assuming you have a dvd player? If not keep to a good budget one (sub £100) for now till you see what happens with regards to Bluray/HDDVD next year and therefore which looks the best option to buy :)

7. fathead82

fathead82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THis is the exact same position as me. Just about to move in & totally renovate a 2 bedroom studio style flat - my first ever property purchase. I'm on a real tight budget, but need a nice LCD TV for the place. In order to save space I'm going downthe HTPC route for my PC & building up a nice small case. I'm just about to order the Video7 32" screen to use as my main TV & PC monitor.

Only thing is I'm going to be stuck with this TV for sometime, and I'm worried buying the video7 will mean this time next year I'm sat with a TV that is totally out spec'ed in the market place & pretty damn useless.

8. BADA55

BADA55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Not much chance of that. The Video7 has all the connections you should need. It is advertised as an HDTV and therefore must be HDCP compliant.
    So any new format, like Bluray/HDDVD will play happily through this tv.
    The point I was trying to make is that there will be more tv's to choose from like the Video7 at reasonable prices from the top manufacturers. If they dont lower prices they will lose out to the cheaper and excellent quality lesser/unknown brands.
    You wont regret buying that Video7 because it is very reasonably priced already and future proofed.

9. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    If I sell my sharp to get a bigger telly I would probably buy at least a 37" to make the jump in size more prominent and I would hate to then find I would prefer a bigger screen than 32" i.e make the same mistake again.

10. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    I have a 27" LCD for a PC monitor mainly and I measured the pic on this vs. the 32" Panny in the livving room. The LCD is 27" as you'd expect but the Panny comes in at 29" (actual display). While I wouldn't choose a 27" as the main TV I have to say it was fine while I had it in there just trying it out from ~10', hardly any difference from the Panny. Were I to start the other way around I'd choose a 32" LCD.

However in your situation I'd suggest staying with the Sharp and sorting the rest of your AV needs as LCD prices are falling constantly and by the time everything else is sorted you should be able to get a 32/37" LCD for much less than now. You'll take a loss on the Sharp and now be buying at higher prices than will exist in 6/9/12 months time. Just my 2p.... :hiya: