1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

26 inch HDTV

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by AlShack, Oct 21, 2004.

1. AlShack

AlShack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking at the JVC 26D50BJ and the Sharp LC-26GA3E and 4E.

Anyone know if they are HDTV compatible? Anyone eny experiences of them?

I need something no more than 700mm wide, so 26" is the limit I think.

Anyone any tips? I seem to be going round & round, and I want one now ( you know how it is - I've had approval from the finance director, so better get myself shopping :)).

Would also love to be able to price-match at John Lewis to get the 5 year warranty :thumbsup:

Cheers
    Al

2. paulgardam

paulgardam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think JL will only price match on a like for like price - ie. they'll only price match a seller that gives a 5yr warranty.

3. danf_42

danf_42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last I heard John Lewis wouldn't match website prices. They were loosing too much money matching companies that didn't have their overheads.

4. jgrg

jgrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Al,

The Sharp is HDTV compatible via its component inputs. But I wouldn't buy it as an HDTV monitor because it doesn't have a digital HDTV connection, which is the future. (It's DVI input is for PC only.) I wish these Sharp models were like their equivalent models in the USA that have both HDMI (for HDTV) and DVI (for PC) connections.

James

5. AlShack

AlShack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, that's my weekend shopping b#ggered then!

Any more tips for HDTV via digital input? Anyone know much about the JVC LT-26D50BJ

I presume I'll be able to connect my Sony DAV-S550 system to the new telly (if I find one!) digitally? And the ntl digital cable TV box? What cables will I need?

Aplogies for numpty questions, a bit new to all this (I'm replacing a 15 year old Sony 21" mono TV!)

Cheers
    Al

6. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    You will not be able to connect your DAVS550 digitally, as it had no digital output.

You will need a DVD player with a DVI or HDMI output to connect digitally - iirc there are no all in one systems at the moment with these outputs.

7. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    That's not the case, well, it wasn't when I used to work for John Lewis 3 years ago. The 5 year guarentee is free. Therefore, if you can find a shop selling it cheaper they'll match the price, and still give you the 5 year guarentee free. :)

When I was at J.Lewis, they'd even match internet price! I got my dad a 32" Sony crt with 5 year guarentee some £450 cheaper than Comet, dixons, Sony and all the rest. With the 5 year free guarentee being worth £150, that was a £600 saving. Unfortuantly they stopped matching net prices later that year.

8. bobbytech

bobbytech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alshack,

Have you made your choice yet? I've been searching for the last 3 weeks and have now shortlisted the two models you mention - the Sharp lc-26ga3 and the JVC ld-26d50bj.

Or have you since added others to your list?

9. AlShack

AlShack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @Bobbytech

Bought the Sharp yesterday & set it up last night. Not properly set up yet as I just had to go out & get drunk instead :zonked:

Will have a play tonight & get it sorted properly (see other thread!).

Looks the dogs though - even switched off! Went for this one because of the detachable speakers.

Happy shopping!

10. bobbytech

bobbytech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alshack,

How much did you pay? Where did you buy yours?

I am slightly paranoid about dead pixels and would probably want to attempt an exchange if mine turned up with some/one(?) duds. I believe (from other threads) that some online retailers are fine about switching where this happens upon delivery. Was this something you considered?

Also, can you (or anyone) help me with a decent detailed spec list for both these models? I've got a fairly good one for the JVC from their website but the Sharp equivalent is far less detailed making a direct comparison difficult.

Thanks,

11. nemo

nemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    You can download the manual for the Sharp from

http://www.sharp.co.uk/customersupport/manual/

12. bobbytech

bobbytech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nemo,

I tried this yesterday and all the links were down. Seems they've restored them!

13. bobbytech

bobbytech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @Alshack, (and anyone browsing with info...)

Sorry to hassle you, but having looked at this further today, I think I'm decided on the Sharp, but still have some worrying niggles that you can probably clarify...

1. Does this come with Teletext? The manual makes no mention of it but some (not all!) website specs mention it. If so does it offer picture and text side by side?

2. Are there 2 or 3 scarts? And how many are RGB? (Even this isn't clear to me from the manual)

3. Is there 1 or 2 component inputs? (Ditto above!)

4. Any recommendations where to buy? I have downloaded the Sharp 3 Year warranty, so just looking for quick delivery (and ideally free) and maybe interest free credit to help ease the pain ;-)

BTW, anyone considering this, I found the PC card input and functionality that enables you to save still and moving images from the TV to the card a really useful feature that I'd not read about anywhere except in the manual!

14. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Don't set your heart on this feature. It is in the 3H and I can find no mention of it on the 3E. The H must be for other markets as it has multiple component inputs rather than Scart sockets.

Cheapest place for this is Empire direct. £917 delivered and they offer a 12 month pay later period. Only a 1 year warranty though.

Check some of the other threads (or try google, pricerunner, kelkoo etc), you can get it sub £1k with the 3 year warranty.

Robert Whyte are a bit more expensive (£1059 but try haggling, I got somewhere as a past customer) but offer a free 5 year warranty and 18 months of real interest free credit. (ie you pay off each month).

Expecting mine this week... ;)

Cheers
    Marc

15. AlShack

AlShack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @Bobbytech

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

Haven't had a proper play yet - been too drunk & too busy.

Will try & have a proper look tonight & report back with answers later.

Bought mine from JohnLewis as I got a deal on some vouchers. Just looking around for a good PriceMatch to save myself some more dosh now ...

16. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I should also add, that I asked Robert Whytle about dead pixels and they rang up Sharp, apparently if I have any complaints the set will be swapped for a new one.

Which is good!

17. bobbytech

bobbytech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Marc,

Thanks for your posts - very helpful.

Good job you picked up on the PC Card feature - I thought I hadn't noticed it when browsing the stores in Tottenham Court Road!

Robert Whyte looks like a good choice if they can do a deal on the price. I'll shortlist them.

Alshack, thanks for the update. I'll await your detailed responses when you can.

Rob

18. AlShack

AlShack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, all sorted with the connections, I think.

On trying to set it up, it has numerous inputs, but I am limited by the outputs from the other kit.

ntl has two scarts (marked video & TV); cheepie VCR has two scarts (AV1 & AV2); DVD system (all-in-on home cinema Sony DAVS-550) has no scarts, but component video, video 1 jacks (2 audio & 1 video), video 2 jacks (2 audio & 1 video), digital in (optical) for video 2.

So, I was thinking:
    - Sony DVD --> TV via component (for best picture quality)
    - ntl --> TV via Scart (to minimise losses)
    - ntl --> VCR --> TV via scart (so I can record/playback stuff).

Only problem is I have removed the speakers from the TV & want to use the surround sound speakers from the DVD system for listening to ntl & VCR playback.

I have taken an audio out feed from the TV back into the Sony, which works. This the only way?

Have to say I am not overwhelmed with the picture quality. DVD's look good (via component), but ntl digital is not that great, even through a good quality scart.

I guess I need to get the manual out & play with contrasts, backlights etc etc.

Any tips?!?!?

Cheers
    Al

19. bobbytech

bobbytech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for more info Al,

Any comments on these queries from my earlier post...

>1. Does this come with Teletext? The manual makes no mention of it but some (not all!) website specs mention it. If so does it offer picture and text side by side?

>2. Are there 2 or 3 scarts? And how many are RGB? (Even this isn't clear to me from the manual)

>3. Is there 1 or 2 component inputs? (Ditto above!)

Sorry I can't help you out in exchange with any of the technical info.

Rob

20. AlShack

AlShack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob

In answer to your questions:

1 - yes, it does have teletext (haven't used it as my house doesn't have a conventional ariel, just ntl cable

2 - 2 scarts (input 1 is CVBS/RGB, input 2 is YC, CVBS)

3 - 1 component

Also has S-Video, DVI-I input (for PC digital, PC analogue, AV digital, AV analogue), RS-232C input, 9v DC output

Go to http://www.sharp.co.uk/customersupport/manual/showmanuals.asp?Model=LC26GA4E&SAPModel=LC26GA4E to see the manual I've just got this lot from.

Cheers
    Al

21. bobbytech

bobbytech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Al,

I might order this weekend. Hope you improve your picture with your tweaking. Please post here the settings if you do!

Cheers,

Rob

22. bobbytech

bobbytech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Al,

How are you getting on with you picture tweaking? Any better? I will probably order in the next week and would like to hear great things about this before I do - if you can offer any such comments!

Cheers,

Rob

p.s. anyone know of any reviews of this model - I cannot find one anywhere?

23. AlShack

AlShack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob

I've changed the cabling to have a better quality scart from ntl direct to the TV (it used to be via the VCR). Picture is better, although not sure why that is - could be me getting used to it, or it "settling in" (I read somewhere about LCD's getting better the more they are used :confused: )

DVDs look excellent via component.

On the whole, I'm very pleased with it (and, more importantly, so is my wife :D ).

As long as you are at least 2 metres away, preferably 3, the picture is superb. Can't say anything about the speakers as I took them off straight away.

Go, you know you want one :thumbsup:

24. bobbytech

bobbytech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Al,

I just wanted to check you went for the LC26GA3E finally and not the 4E?

Just thought I ought to be sure - did want to take on board your comments only to discover you bought a different model!

(Or are they the same spec but simply with the speakers in a different place??)

Rob

25. AlShack

AlShack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bobbytech

I got the 4E (speakers at the side), whereas the 3E has the speaker (singular) at the bottom.

Exactly the same machine, but slightly different chassis to fix speakers, and the stand is a little talelr on the 3E.

I think I'm right. Checkout the SHARP website & the pdf manual downloads to be sure.

Cheers
    Al

26. bobbytech

bobbytech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Al,

Have checked out both manuals and the spec appears to be identical.

Guess its time to stop delaying the inevitable and track down a reputable supplier online who can sell cheap and deliver quickly! :thumbsup:

Rob

27. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    My 3E just arrived!

Now just have to wait to get home to play with it....

28. bobbytech

bobbytech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool uczmeg!

Maybe we can exchange tips when I get mine?

Did you buy from Robert Whyte in the end?

Rob

29. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Yes got it from RW. The 18 months to pay won me over.

Sharing tips would be good, as I've just seen there are a hell of a lot of settings to twiddle with! :eek:

30. bobbytech

bobbytech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

Just thought I'd let you know my 26" GA3 arrived late yesterday afternoon :clap:

Only had 50 minutes (!) with it before having to leave for the Beastie Boys gig at Wembley last night. :( Have college tonight after work, and have to work late tomorrow evening - so not much detailed playing to be done just yet. Fortunately, I have Friday afternoon booked off as holiday. I plan to get busy with the remote then. ;)

Alshack, see what you mean about being a reasonable distance from the set (i.e. no less than 2 meters). Close up it looks like the image is almost 'falling apart'! But that's seems to be a 'feature' of the LCD technology. But at a distance it looks well tasty! :smoke: But that's with the default settings - which we all know are not ideal and just 50 minutes play time.

Have seen the other thread developing regarding settings so will make a start with those and post any views I have to that list. Can I ask you guys to do the same if you're so inclined?

For information: I ended up buying mine through buyyourav who were very helpful and chatty on the phone. Reassured me a lot about dead pixels (none to report :thumbsup: ) and aftersales service etc. Worth paying the extra £40 in my view. But having looked at their site this morning - looks like they're out of stock of the GA3 at the moment. I wonder if I had their last one??

Rob