1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

26/32" LCD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by simonio, Jul 18, 2005.

1. simonio

simonio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I've been thinking about getting myself an LCD for probably 3 or 4 months now. Basically im undecided as to whether I need a 26" or 32". I technically could afford either but only live in a one bedroom flat and am worried a 32 would over power the room!

I'll mainly use the tv for sky, dvd's and a modded xbox but it must be future proof so I think HDMI is the way forward?

Finally, Im a massive football fan though so its important the sky broadcasts are decent with no blurring etc - are then any that can achieve this or is it a little early for lcd? Ive seen some shocking pictures in stores.

Just wondered what the people in the know thought?
    Thanks in advance.
    Simonio

2. knowley

knowley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the viewing distance must play a large part in it.

I can't decide between 26-32" either, my set would be just under 6 feet away. Personally I'd love the 32" to be ok because I want one of those Philips 9986s, but am also concerned it'll be too close and overpowering.

My mothers 30" Sony had a good picture when I watch the F1 on it, but this was from about 7 feet away.

I found this...

3. braveknight

braveknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TBH, I don't think it really matters, and I tend to look at viewing distances the other way round - ie. for a given viewing distance, I have a minimum acceptable size for a screen.

A lot of the recommendations for viewing distances are rather out of date, and are taken from standard resolution screens, and even CRT/NTSC where the scanlines are that much more obvious from further distances. With the higher resolutions of LCD, you can afford to sit closer without the pictures breaking up - and they don't tend to have the searing brightness of some plasma or CRT screens (or the radiation effects either?)

IMHO, CRTs dominated rooms more from their depth, than the size of the screen (although the depth was related to the size of the screen, so it's a factor in that sense). A small room can certainly stand to take a much larger LCD or plasma, because regardless of screen size it will only ever encroach into the room a few inches.

If you make quite a large jump in screen sizes, it will feel a bit strange to begin with, but that almost always dissappears quite quickly. It's more a question of what you personally are prepared to have - there really isn't a hard and fast rule.

4. simonio

simonio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tips guys. I think I may end up going for the Panny TX26LXD500. The price is expensive but the reviews have been out of this world. Anyone know a release date?

5. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
  6. Pisky

Pisky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too am tempted by the panny tx26lxd500 so I will be very interested in your comments when you take the plunge. I would like to team the panny up with a Samsung DVD HD945 so if anyone has any comments or first hand experience.....