1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

26" - 30" LCD Advice

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by spaced_penguin, Feb 13, 2005.

1. spaced_penguin

spaced_penguin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I’ve recently purchased a Denon DHT500SD Home cinema system and I’m now looking at a new TV in order to get the best out of the system.

I was originally looking at the plasma Panasonic, I have a few friends with this set but I’ve decided that this is to big for the room as am limited by space.

I’m now looking at a set between 26” to 30” so I’m limited to LCD. The two that I’ve been looking at are:
    Panasonic LCD TX26LXD1
    Sharp LCD LC26GA4E

Does anybody own these sets and have any opinions or have any recommendations.

I saw the LCD Panasonic TH37PW, but it seemed to ghost the image in the shop, am not sure if this was due to the reception. The Panasonic had a good write up in What Hi Fi but will LCD technology improve quickly over the next few years and will I be better off waiting for it to improve.

I only have an indoor aerial at the moment, which gives a clear picture on a CRT but due to the ghosting of the image in the shop am worried that I’ll have to have an external aerial installed.

2. AgentPingu

AgentPingu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMHO I'd go for the Sharp over the Panny as it is more future proof, the Sharps seem to be very highly rated, especially the 32", although they are like goldust these days.

Not to sure about your name though Spaced Penguin.........there's only room for one Penguin in these forums. :)

3. Random Hajile

Random Hajile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Sharp definately, has far better inputs than the panny which is lacking DVI (i think). Plus the sharp doesn`t suffer from bluring and produces great blacks. But i`ve seen the panny on a good source and also produces a great picture with no noticable blurring. So image wise you can`t go wrong with either. But to be honest if your only using it for terrestrial i wouldn`t bother with a LCD and just go for a CRT as the minimum input you want for one of these babys is sky digital/freeview.

4. spaced_penguin

spaced_penguin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CRT is too big I don't have the depth. I want a TV that will have component video and progressive scan, as I watch a lot of DVD's. I am not currently getting the best picture that my DVD player can give.

If I buy the sharp then I'd need to buy a freeview box in order to receive a TV signal as it doesn’t come with an internal freeview receiver so I would receive digital TV.